Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Scott Miller

Da Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Scott Miller Has Passed Away

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    I will buy one of these. From Brian Shawn tweet...
    Awesome shirts available at @Scheels honoring Scotty Miller... Proceeds to benefit the Roger Maris Cancer Center.
    Attachment 6881
    I will be buying one or two of these, along with a donation to the RMCC.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    The original Da Bison.
    Not to be confused with imposters

The shirts I hear are $10. Unless they announced wrong on the radio.
    Also heard Bohl flew in for the funeral. Nice.
    Kelly and Bubba were also there, so they get a one day grace from ridicule for being kind.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

jimmyptubas is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Scott Miller

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    He was just enough homer to keep the home fans happy but also have props to other teams when due.

The cal poly game sticks out too with the "are you kidding me" quote. That was a game I nearly didn't finish listening to, my wife had stuck a fork in them. Luckily I kept listening and we both got to hear the ending. Trying to remember many other games I've listened to live, obviously many dubbed videos, that stick out. Most of the other recent wild ending games were at home or on tv...

Gopher game III with the Marcus pick 6 that sealed the game is about the only one off to of my head.
    It's been a few months but I just wanted to dovetail off your though: I lived in the cities back then and it was my first year getting back into bison sports...the cal poly game was so amazing. I think that was the first game where I really started to feel like i knew the annoucners..i called in after and as of my last check...i'm still on the audio of the post game show...i don't think i talked to scotty but man...over the last 8 years he certainly became a familiar voice.....and even my wife who really doesn't care for sports and has few ties to Fargo..she knew all about "my oh my".

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Reflection on what Scott Miller meant to me

Like many Bison fans, I never got to meet Scott Miller. Yes, I saw him in person many times, but never had a conversation with him. From everything I have read, he was clearly a wonderful human being who touched the lives of many in more substantial ways than how he touched my life.

Yet, what a legacy he has left in Bison broadcasting. The reality is he DID touch so many of our lives and I suspect even he did not fully realize this before his passing. I’d like just to tell my own story and how Scott touched my life.

I am a lifelong Bison fan; the son of an alumni and having grown up the 1980’s during the incredible run they had. I used to listen to every game in high school (prior to Scott). I then attended NDSU and closely followed each and every game.

I admit, after graduation from NDSU, and undergoing more post graduate training in the Twin Cities, I did not follow NDSU as closely for a few years. I maybe streamed one-two games in 4 years, and traveled up to the UND game each year. I would not even have known who Scott Miller was at that time even though he was working games. But like many things associated with NDSU, everything changed for me when they went Division 1.

At the same time of the move up, I moved to Duluth, MN. Streaming was no longer a new thing, and NDSU even started tinkering with video streaming around that time. The Division 1 move completely changed my apathetic attitude like I suspect it did many others. I so wanted to see them succeed as I thought the move was so long overdue. I started streaming games more regularly. Of course the voice I heard was Scott Miller.

2006 was a year that will stand out as a watershed moment for many Bison fans; it is also the year that reverted me to the complete crazy fan of my youth, including college. I, like many, travelled to Minneapolis hoping to have a good time, pretty excited the Bison were getting a chance to play the Gophers. But everything changed for me that day. Suddenly, I started to fully understand what was possible despite the loss. I realized NDSU was on the cusp of dominance once again. I watched or listened to basically every single Bison game starting at that time.

So there I was, in an unfinished room in the basement every Saturday streaming every game. My kids were too little to appreciate football, and my wife was not interested. So I was by myself, or so I thought. In retrospect, Scott Miller was with me.

My most vivid memory was listening to the 2007 Sam Houston State game completely despaired that NDSU seemed to be destined to defeat. Then, two of the most improbably plays in Bison history happened, and NDSU wins. The joy of the moment literally came through the computer speakers. And who was it that described the scene? Scott Miller

My point is Scott Miller was there for all of us who could not be at every game. His voice was flawless; his excitement real, his delivery, perfect. He was the friend who took us to the game when we could not be there.

So, all of you business folks who were on the road, so you could not get to every game;

All of you North Dakotans who could not watch the games before the TV days;

All of you transplants in other states who started following the Bison more closely due to streaming and the D1 move;

All of you younger fans who have watched the numerous You Tube clips NDSU has put out with Scott’s voice;

All of you famers who were busy bringing the harvest listening to the Bison;

When you get home tonight, raise a toast to the memory of Scott Miller. Ask your spouse, kids and other family to say prayers for the family of Scott Miller for comfort and support. Say a prayer for all those associated with NDSU who are hurting due to his passing. And finally, say a prayer of Thanksgiving to the Lord for giving us Scott Miller.

Scott, I hope you know how you touched all of our lives for the better.
    Thought I'd bump this since Kolpack used it in his book. I was very honored to have this included.

Has there been any mention about how NDSU is planning on honoring Scottie? Hope they do something like the Redhawks did. Not saying they need to name the pressbox at the dome or the SHAC after him; but I would hope a banner or something.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Hopefully they do something permanent in the SHAC for him. He was the only connection to Bison athletics for a lot of us and is a home grown North Dakota talent. I am sure they will do a montage video of his work before the first game or at halftime. Hanging the #20 (1996-2016) would be a fitting tribute

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I love how The Insiders use a ton of Scotty's calls in the opening. I hope that continues for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Hopefully they do something permanent in the SHAC for him. He was the only connection to Bison athletics for a lot of us and is a home grown North Dakota talent. I am sure they will do a montage video of his work before the first game or at halftime. Hanging the #20 (1996-2016) would be a fitting tribute
    Dont understand this part????
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Dont understand this part????
    20 years he called the games? Symbolic?
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    20 years he called the games? Symbolic?
    Thanks.....
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."