Page 21 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting: Class of 2017 and Beyond

Default Re: Recruiting: Class of 2017 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Irwin is on scholarship I do believe and he makes 13. That's why I'm curious why he doesn't dress. I didn't think there was a transfer rule to move up in divisions but now that I think about it I think Malik sat out a year as well didn't he.
    Malik did not sit out when he transferred to NDSU. I don't think Irwin is a scholarship kid either.

DIBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post
    Fairly certain due to transfer rule he will be sitting out all year.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
    Must be correct, Irwin was on the bench again tonight but still as a spectator.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

So what I'm gathering is that none of us actually have a for sure answer as to why he's sitting out and whether or not he for sure is on scholarship. So again, anybody have the for sure facts here?

If he's not on scholarship then we would have 1 remaining that could go to Samuelson.

Irwin is on scholarship I do believe and he makes 13. That's why I'm curious why he doesn't dress. I didn't think there was a transfer rule to move up in divisions but now that I think about it I think Malik sat out a year as well didn't he.
    Almost positive you have to sit a year when you jump D2 to D1 (for example, former D2 St. Cloud State Husky Jordan Poydras, who transferred to Utah Valley State, used his previously-unused redshirt year to sit out last year, and is able to play for his senior season this year), but you play right away when you drop from D1 to D2 (for example, former Jackrabbit Logan Doyle playing right away this year at Northern State).

Another thing that can happen is what happened with former D2 Concordia-St. Paul stud Nuni Omot, who redshirted and then played his redshirt freshman year at CSP, and, after drawing D1 interest, transferred to Indian Hills Community College for his sophomore year. His year at Indian Hills essentially works as his "sit-out" year, so he spent a year playing/developing rather than simply losing a year sitting on the bench at a D1. Then he was able to go straight from Indian Hills to Baylor University, where he is now and I believe he'll be eligible to play this season and next season.

As a fan of a D2 team that has featured a few potentially D1-caliber players over the past couple of years, I'm not a big fan of the Nuni Omot route and hope my Vikings don't suffer that type of defection, but it's definitely a reality in this day and age, unfortunately. At the same time, Omot is a 6'9" superfreak of an athlete (as far as D2 players go), so it was hopefully more of a rarity than a coming trend across all of D2 basketball, but it is what it is.

That's my understanding of the rules at this point, but if anyone is better informed than I am, please correct me. I'm just going with what I've seen firsthand as a D2/NSIC follower.
    Last edited by MrAugustana; 01-06-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: additional thought

He is definitely sitting out due to the transfer and its for the whole season. I have no idea on his scholarship situation.

He is definitely sitting out due to the transfer and its for the whole season. I have no idea on his scholarship situation.
    Well hey I'll take 1 out of 2 answers for sure! For some reason I only thought you had to sit out if you went down a division or transferred laterally like D1 to D1 but I apparently am misinformed.

As far as the scholarship goes I can't find anything on the google machine, appears he was offered a walk-on from us out of high school but took a scholarship to Minot St instead, I would think one wouldn't go from scholarship to walk-on but Fargo is much closer to his family in Whap and if the desire is just to be part of a D1 basketball program there's that.

Well hey I'll take 1 out of 2 answers for sure! For some reason I only thought you had to sit out if you went down a division or transferred laterally like D1 to D1 but I apparently am misinformed.

As far as the scholarship goes I can't find anything on the google machine, appears he was offered a walk-on from us out of high school but took a scholarship to Minot St instead, I would think one wouldn't go from scholarship to walk-on but Fargo is much closer to his family in Whap and if the desire is just to be part of a D1 basketball program there's that.
    For whats its worth, verbal commits has him as a walk-on non scholarship player. But again not sure on the accuracy of that.

For whats its worth, verbal commits has him as a walk-on non scholarship player. But again not sure on the accuracy of that.
    Haha oh wow, I just read that wrong, that's the page on was on when I looked below and saw Minot and NDSU I just assumed it was from the recruitment year out of high school. Well by my math then that puts us at 12 scholarships used up for next year. I did in all my searching find that Samuelson was a preferred walk-on which of course interprets to if you earn a scholarship while here you get one, I'd definitely say he's earned it so thinking that 13th scholarship will likely be his.

You do not have to sit out if you move down a division. Only lateral or up. Just like football.

Thank god football and basketball aren't like volleyball. That sport is a mess right now in the way the transfer system works.

Fargo North's Siman Sem sets a school record with 45 points
    in a win against Shanley. Also 21 rebounds, 6 assists, 6 steals, 3 blocks

Only 14 scoring performances in the history of North Dakota Class A boys basketball rank ahead of Sem's 45-point showing on Monday. He did it with North Dakota State assistant coach Jayden Olson in the crowd.
    http://www.inforum.com/sports/419633...rgo-norths-sem