Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting: Class of 2017 and Beyond

Default Re: Recruiting: Class of 2017 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    I'm from Lake Park and have gone to quite a few games this year. A couple things about Jesse:

1. Home-schooled kid, so never played any school-based basketball until he literally just showed up at the start of his 10th grade season.

2. Was growing like the proverbial weed last year in 10th grade and had knee & endurance issues due to that phenomenal growth spurt. MUCH different this year: plays more smoothly without the pain and able to play many more minutes per night, so his endurance is great to see. Last home game I saw he played all but the last few minutes, so about a 33 minute night for him.

3. With 1 1/2 years of coaching, his skills have improved greatly. Getting a nice touch on his jump shot & using the backboard. Averaging 20+ points per game, but the most dunks I have seen in a game from him are 2, so he does not rely on that for scoring. Can make some sharp passes from the high post when double-teamed: the give-and-go and passing to someone making the backside cut to the basket.

No way do I claim to be a judge of talent, I'll leave that to the professionals. But, I suspect that Jesse will be playing somewhere after high school. A redshirt freshman year would do him good to bulk up, get stronger, and improve his fundamentals. Remember, this kid has been coached for only 1 1/2 years.

Until then, enjoy the ride! Raiders are on a 16 game winning streak as of February 9th!
    Great info on him. Just getting his feet wet into basketball. Wish him all the best and hope he continues to improve and if possible a spot at NDSU if it is right for both him and the school.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Can anyone imagine a lineup with Bergh and Meidinger? Surround those guys with some long range shooters and a slasher and you have the makings of a very dangerous team! You can't teach height, but you can teach basketball. Bring them home Coach!
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    I'm from Lake Park and have gone to quite a few games this year. A couple things about Jesse:

1. Home-schooled kid, so never played any school-based basketball until he literally just showed up at the start of his 10th grade season.

2. Was growing like the proverbial weed last year in 10th grade and had knee & endurance issues due to that phenomenal growth spurt. MUCH different this year: plays more smoothly without the pain and able to play many more minutes per night, so his endurance is great to see. Last home game I saw he played all but the last few minutes, so about a 33 minute night for him.

3. With 1 1/2 years of coaching, his skills have improved greatly. Getting a nice touch on his jump shot & using the backboard. Averaging 20+ points per game, but the most dunks I have seen in a game from him are 2, so he does not rely on that for scoring. Can make some sharp passes from the high post when double-teamed: the give-and-go and passing to someone making the backside cut to the basket.

No way do I claim to be a judge of talent, I'll leave that to the professionals. But, I suspect that Jesse will be playing somewhere after high school. A redshirt freshman year would do him good to bulk up, get stronger, and improve his fundamentals. Remember, this kid has been coached for only 1 1/2 years.

Until then, enjoy the ride! Raiders are on a 16 game winning streak as of February 9th!
    I'm happy for him to have found basketball and experiencing some success. I hope he drives him to want to get better and put in the time.

BUT---does he have BB IQ and understands the game? I understand only been coached last year and a half, but does he have a mastery of the fundamentals? Can he score with both hands around the hoop? Is he a smart defender given his height?

There is so much more to just being BIG and had some success at HS level to project or predict will translate to college basketball
    1. PUT IN the CORRECT Work to get better
    2. Want to get better
    3. Good enough to play D1 basketball

Again, I hope kid loves basketball and has fun playing it----BUT lets settle down on projecting/predicting he will play college basketball because he is big

Mind you---I've NEVER seen him play;

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    I'm happy for him to have found basketball and experiencing some success. I hope he drives him to want to get better and put in the time.

BUT---does he have BB IQ and understands the game? I understand only been coached last year and a half, but does he have a mastery of the fundamentals? Can he score with both hands around the hoop? Is he a smart defender given his height?

There is so much more to just being BIG and had some success at HS level to project or predict will translate to college basketball
    1. PUT IN the CORRECT Work to get better
    2. Want to get better
    3. Good enough to play D1 basketball

Again, I hope kid loves basketball and has fun playing it----BUT lets settle down on projecting/predicting he will play college basketball because he is big

Mind you---I've NEVER seen him play;
    I've watched him play a couple times and from what I understand his improvement from last year to this year is due to the hard work he put in over the last year (much better player now). He is 6'10" or whatever but has very good touch around the basket and has some pretty good low post moves. When he gets the ball in the low post he's deadly. Granted it's against shorter opponents but still impressive. He's a decent free throw shooter for a big man too. It'll be interesting to see how his improvement is into next year. I would agree that he will be playing basketball somewhere after high school. I think if you would have watched him play you'd agree.

To my knowledge, passed along with an individual with more knowledge of the kid, he was playing ball at the DL rec center. The DL coach wanted him to come play for him however his parents said no. Sounds like hes played quite a bit of pickup ball which would lead me to imagine he has some sort of basketball IQ.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    Can anyone imagine a lineup with Bergh and Meidinger? Surround those guys with some long range shooters and a slasher and you have the makings of a very dangerous team! You can't teach height, but you can teach basketball. Bring them home Coach!
    I watched Meidinger play last week vs. Century. 0 points and only a couple boards for a 6'11" kid in North Dakota. Not sure if it was an off night or not but the kid still has a ways to go.

Feb 20th

Ryan James – ‏@RyanJamesMN

Weston Baker-McGrath of Marshall/MN Fury will be a guest for NDSU today. Weston is a 2017 PF @YaBoii_Wes
    Weston Baker-McGrath (Marshall MN) (6' 7" 210 PF)
    Baker-McGrath is teammates in basketball with Drew Hmielewski, who was
    a 2016 NDSU offer in football (6' 3" WR) (Minnesota Gopher signee).

6'5" Myles Hanson (Chaska) was a guest at Minnesota (2017 NDSU interest)
    Last edited by bruinbison; 02-22-2016 at 02:04 AM.

Nathan Reuvers (2017) article, including recent visit to Creighton and
    Coach McDermott
    http://www.gopherhole.com/news_artic...rrer_id=388419

The 6' 10" Reuvers' offer list includes Creighton, Green Bay, Santa Clara, SDSU & DePaul

WDAY video on Lake Park Audubon and Jesse Bergh.

http://www.wday.com/sports/high-scho...-park-audubon#

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Interesting game tonight (the 29th), 7:00 at Concordia. LPA and its 22-4 record against undefeated Hillcrest. Someone will go home very disappointed, but that is the nature of tournaments!