Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is North Dakota State Football's Greatest Dynasty article

Default Re: Is North Dakota State Football's Greatest Dynasty article

Page 13 of this week's Sports Illustrated has a pic of Coach K holding the Natty Trophy...not much press, but at least it's something.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Coach K.'s clock has to be ticking at this point. Next year, year 3 is always a critical year for a new coach. Those are largely his players at that point, so really no more questions to be answered at that point. If NDSU does well again, I have to think he is gone. I know he is humble, loves Fargo and all that, but let's be real if someone walks up to his house with a wheelbarrow full of cash. BTW, here is my guess: I really think it will be P5. NDSU has gotten enough press at this point, I think knowledgeable alumni at the right school could buy into taking a chance on Coach K. My guess is he lasts no more than 2 more years if he keeps winning.
    I agree. I believe at the end of the 3rd championship DVD there are some comments from Coach K where he says something along the line of how long he will be at NDSU. It wasn't what I expected and made me think he does not see himself at NDSU long term. Maybe I misinterpreted, but even though he is humble, I think he has higher ambitions.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Coach K.'s clock has to be ticking at this point. Next year, year 3 is always a critical year for a new coach. Those are largely his players at that point, so really no more questions to be answered at that point. If NDSU does well again, I have to think he is gone. I know he is humble, loves Fargo and all that, but let's be real if someone walks up to his house with a wheelbarrow full of cash. BTW, here is my guess: I really think it will be P5. NDSU has gotten enough press at this point, I think knowledgeable alumni at the right school could buy into taking a chance on Coach K. My guess is he lasts no more than 2 more years if he keeps winning.
    I will worry when he leaves as we will have to compete with him and Bohl for recruits if Bohl makes it that long. The more unbelievable success we have the more people will look in MN, Wisconsin, ND, and SD for some of these same athletes.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    I will worry when he leaves as we will have to compete with him and Bohl for recruits if Bohl makes it that long. The more unbelievable success we have the more people will look in MN, Wisconsin, ND, and SD for some of these same athletes.
    I suppose it's wishful thinking on my part that he won't leave, but if someone floats out a big payday at a P5, he'd be gone I'm afraid. I don't see him settling for a place like Wyoming.

For now we should worry about #6 and enjoy the ride. Someday it is inevitable that he will leave, but in the meantime I say

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    I agree. I believe at the end of the 3rd championship DVD there are some comments from Coach K where he says something along the line of how long he will be at NDSU. It wasn't what I expected and made me think he does not see himself at NDSU long term. Maybe I misinterpreted, but even though he is humble, I think he has higher ambitions.
    We want coaches with higher ambitions. The moment we have a head coach who feels NDSU is a destination job, the program will be on the road to stagnancy. Hungry, ambitious coaches look for ways to improve the program's stock, which in turn improves their stock. Maybe that ambition could be met at NDSU if there are future plans to transition to a higher level. I have said it many times, I think Coach K is a defensive genius. If I was a P5 head coach needing to improve a defense to take my program to the next level, I would be in Fargo yesterday finding out what it would take to bring him on board. I do think a couple more years of success at NDSU and he makes the jump over G5 into a P5 head coaching job. While one could already argue he has recruited many of the student/athletes in the current program, even under Bohl, in two years it will be without question his program. The track record of keeping recruits, maintaining success, and reloading with quality young athletes on the fly has been outstanding when most programs have a difficult time with a regime change. There will be a couple of consequences with continued praise and press for this program. Coach K will become a very well known in the college ranks. I am sure his coaching peers already appreciate his ability, but we all know boosters and fanbases want known commodities as their next head coach. Another consequence is NDSU will become better known as a red hot springboard for talented coaches. I could see our next head coach coming from the coordinator ranks of a larger institution with someone who wants to cut their teeth in an executive coaching role. There is nothing wrong with NDSU becoming a launching pad for future P5 head coaches. That would be a very good place for our program.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    We want coaches with higher ambitions. The moment we have a head coach who feels NDSU is a destination job, the program will be on the road to stagnancy. Hungry, ambitious coaches look for ways to improve the program's stock, which in turn improves their stock. Maybe that ambition could be met at NDSU if there are future plans to transition to a higher level. I have said it many times, I think Coach K is a defensive genius. If I was a P5 head coach needing to improve a defense to take my program to the next level, I would be in Fargo yesterday finding out what it would take to bring him on board. I do think a couple more years of success at NDSU and he makes the jump over G5 into a P5 head coaching job. While one could already argue he has recruited many of the student/athletes in the current program, even under Bohl, in two years it will be without question his program. The track record of keeping recruits, maintaining success, and reloading with quality young athletes on the fly has been outstanding when most programs have a difficult time with a regime change. There will be a couple of consequences with continued praise and press for this program. Coach K will become a very well known in the college ranks. I am sure his coaching peers already appreciate his ability, but we all know boosters and fanbases want known commodities as their next head coach. Another consequence is NDSU will become better known as a red hot springboard for talented coaches. I could see our next head coach coming from the coordinator ranks of a larger institution with someone who wants to cut their teeth in an executive coaching role. There is nothing wrong with NDSU becoming a launching pad for future P5 head coaches. That would be a very good place for our program.

Iowa has an opening right now for a linebackers coach. I don't know salaries for LB coaches, but a job like that gets your foot in the P5 door. He knows a guy there as well
    Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Gal View Post
    Fantastic SBNation story on NDSU Football dynasty.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/201...ntz-Nick-Saban
    Very nice read!
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Yes

10char

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Gal View Post
    Fantastic SBNation story on NDSU Football dynasty.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/201...ntz-Nick-Saban
    Thanks for posting. Years ago, when I first discovered that Georgia Southern had 6 FCS Championships, it seemed almost out of reach. Now, here NDSU is .... It really is amazing, not that long ago we were tailgating on the grass, sights set on making the playoffs. A very fun ride for sure.
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!