Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Holly Johnson situation

BlueKeyAlum is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Holly Johnson situation

Breaking news from today's Forum

http://www.inforum.com/sports/393442...g-fully-healed

This may be the information to which Bisionette was referring.

“Knowing of my second opinion appointment, coach Walseth told me that she fully expected me to play in a Bison uniform this season,” Johnson said, “and if that was something I didn’t want or was uncomfortable with that she would help me find another place to play next season.”

Johnson said she was never told by the Bison coaching staff or in a meeting with NDSU deputy director of athletics Todd Phelps that a scholarship wasn’t available next year. She said she would have considered playing as a walk-on. On the other hand, Johnson said Walseth did tell her there would not be a spot for her on the roster.
    "I’m not familiar precisely with what I said, but I’ll stand by what I said, whatever it was.” --- Mitt Romney

"That which doesn't kill you, hurts." -- me

BYZEN is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Holly Johnson situation

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKeyAlum View Post
    Breaking news from today's Forum

http://www.inforum.com/sports/393442...g-fully-healed

This may be the information to which Bisionette was referring.

“Knowing of my second opinion appointment, coach Walseth told me that she fully expected me to play in a Bison uniform this season,” Johnson said, “and if that was something I didn’t want or was uncomfortable with that she would help me find another place to play next season.”

Johnson said she was never told by the Bison coaching staff or in a meeting with NDSU deputy director of athletics Todd Phelps that a scholarship wasn’t available next year. She said she would have considered playing as a walk-on. On the other hand, Johnson said Walseth did tell her there would not be a spot for her on the roster.

F'N Hawk or Wabbit???
    “I want to thank everybody who has supported me at NDSU,” she said, “.... ultimately I want to finish my career at the Division I level, and I am interested in staying in the area.”
    SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier on NDSU intro video: "This is not meant to be North Dakota State's home game."

The doctors make the decision and not the coach. Playing through pain is not the same as playing injured. Sports takes a toll on your body. Sounds like sour grapes to me and its lame and self serving to go to the media. Disrespected or punished for not being recruited by her or graduating early? I mean, the reality is team hadn't played very well so not being recruited to fit a system may be an honest evaluation by a coach that wants what is best for the team. They are not always easy decisions and tough to hear. Good luck to Holly though. Way to get your degree fast. And in your working career, don't air dirty laundry. Your employers don't like that stuff and it comes across as whiny.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

You all know my opinions about this.

I hope she can turn this situation into something positive for her. It's fairly common to do one's graduate work at a different institution. She should find an excellent Masters program in her field of interest, find somewhere willing to give her a scholarship, play another year of basketball, and hopefully somehow enjoy this unexpected change in plans.
    This Post is copyrighted by Bisonville for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this Post, or of any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the Post without Bisonville's express written consent, is prohibited.

The whole situation sucks for all parties, best of luck to Holly.

Somewhere in the article it also stated she would be able to walk on next year. Holly J then said they would not guarantee her a spot.
    Not sure if I have ever heard of a walk on being guaranteed a spot.

I hope she heals from the surgery and is able to continue. Good Luck.

Well she'll be playing one game next year in the new bsa. I'll be routing for her. Coaches who miscalculate and then lie to cover their mistakes, and then throw the player under the bus just make things worse. Next year we have a team composed of 7 freshman, three players who lack D1 skils, and four with marginal talent, and one fantastic shooter. You can't tell me Holly didn't fit the mold. that's just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    The doctors make the decision and not the coach. Playing through pain is not the same as playing injured. Sports takes a toll on your body. Sounds like sour grapes to me and its lame and self serving to go to the media. Disrespected or punished for not being recruited by her or graduating early? I mean, the reality is team hadn't played very well so not being recruited to fit a system may be an honest evaluation by a coach that wants what is best for the team. They are not always easy decisions and tough to hear. Good luck to Holly though. Way to get your degree fast. And in your working career, don't air dirty laundry. Your employers don't like that stuff and it comes across as whiny.
    Completely agree! Good luck to Holly in wherever she goes next year, but I side with the coach 100%. If I was CW I would probably want to be rid of all the remnants from the CD period. Nothing against Holly, but I would want to distance myself with anything that resembled the previous regime. All the scholarships are spoken for, good luck to HJ. And please, don't be a whiner and run to the media, learn from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonionette View Post
    Well she'll be playing one game next year in the new bsa. I'll be routing for her. Coaches who miscalculate and then lie to cover their mistakes, and then throw the player under the bus just make things worse. Next year we have a team composed of 7 freshman, three players who lack D1 skils, and four with marginal talent, and one fantastic shooter. You can't tell me Holly didn't fit the mold. that's just stupid.
    In all fairness, the coaching staff knows more about their basketball team than we do as fans and I choose to trust the coaches.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com