Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post from eGriz... some big data

Default Post from eGriz... some big data

Impressive display of data crunching!

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewt...hp?f=1&t=73048

I still think Georgia Southern is the #1 FCS program all-time... but give NDSU a couple more years so there's more of a track record and the Bison would have to be considered.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Post from eGriz... some big data

That is crazy data work there. I don't know if we're #1 either because all the data gets completely skewed based on the last 5 years. Does anyone want to go let him know we have 71 wins over the last 5 years, not 70

Very cool!

OL FU on AGS used to put together a "Best of the Playoffs" ranking that gave an overall point rating to a program for their performances in the FCS/1AA playoffs going back to 1978. The most recent I was able to find it was last updated after the 2011 season. At that time NDSU was 26th overall with 130 points. With 100 more points each of the last 4 years that would put them at 530 which would be good for 8th overall (likely just a few points behind UNI). Pretty impressive considering many of the teams on that list had a nearly 30 year head start. Another impressive note is NDSU would have to win the next 5 titles after this year (so an 10-peat) and make a deep run that 11th year to catch Georgia Southern in that points system.

Cool stuff.

I'd started on a "dynasty points" analysis which awards 100 to the champ, 50 to the finalist, 25 to semi finalists, 12.5 to quarter finalists, 6.25 to round 2 participants, 3.125 to round 1 participants, and a fraction of a point for being in the division. I've only got it done for the FCS era 2006-2015 but here's what the last 10 years look like:

NDSU 516
    App St 263
    EWU 184
    Mont 177
    Rich 173
    SHSU 160
    Vill 157
    UNH 122
    Del 106
    Ill St 92
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Cool stuff.

I'd started on a "dynasty points" analysis which awards 100 to the champ, 50 to the finalist, 25 to semi finalists, 12.5 to quarter finalists, 6.25 to round 2 participants, 3.125 to round 1 participants, and a fraction of a point for being in the division. I've only got it done for the FCS era 2006-2015 but here's what the last 10 years look like:

NDSU 516
    App St 263
    EWU 184
    Mont 177
    Rich 173
    SHSU 160
    Vill 157
    UNH 122
    Del 106
    Ill St 92
    WOW! and NDSU was only eligible for 08' and on. Late Sixties, eighties, and now the 2k-teens!

When you look at the gap between NDSU and Appy....and then Eastern....wow just wow! Shows just how good NDSU has been the last 8 years.

Except 09'...We don't talk about 09'....

that dude did his work, awesome

now what isn't awesome in the next 5 pages of that thread...wow what train wreck. I was going to give props to the OP but didn't want in that shitstorm
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    that dude did his work, awesome

now what isn't awesome in the next 5 pages of that thread...wow what train wreck. I was going to give props to the OP but didn't want in that shitstorm
    Yup, and its generally that shit-for-brains crackhead douchebag CDA who is doing the wrecking. That guy had to be an abused child.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Yup, and its generally that shit-for-brains crackhead douchebag CDA who is doing the wrecking. That guy had to be an abused child.
    No. That's just what happens when your team hasn't one a championship in 15 years, have watched teams like Eastern Washington (who plays in a glorified high school stadium compared to their palace WaGriz Stadium) become a better program, and have watched a team from North Dakota move up to D1 and become monumentally more success at the FCS level.

Just a guy who is jealous and has to resort to fat jokes and calling the Fargodome a tin shed in order for him to feel better about the Griz's mediocrity, lack of success in recent years and long standing tradition of choking in the national championship game. Also guessing he has to try to make himself feel better after watching the Griz get beat by 31 points in the playoffs which is the second biggest ass kicking they have ever suffered in the playoffs and the 6 points their team scored being the second fewest in their playoff history.

I stand by my original statement>>>> he was an abused, red headed, pimple faced, kicked to the curb, picked-on in grammar school , laughed at in junior high, picked last in dodgeball games, shunned by classmates, dateless for the prom, voted least likely to succeed, rejected by the military (prior don't ask, don't tell), and not invited back to class or family reunions......sums up CDA rather well.

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Urban Dictionary has CDA defined as "Chronic Dick Ache".
    No wonder he is always so pissy.

Alternate definition: "Complete Dumb Ass"