Page 27 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting: Class of 2017 and Beyond

Default Re: Recruiting: Class of 2017 and Beyond

We do have great size and length this year along the perimeter. It makes it curious why our perimeter defense is so terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    We do have great size and length this year along the perimeter. It makes it curious why our perimeter defense is so terrible.
    Forcing to help too much? I'm not exactly sure, just a guess. We were staying in front and getting hands in faces of WIU for the most part, but they still were nailing shots for much of the game. Sometimes just luck. Our 2 point % defense is top 50 right now. Maybe we are packing the paint more.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Forcing to help too much? I'm not exactly sure, just a guess. We were staying in front and getting hands in faces of WIU for the most part, but they still were nailing shots for much of the game. Sometimes just luck. Our 2 point % defense is top 50 right now. Maybe we are packing the paint more.
    We've always been a "pack-line" defense, we play on the arc and in and take away driving lanes by switching everything and the goal is to force jump shots. The problem is the teams in the Summit League this season are shooting very well from beyond the arc. I think there's definitely some teams we need to extend the defense on but without a big rim protector underneath we don't want to be giving up easy lanes to the basket either. As long as there is a hand in the face of the shooter, which I feel like there is most of the time that's what are defense is designed to do. Problem is guys like Covington, Mooney, Evans etc get hot and start making contested shots and it's tough to stop. That's also how a team like IPFW varies' from 108 points in a win versus Omaha and just a couple weeks prior scored 67 in a loss to SDSU. These teams that live & die by the 3 can beat anybody on any single night but can get run out of the gym in a hurry if the shots aren't falling. I'm just crossing my fingers that we don't run into one of them shooting hot in the tournament and we can go dancing.

NDSU does have 1 scholarship available if they choose to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post
    NDSU does have 1 scholarship available if they choose to use it.
    We have done very well with spring signees in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    We've always been a "pack-line" defense, we play on the arc and in and take away driving lanes by switching everything and the goal is to force jump shots. The problem is the teams in the Summit League this season are shooting very well from beyond the arc. I think there's definitely some teams we need to extend the defense on but without a big rim protector underneath we don't want to be giving up easy lanes to the basket either. As long as there is a hand in the face of the shooter, which I feel like there is most of the time that's what are defense is designed to do. Problem is guys like Covington, Mooney, Evans etc get hot and start making contested shots and it's tough to stop. That's also how a team like IPFW varies' from 108 points in a win versus Omaha and just a couple weeks prior scored 67 in a loss to SDSU. These teams that live & die by the 3 can beat anybody on any single night but can get run out of the gym in a hurry if the shots aren't falling. I'm just crossing my fingers that we don't run into one of them shooting hot in the tournament and we can go dancing.
    Really good post. Our defense works in taking drives away, but we just aren't able to contend shots well enough to force them harder shots. We're 258th in the nation in our opponent 3% which is really bad (290th in opponent points from 3). This isn't even bringing up all the points scored just inside the 3 and I can't imagine teams not having a high % in those as well.

have Noah Gindorff play center next year. 6 7 240 18 pts 26 rebs 6 blocks last night!

cmon Dave! he can play Jan-March
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Really good post. Our defense works in taking drives away, but we just aren't able to contend shots well enough to force them harder shots. We're 258th in the nation in our opponent 3% which is really bad (290th in opponent points from 3). This isn't even bringing up all the points scored just inside the 3 and I can't imagine teams not having a high % in those as well.
    This has been my biggest complaint for years. We basically let teams shoot 3's all day and hope they miss. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't. BB today is almost all about shooting 3's so IMO they should defend that first and not last.

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This has been my biggest complaint for years. We basically let teams shoot 3's all day and hope they miss. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't. BB today is almost all about shooting 3's so IMO they should defend that first and not last.

Meidinger 11/11 22 pts, 10 boards. 2 Seed Dickinson upset by 7 seed Bismarck St. Mary's 99-95. Moody had 42 points.