Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Offseason

Default 2024 Offseason

Coming off a season in which the team finished 11th at B12s, only had two guys place at the conference tournament, and had only one NCAA qualifier, things are about as low as possible.

They badly need to get some depth and bring in some guys who can compete for NCAA bids.

Unfortunately, they've seen a bunch of guys enter the portal early on this offseason. Mooberry, Duda, Rivera-Cain, Licht, Klohs, and Mills are all gone, and that likely won't be all.

Losing Licht, Mills, and Rivera-Cain from the 2023 class makes that class a lot thinner and they badly needed to hit on that class.

Losing Mooberry is really rough, as he was one of their leaders and a starter with two years of eligibility left. They don't have a single 197 on the roster now too which will very likely create a very large hole in the lineup barring a portal addition.

As bad as last year was, the staff needs to find some fixes this offseason, and it's not off to a great start.

Here's to hoping they have a good plan and execute it well.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2024 Offseason

I’m trying to look at the bright side. I don’t feel any of the guys who have left are really high level guys. We badly need need bodies at 125 and 197 just to fill out the roster. Hopefully all the incoming freshmen can redshirt. Perfect world Brenot wrestles 184 so Cherne can take a redshirt, as I think that could really benefit him.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not a NQ IMO that’s leaving to this point. With the portal and NIL changing the game significantly redshirting isn’t going to happen as much. These kids are probably going to get every chance as TF to start as you don’t know if you’re going to have them for four years anymore. They have to start hitting on some of these kids and then sprinkle in some transfers like they’re doing at HWT. The portal is filling up fast with back ups from places like Iowa, Iowa St and Minnesota with kids that haven’t gotten opportunities for whatever reason. Those, IMO are the ones that they need to go after. The ranked starters aren’t coming here. Get a non starter from Iowa that makes the starting lineup here and open up an “opportunity” pipeline for others to do the same. I would love to see a kid like Jason Krassier of Iowa St come here. 2023 NQ and Round of 16 performer that lost his spot to a TF would be a great get. Unfortunately I think he could get more money to go to an Indiana, Wisconsin or a Purdue. The Shepard kid from MiZzou is a kid that NDSU recruited but lost out on. Maybe someone like him that given an opportunity develops into what they originally thought he would be.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    Not a NQ IMO that’s leaving to this point. With the portal and NIL changing the game significantly redshirting isn’t going to happen as much. These kids are probably going to get every chance as TF to start as you don’t know if you’re going to have them for four years anymore. They have to start hitting on some of these kids and then sprinkle in some transfers like they’re doing at HWT. The portal is filling up fast with back ups from places like Iowa, Iowa St and Minnesota with kids that haven’t gotten opportunities for whatever reason. Those, IMO are the ones that they need to go after. The ranked starters aren’t coming here. Get a non starter from Iowa that makes the starting lineup here and open up an “opportunity” pipeline for others to do the same. I would love to see a kid like Jason Krassier of Iowa St come here. 2023 NQ and Round of 16 performer that lost his spot to a TF would be a great get. Unfortunately I think he could get more money to go to an Indiana, Wisconsin or a Purdue. The Shepard kid from MiZzou is a kid that NDSU recruited but lost out on. Maybe someone like him that given an opportunity develops into what they originally thought he would be.
    Completely agree. Target the backups and young guys looking for opportunities. I'd love to see them take a shot on the 197 lb D3 national champ from Wartburg and Jacob Joyce from Stanford at 125. They badly need help and bodies at the top and bottom of the lineup. We're not in bad shape in the middle with Drexler, Peterson, March, Greenley, Howes, Sax, and Magayna all between 141 and 174.

Sounds like Oklahoma might get Appalachian State's two best guys.

Walker Bents is in the portal too. Another depth guy, but again, this team has no depth to begin with, so they need to continue to add.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Maybe this has been covered and I missed it but is March officially done or coming back next year? I believe he has a RS year and probably a medical too. Would be big if he’s healthy and in the lineup. Would allow some lineup depth and/or flexibility of kids maybe moving up weights.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    Maybe this has been covered and I missed it but is March officially done or coming back next year? I believe he has a RS year and probably a medical too. Would be big if he’s healthy and in the lineup. Would allow some lineup depth and/or flexibility of kids maybe moving up weights.
    I haven't see it anywhere as being official, but I've heard he'll be back.

Mason Gode has entered the portal too. Makes at least 8 that are moving on.

No longer see Zach Silvis on the roster either, and the 2024-2025 roster has already removed all of the other guys noted as leaving. So he would make 9 departures

Spencer Mooberry to Northern Illinois. Ouch

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Spencer Mooberry to Northern Illinois. Ouch
    That’s a surprise. I figured he’d go the d2 route and find someplace closer to home.

Fernando Baretto is in the portal. This program is in trouble

It's not like he was good, but he was very talented and just didn't develop. They already had no depth at the light weights and now their starter at 133 is gone.

That's two starters who have shown promise that have left and brings us to what, 9 or 10 guys departing this year? And that's after the exodus last year with only one JUCO transfer brought in.

I'm not a fan of the recruiting class they're bringing in either, and most of the good 2025 recruits are spoken for.

Obe needs to add guys via the portal. Absolutely has to if they want to improve over last year, which may have been their worst of the D1 era and definitely the worst of their B12 era.