Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Verbal: Darren Kelley

Default Re: 2016 Verbal: Darren Kelley

Something that made me raise my eyebrow was in the BisonReport (free) story that quoted him on why he made his decision: http://www.scout.com/college/north-d...ommits-to-ndsu

"I know that the Bison have a solid free safety and they're graduating their strong safety, so that's where I think I can come in right away and make an impact," Kelley explained.
    Not really sure who he's talking about cuz Grimsley is a long ways from graduating (I hope). Maybe this adds more steam to the rumor that Dempsey is moving back to CB and Grimsley is sliding over to FS (at least if Kelley shows he's up to the task of playing right away at SS).

Meant were graduating corner?

Default Re: 2016 Verbal: Darren Kelly

Really exciting recruit. Just great...

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

http://www.scout.com/college/north-d...ommits-to-ndsu

Love this quote as well...
    "Another huge reason I decided on NDSU is because I really like the idea of playing for a national championship every year more than playing in a bowl game. I know at Toledo I wasn't likely going to be playing for championships and at NDSU I will be. I'm a competitive person and I want to have a realistic chance to achieve a championship every season."
    ...and this one too...
    "I also chose North Dakota State because they're so close to campus that I can come by this spring and sit in on the meetings and watch the practices and learn things before I get there this summer. That learning process is something I wouldn't have had at Northern Iowa or Toledo, so I plan to really learn what I can this spring from Coach Klanderman and the defensive coaches."
    Shows Resolve (Coach Bohl and Klieman both love this ) and Dedication...

Ok I could post his entire interview...one of the best I have ever read!

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Bison might have their best ever secondary in two years. This fall should be one he'll of a unit as well. Before Kelley we were 1 safety or 1 CB away from having a lock down unit. Defense this fall should be just wicked sick.

Default Re: 2016 Verbal: Darren Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    Congratulations on becoming a BISON!!!

Does this give position flexibility of moving Tre to CB and Kelly possible FS?
    I was thinking the same thing. This could end up erasing a slight weakness at CB.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
    Bison might have their best ever secondary in two years. This fall should be one he'll of a unit as well. Before Kelley we were 1 safety or 1 CB away from having a lock down unit. Defense this fall should be just wicked sick.
    I think getting Kelly gives us some much needed flexibility in the secondary going into next year. Spring and fall camp should see some great competition at the corner and even the safety spots. And we are so damn young in the secondary! Dempsey will be the only junior or senior that has contributed.

CB: Allison is likely the leader in the clubhouse for one spot. The other is up for grabs between Dakota Reid, Dom Davis, Ty Brooks...Felix Dixon could play as a true freshmen if he shows he's ready. Eric Bachmeier was listed at CB until Smith left the team last year. And if none of them step up, they could shift Dempsey back to corner.
    S: If the young CB's step up and are ready, Dempsey and Grimsley got a lot of snaps together this year and played well, especially in the playoffs. If Dempsey moves to corner, Kelley can come in at one safety spot: he's got the size for SS but that would mean moving Grimsley to FS. Gotta remember that Wimbush, Cenescar, Sikes, and Brown will also be pushing for playing time.

I think a lot of spring practice will be spent figuring out the best combination, in the secondary and on the O-line. Dempsey was great at FS, but his versatility is huge in getting the best players on the field. Hope Kelley can hit the ground running in the fall and contribute.

Been following Kelley for awhile. Good player with a big frame. Wahpeton had a few good ones this year. Does Kelley really have 3 years left? Thought he had two.

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Just an embarrassment of riches at DL, LB and DB. I totally agree that this defense is going to be REALLY special in the coming years.

Attachment 6808

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    I think getting Kelly gives us some much needed flexibility in the secondary going into next year. Spring and fall camp should see some great competition at the corner and even the safety spots. And we are so damn young in the secondary! Dempsey will be the only junior or senior that has contributed.

CB: Allison is likely the leader in the clubhouse for one spot. The other is up for grabs between Dakota Reid, Dom Davis, Ty Brooks...Felix Dixon could play as a true freshmen if he shows he's ready. Eric Bachmeier was listed at CB until Smith left the team last year. And if none of them step up, they could shift Dempsey back to corner.
    S: If the young CB's step up and are ready, Dempsey and Grimsley got a lot of snaps together this year and played well, especially in the playoffs. If Dempsey moves to corner, Kelley can come in at one safety spot: he's got the size for SS but that would mean moving Grimsley to FS. Gotta remember that Wimbush, Cenescar, Sikes, and Brown will also be pushing for playing time.

I think a lot of spring practice will be spent figuring out the best combination, in the secondary and on the O-line. Dempsey was great at FS, but his versatility is huge in getting the best players on the field. Hope Kelley can hit the ground running in the fall and contribute.
    From my perspective, Tre Dempsey will be great wherever he plays. Huge talent and he seems to have increased his speed. Bison could probably field a winning team with their second string alone next year. Hell, they might even win the conference title. Tremendous pressure on the decision makers next fall to get it right.