Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Iowa Roll Call

Default Re: Iowa Roll Call

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    So where will we tailgate? I believe there was a thread where the Iowa State / UNI fan that posts here gave us some advice.
    There are tailgate lots all over the place. You-we will not be close to the stadium. Finkbine Golf course. About a mile from the stadium.
    The lots out in Coralville. Where ever the Alumni Ass can get space. You can also get close to the stadium by parking in somebodies yard for 20-40 bucks. They might have tailgating there and they might not. There are houses and yard parties all over around the stadium. You can park at Finkbine and walk to the stadium and take in a bunch of the parties along Melrose. Some are private and some are not.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    There are tailgate lots all over the place. You-we will not be close to the stadium. Finkbine Golf course. About a mile from the stadium.
    The lots out in Coralville. Where ever the Alumni Ass can get space. You can also get close to the stadium by parking in somebodies yard for 20-40 bucks. They might have tailgating there and they might not. There are houses and yard parties all over around the stadium. You can park at Finkbine and walk to the stadium and take in a bunch of the parties along Melrose. Some are private and some are not.
    sounds good to me. Sorta like the Kansas game...the tailgate was boring but we had no idea there were house parties all over the place right across the street from the stadium. would've been there hours ago had we known.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    sounds good to me. Sorta like the Kansas game...the tailgate was boring but we had no idea there were house parties all over the place right across the street from the stadium. would've been there hours ago had we known.
    At this game you will see more coolers with wheels than youve ever seen. At the south end of the stadium is Melrose. The houses on the other side have rented out there yards to food vendors. you will find smoked turkey legs, pork chops on a stick, Iowas largest bratwurst at Jerry and Margies Catering.(1/2lb brats---6.00) (i get my brats from them), Gyros, pizza, polynesian pork, and many more. Eat there. Do not eat the food in the stadium.
    As you walk down Melrose at the south end of the stadium you will find small streets that branch off to the south. Melrose circle, Melrose Prk, Melrose Blvd etc etc. Venture down those streets there will be house parties and yard parties all over.
    Tailgate lots where you wont be parking but you can find---go to the north end of Kinnick Stadium.Go NW to the Rec Building(funny roof) follow the sidewalk to the baseball field and past. Many lots of tailgating going on all the way to the Carver Hawkeye Arena. Which is the wrestling and BB venue. Thats also where Gene Taylor has his office and its pretty cool to go in and see the place. Statue of Dan Gable outside.

Downtown Iowa City has a ton of bars. The Airliner is a decent place to hang. The owner used to play for Michigan State.
    More info later.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

We will be there. Period.

Till I Die, Bison Football

I hear Iowa has some really good tailgating. A friend of mine graduated from their. He favors NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    Our whole group is supposedly in at this point, but we haven't started looking for rooms or tickets yet. Where is the best area of town to stay?
    Not sure who told you that but not true.Sure as hell is not backward,if I were you I would look for rooms in Coralville which is a suburb lots of new hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyejoe View Post
    Not sure who told you that but not true.Sure as hell is not backward,if I were you I would look for rooms in Coralville which is a suburb lots of new hotels.
    LOL -- that's his signature. It's from a Kenny Chesney song...

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/kenny...icomefrom.html
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post

There are no big spaces near the stadium for public tailgating, so unless your Alumni Association rents a lot out from under the Hawkeye fans (it has been known to happen), then you will probably be pretty far away. Either walking from Finkbine which is not close, but walkable. Or being way, way far away and taking the Hawkeye Express train in. Yes, they have a train that does nothing but run from Coralville to the game $12 round-trip and its locomotive has Iowa State colors! Lots of hotels near the Coralville end of the train.

The tailgate party scene is excellent, but largely private. They are in small parking garages, apartment courtyards, etc. Each is quite self-contained. Nothing like the free-flowing in Fargo, Ames, or Cedar Falls. A few of you will be able to find some great spots with Hawkeye fans, but generally, it isn't the sort of tailgate scene where you just walk around and feel free to stop anywhere.

And be very careful of the police who are famous for giving open container citations to visiting fans.

The only thing going for you is the fact that attendance has been down in recent years. Since this isn't opening day or an in-state rivalry game, I think attendance will be a bit down for this game . . . which opens up possibilities for you guys for tickets, hotels, parking, tailgate, etc.

Surely some friend Hawkeye fans will post and give you more specific and more accurate info. In their absence, I continue to serve you as best I can. And for the first time I've ever said this about a game with an Iowa team . . . Go Bison!
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What are the tickets for sale for this game on Stubhub? I would assume people don't have them in hand yet.

It would be selling NDSU tickets for next fall.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    What are the tickets for sale for this game on Stubhub? I would assume people don't have them in hand yet.

It would be selling NDSU tickets for next fall.

People know they can renew their season tickets, so they post them for sale now with a later date for delivery. Not sure if they have it, but surely they have some sort of ticket exchange on their ticket office site. If you register, you will probably find better deals there because they are trying to sell to each other rather than the opposing team.

Edit. Why am I'm telling you guys about this? You are the masters at buying tickets from other team's ticket offices.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016