Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Miller

Default Re: Scott Miller Has Passed Away

Quote Originally Posted by Herd890 View Post
    Very Sad, Scotty was the best. Silky smooth broadcaster who never lost a beat. My thoughts go out to the Miller family today. Fargo and NDSU truly lost a legend.

I hope the team considers a 'My Oh My' patch on our jerseys next year to pay tribute as he has meant that much to Bison athletics.
    Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 12.31.25 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 12.35.41 PM.jpg

Maybe a little bit like this. I don't have the true font but this is in the ballpark.
    Keep your expectations low enough and you will always be happy with the results

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Jack Michaels I'm sure
    Meh... Jack was ok as a fill in but I'm not sure he could achieve the level that Scott did? Just going off of games I've heard him call when Scott was out or had another game going on at the same time. He's been play by play for awhile so it's not like he's new to it and has a lot of room for improvement. But then it's like going from Herb Carneal and Jon Gordon combo to Corey Probus (sp?) and Dan Gladden combo? I probably live with it but he likely will not be as endearing to the fans as Scottie was.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Meh... Jack was ok as a fill in but I'm not sure he could achieve the level that Scott did? Just going off of games I've heard him call when Scott was out or had another game going on at the same time. He's been play by play for awhile so it's not like he's new to it and has a lot of room for improvement. But then it's like going from Herb Carneal and Jon Gordon combo to Corey Probus (sp?) and Dan Gladden combo? I probably live with it but he likely will not be as endearing to the fans as Scottie was.
    Trust me I'm not on the JM bandwagon

But that's for another day to discuss and a different thread

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A sad day indeed for Bison Nation.

May God hold you in the palm of His hand Scottie Miller.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Reflection on what Scott Miller meant to me

Like many Bison fans, I never got to meet Scott Miller. Yes, I saw him in person many times, but never had a conversation with him. From everything I have read, he was clearly a wonderful human being who touched the lives of many in more substantial ways than how he touched my life.

Yet, what a legacy he has left in Bison broadcasting. The reality is he DID touch so many of our lives and I suspect even he did not fully realize this before his passing. I’d like just to tell my own story and how Scott touched my life.

I am a lifelong Bison fan; the son of an alumni and having grown up the 1980’s during the incredible run they had. I used to listen to every game in high school (prior to Scott). I then attended NDSU and closely followed each and every game.

I admit, after graduation from NDSU, and undergoing more post graduate training in the Twin Cities, I did not follow NDSU as closely for a few years. I maybe streamed one-two games in 4 years, and traveled up to the UND game each year. I would not even have known who Scott Miller was at that time even though he was working games. But like many things associated with NDSU, everything changed for me when they went Division 1.

At the same time of the move up, I moved to Duluth, MN. Streaming was no longer a new thing, and NDSU even started tinkering with video streaming around that time. The Division 1 move completely changed my apathetic attitude like I suspect it did many others. I so wanted to see them succeed as I thought the move was so long overdue. I started streaming games more regularly. Of course the voice I heard was Scott Miller.

2006 was a year that will stand out as a watershed moment for many Bison fans; it is also the year that reverted me to the complete crazy fan of my youth, including college. I, like many, travelled to Minneapolis hoping to have a good time, pretty excited the Bison were getting a chance to play the Gophers. But everything changed for me that day. Suddenly, I started to fully understand what was possible despite the loss. I realized NDSU was on the cusp of dominance once again. I watched or listened to basically every single Bison game starting at that time.

So there I was, in an unfinished room in the basement every Saturday streaming every game. My kids were too little to appreciate football, and my wife was not interested. So I was by myself, or so I thought. In retrospect, Scott Miller was with me.

My most vivid memory was listening to the 2007 Sam Houston State game completely despaired that NDSU seemed to be destined to defeat. Then, two of the most improbably plays in Bison history happened, and NDSU wins. The joy of the moment literally came through the computer speakers. And who was it that described the scene? Scott Miller

My point is Scott Miller was there for all of us who could not be at every game. His voice was flawless; his excitement real, his delivery, perfect. He was the friend who took us to the game when we could not be there.

So, all of you business folks who were on the road, so you could not get to every game;

All of you North Dakotans who could not watch the games before the TV days;

All of you transplants in other states who started following the Bison more closely due to streaming and the D1 move;

All of you younger fans who have watched the numerous You Tube clips NDSU has put out with Scott’s voice;

All of you famers who were busy bringing the harvest listening to the Bison;

When you get home tonight, raise a toast to the memory of Scott Miller. Ask your spouse, kids and other family to say prayers for the family of Scott Miller for comfort and support. Say a prayer for all those associated with NDSU who are hurting due to his passing. And finally, say a prayer of Thanksgiving to the Lord for giving us Scott Miller.

Scott, I hope you know how you touched all of our lives for the better.

Answer Guy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tcbison View Post
    I am always amazed at how fast a disease like cancer takes a life.
    Melanoma is a nasty way to go. RIP, Mr. Miller.
    Teh Interwebs – a place you can say stuff.

Default RIP Scotty Miller

http://www.inforum.com/news/3955847-...-bison-dies-57

Saw this posted at SDSUfans.com, and shook this Rabbit up. His passion and call of the NDSU games will be sorely missed. My heart goes out to his Family, and the Bison fans.

Respectfully,
    RabidRabbit

God needed a new Play by Play man. He got the best. Rest in Peace Scotty. We'll miss you.

Default Re: Scott Miller

Something that sticks out in my mind was back in the Rod Malone days and he was having a huge day and Scottie said something like wheels on the milk truck go round and round. I remember one of my friends calling me and first thing he said to me was wheels on the milk truck go round and round. Always seemed to have the right words for the right time like from a ferry tale finish to a magical season or to how sweet the 4-peat, to setting the so called tone on the opening of the radio broadcast in how big of a game it was the bison were in that would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It just wont be the same.

Got a chance to watch both NDSU athletics and WDAY videos paying tribute to Scotty and both were fantastically done. Hope that his signature My Oh My sticks with Bison football and basketball going forward. Scotty loved his craft and worked very had at it, one of the greats and Bison Nation was lucky to have him!