Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Amy Anderson 2016 LPGA

Default Re: Amy Anderson 2016 LPGA

It's crazy that I can call in a penalty from my living room. Even allowing for that they let damn near a whole day go by without even telling her they were reviewing it and that she could be subject to a 4 stroke penalty. She had played 13 of her 19 remaining holes between when the infraction occurred and when the penalty was assessed. 2/3ish of a tournament round for the entire field and over 20 hours without so much as a word that they were even considering a 4 stroke penalty for the leader in a major. All kinds of stupid.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Lexi Thompson got screwed this weekend. She'd played 12 holes of her final round before being informed that she was being penalized for hitting a 1 ft put from out of position during her round the day before. Some home viewer, who was probably short her in Vegas, made a phone call. So dumb. Golf is fixing a bunch of rules in the next year, project is already underway. They need to add this to the list. Two things. It's silly that anyone on their couch can act as a rules official. How can you go 20 hours telling her nothing? How do you not decide before the next round starts?
    Actually this is quite common, I recall years ago that one of the mens players, used a towel to kneel on while making a shot. A tv viewer contacted the tourney and he was penalized for it. I am thinking it was the day after in that case also.

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    Actually this is quite common, I recall years ago that one of the mens players, used a towel to kneel on while making a shot. A tv viewer contacted the tourney and he was penalized for it. I am thinking it was the day after in that case also.
    I'm aware. Just because it's common for arm chair rules officials to call in penalties doesn't make it any less dumb.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    Craig Stadler in the late 80's. He got DQ'd for signing an incorrect scorecard.

On Sunday, I thought Fowler caught some sand in his backswing on 18. Replayed it several times to be sure. I wonder if anybody called or emailed a comment.

Golf rules are definitely black and white. I'm not a rules Nazi when I play. I'll let you bend them if you want. Unless you want to wager. Then it's on like Donkey Kong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm aware. Just because it's common for arm chair rules officials to call in penalties doesn't make it any less dumb.
    LOL.....post of the thread right here and exactly how I feel. You just can't have folks at home being refs; there are so many cans of worms that opens up.

mango is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    Simply, the Rules of Golf allow it. I would imagine it was written in a time prior to 24 hour golf networks and HD TV and was not considered. But regardless, trying to compare it to another sport is ridiculous. If you knowingly commit a penalty in football, do you call it yourself? No, you wait until a referee calls it. In golf, rules are sacred.

Please note - I am offering no opinion as to whether I think the rule is correct. The only opinion I am offering is saying that it is stupid to compare golf to other sports.
    But coverage for players isn't the same. They don't show the guy that's in dead last, they only show the stars and the leaders. The guy that's in dead last could be doing stuff like this all the time and people that watch on TV would have no idea because it's not shown.

That's why allowing someone to call in with a potential rule violation needs to go away. It heavily scrutinizes the stars and leaders while Joe Schmoo doesn't have any coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    But coverage for players isn't the same. They don't show the guy that's in dead last, they only show the stars and the leaders. The guy that's in dead last could be doing stuff like this all the time and people that watch on TV would have no idea because it's not shown.

That's why allowing someone to call in with a potential rule violation needs to go away. It heavily scrutinizes the stars and leaders while Joe Schmoo doesn't have any coverage.
    Not to mention potential biases of only saying something if you hate a certain player......

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post

It would be fun to call in a rules violation for a guy that just had back to back bogeys by missing short putts and is now 17 strokes back, just so we could watch the meltdown on live TV.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Amy playing in Hawaii this week. Coverage Thursday to Sunday 6-10pm central on golf channel.

This event was was her best career finish t7th in 2014.

Amy playing in Hawaii this week. Coverage Thursday to Sunday 6-10pm central on golf channel.

This event was was her best career finish t7th in 2014.
    Correction. Wednesday to Saturday. My bad.