Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: McFeely article about Skarphol

Default Re: McFeely article about Skarphol

Many grad students teach classes and do research. Tution wavers vs hiring is a plus for a university.
    There was an article in the Forum this week about how these grads stay and that many many foreign residents are highly educated.
    Many people dont understand what a research university is, unfortunately they are vocal. What it is not is a trade school. We need both. Alot.
    A few years ago the university sent out an e mail that listed how much the university gets in tax dollars and how much it receives in grants and endowments and such. If complaining was proportional to how much the complainers money went to the school, it would be much more quiet.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Non-ND oil laborers = Great! Non-ND students = Bad. Great vision for the future.
    Van Club - Secretary of Agriculture (Barley & hops expert)

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
    Non-ND oil laborers = Great! Non-ND students = Bad. Great vision for the future.
    Yeah, scratching my head over that philosophy.

If you want a 21st century economy, you better have a lot of STEM folks around.

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    So we typically make money off international and non-residents?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Sometimes.

I was an acquaintance of an NDSU student 15 years ago who's family in India was happy to pay almost $20,000 per year for him to get a US education.

That is what the University of Illinois and I suspect NDSU may be after. Upper class Indians who want their kids to get a degree in the US.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    Sometimes.

I was an acquaintance of an NDSU student 15 years ago who's family in India was happy to pay almost $20,000 per year for him to get a US education.

That is what the University of Illinois and I suspect NDSU may be after. Upper class Indians who want their kids to get a degree in the US.
    This may factor in, but the real value comes when that same student launches a startup, or fills a much needed STEM position for a firm in the state of North Dakota. Reaching out to students in these fields, wherever they may be from, is an investment in future industry and workforce for the state.
    Van Club - Secretary of Agriculture (Barley & hops expert)

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Nothing here unusual at all, just because it's North Dakota people have to get their pants in a bunch. I thought Skarphol was retiring, the sooner the better!

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Funny he isn't complaining about all the foreign students in the Aerospace Program at UND. They are almost all foreign as USA students cant afford $150,000.00 for an education in that department paying for fuel and flight time only to get a job for $10.00 an hour upon graduating.

Great article by Mike.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

My wife is as American as they come and she got a tuition waiver AND a stipend at NDSU.

Of course she taught more classes than an adjunct instructor making twice as much.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hansel is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

How much would it have cost to build Bob's pet project UND-Tioga?