Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Amy Anderson 2016 LPGA

Default Re: Amy Anderson 2016 LPGA

Lexi Thompson got screwed this weekend. She'd played 12 holes of her final round before being informed that she was being penalized for hitting a 1 ft put from out of position during her round the day before. Some home viewer, who was probably short her in Vegas, made a phone call. So dumb. Golf is fixing a bunch of rules in the next year, project is already underway. They need to add this to the list. Two things. It's silly that anyone on their couch can act as a rules official. How can you go 20 hours telling her nothing? How do you not decide before the next round starts?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Lexi Thompson got screwed this weekend. She'd played 12 holes of her final round before being informed that she was being penalized for hitting a 1 ft put from out of position during her round the day before. Some home viewer, who was probably short her in Vegas, made a phone call. So dumb. Golf is fixing a bunch of rules in the next year, project is already underway. They need to add this to the list. Two things. It's silly that anyone on their couch can act as a rules official. How can you go 20 hours telling her nothing? How do you not decide before the next round starts?
    I saw Mike and Mike discuss this in the AM. As an golf idiot, can someone please explain to me why rules nazi's at home can dictate a tourney? It should be like any other sport when a call is miss. And for cripes sake, that was not intentional and I think even a rules official would be hard pressed to enforce that.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I saw Mike and Mike discuss this in the AM. As an golf idiot, can someone please explain to me why rules nazi's at home can dictate a tourney? It should be like any other sport when a call is miss. And for cripes sake, that was not intentional and I think even a rules official would be hard pressed to enforce that.
    This was terrible. I do not think she was doing it on purpose. It was just one of those things. The person that emailed in probably had Cheeto dust on one hand and something else in the other hand.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    This was terrible. I do not think she was doing it on purpose. It was just one of those things. The person that emailed in probably had Cheeto dust on one hand and something else in the other hand.
    So, to be clear, does anyone know why a cheeto eating rule Nazi has any input on who wins a professional tournament? Please explain.

So, to be clear, does anyone know why a cheeto eating rule Nazi has any input on who wins a professional tournament? Please explain.
    In his mom's dark basement you get a really good picture on the plasma screen. I would have ignored the email and talked with Lexi on the side after the tourney. I don't believe she was trying to get away with anything, but only she knows that.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Simply, the Rules of Golf allow it. I would imagine it was written in a time prior to 24 hour golf networks and HD TV and was not considered. But regardless, trying to compare it to another sport is ridiculous. If you knowingly commit a penalty in football, do you call it yourself? No, you wait until a referee calls it. In golf, rules are sacred.

Please note - I am offering no opinion as to whether I think the rule is correct. The only opinion I am offering is saying that it is stupid to compare golf to other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    Simply, the Rules of Golf allow it. I would imagine it was written in a time prior to 24 hour golf networks and HD TV and was not considered. But regardless, trying to compare it to another sport is ridiculous. If you knowingly commit a penalty in football, do you call it yourself? No, you wait until a referee calls it. In golf, rules are sacred.

Please note - I am offering no opinion as to whether I think the rule is correct. The only opinion I am offering is saying that it is stupid to compare golf to other sports.
    I am not asking about the rule. I am asking why a cheeto eating rule Nazi has any input on if a player breaks the rules. No one has yet answered that question. and yes, it is legit to compare to other sports. So, an NBA official misses a call and the game goes wrong way. I should be able to email and get the outcome changed?

I am not asking about the rule. I am asking why a cheeto eating rule Nazi has any input on if a player breaks the rules. No one has yet answered that question. and yes, it is legit to compare to other sports. So, an NBA official misses a call and the game goes wrong way. I should be able to email and get the outcome changed?
    Can you be more specific as to what rule you don't care about? Because I was talking about the rule where it says that any spectator can report rules violations.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    Can you be more specific as to what rule you don't care about? Because I was talking about the rule where it says that any spectator can report rules violations.
    Good to know; thought the rule was only about the moving of the ball on the green. So there is a rule allowing spectators to report rules violations. You've got to be kidding me. That is nuts. And thank you for answering the question.

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The rule they changed was from disqualification to 2 strokes if a player signs a score card for a score lower on a hole than should have been recorded if the player was not aware if the infraction and it was called in by a TV viewer. This is basically the TV rule. As far as on the green, she was careless when marking and remarking and played from the wrong place, which is also 2 strokes.