Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Holly Johnson situation

Default Re: Holly Johnson situation

I don;t know why this thread should be be locked, if it werent for this fiasco, no one would give a sh!t about womens basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonionette View Post
    I don;t know why this thread should be be locked, if it werent for this fiasco, no one would give a sh!t about womens basketball.
    The fiasco is over.

What has become of all this? We have learned using 15 scholarships is not wrong. We have learned a coach having a number on the roster is their prerogative. Now it has become a bitchfest about the personnel decisions made by the program. Where is the value in that? It just becomes a circular argument where rationality is not winning for the sake of a program getting attention. The facts used are the ones presented by the focal point and they aren't convincing enough there is a problem. It has become a dead issue.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    The fiasco is over.

What has become of all this? We have learned using 15 scholarships is not wrong. We have learned a coach having a number on the roster is their prerogative. Now it has become a bitchfest about the personnel decisions made by the program. Where is the value in that? It just becomes a circular argument where rationality is not winning for the sake of a program getting attention. The facts used are the ones presented by the focal point and they aren't convincing enough there is a problem. It has become a dead issue.
    You may not be convinced there's a problem but if the players think there is a problem or potential recruits think there might be a problem, then it's not a dead issue.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 02-05-2016 at 09:02 PM.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    I'm telling you my friends from Minot said her parents would have paid no problem but that option was never presented to her. Trust me when I tell you this is bad pub for NDSU and in particular WBB Good luck Maren trying to get another kid from that area. HJ is well respected...
    It may be some bad publicity for NDSU, however its also bad publicity for Holly Johnson. For you to say that Holly Johnson would try to stop future players from continuing their education and possibly playing at NDSU then perhaps Holly Johnson is not the respected person she was. She is however allowed to her opinion. Not everyone will agree.

Recruits need to WANT to be part of the NDSU program regardless of the opinion of someone else.
    I have faith in Maren Walseth and NDSU will continue to get quality athletes from North Dakota and other areas.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I personally don't like the precedent that is being set here. Yes I know she got her degree and yes it is the coach's team. But I don't like that we are basically running off a player for whatever reason (doesn't matter the reason). We are not Michigan or Alabama or whoever, we are NDSU and I don't want the doors to open for the coaches to do what I hear these other big schools do. This potentially is a very slippery slope that NDSU can't get back and has to just deal with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    It may be some bad publicity for NDSU, however its also bad publicity for Holly Johnson. For you to say that Holly Johnson would try to stop future players from continuing their education and possibly playing at NDSU then perhaps Holly Johnson is not the respected person she was. She is however allowed to her opinion. Not everyone will agree.

Recruits need to WANT to be part of the NDSU program regardless of the opinion of someone else.
    I have faith in Maren Walseth and NDSU will continue to get quality athletes from North Dakota and other areas.
    There's is a lot of truth here. I have had a few conversations with folks and there are two constant views.

1. It's unfortunate, but what was the coach supposed to do.
    2. HJ should have not responded like she did.

It further demonstrates how unqualified the coach is, and how she got into something which is WAY over her head. Poor planner, poor manager of people, and frankly a bad coach. A coach who plays someone every minute through a double overtime loss and two days later plays her 38 more minutes in a blow out.. makes no sense. Maybe she feels if she has leagues tops scorers it somehow reflects on her genius,. Playing kids through that load carries consequences. How many ACL injuries are to come? No one knows, but if MW wants TT for two more years I hope she backs off a bit.

http://www.nj.com/healthfit/fitness/...3/post_43.html

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    I personally don't like the precedent that is being set here. Yes I know she got her degree and yes it is the coach's team. But I don't like that we are basically running off a player for whatever reason (doesn't matter the reason). We are not Michigan or Alabama or whoever, we are NDSU and I don't want the doors to open for the coaches to do what I hear these other big schools do. This potentially is a very slippery slope that NDSU can't get back and has to just deal with it now.

You do realize that if HJ was allowed to stay on the team then someone else had to leave. Its an unfortunate incident hj was expected to play this year, but got injured she was not expected to play next year. Plans have been made and promises have been made to other players.

Thus, if you were to keep HJ on the team for next year you would have been running off a different player and/or limiting the playing/development time of other players.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    What it says... If you redshirt, and coach doesnt like you .... you will be a prime candidate not to complete your eligibility at the school you worked and played so hard for.

Players need to know this is what the coach can and will do... So to the seven freshman coming in... be careful if she wants to redshirt you... because you most likely will not finish out your NCAA eligibility here

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonionette View Post
    What it says... If you redshirt, and coach doesnt like you .... you will be a prime candidate not to complete your eligibility at the school you worked and played so hard for.

Players need to know this is what the coach can and will do... So to the seven freshman coming in... be careful if she wants to redshirt you... because you most likely will not finish out your NCAA eligibility here

But You will get to play for 4 years and a quality degree paid for.