Thread: Van Ginkel to transfer from USD

Default Van Ginkel to transfer from USD

From Brian Shawn Twitter

A source tells @ElsenMidcoSN that DE/LB Andrew Van Ginkel is transferring from South Dakota. Talented young player, had sack vs. NDSU.

His name was said a ton during the yote game.

Sent using a Speak N Spell and an Etch a Sketch
    Last edited by bisonpride4ever; 01-11-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Default Re: Van Ginkel to transfer from USD

That would be a big loss for the 'Yotes, if it happens.
    Van Ginkel is a FR DE from Rock Valley, Iowa, listed at 6' 4", 230.
    Wonder if it's his dream to be a Hawkeye?

Van Ginkel was the Missouri Valley Football freshman of the year.
    (From the MVFC site)

 For the first time since joining the league in 2012, a South Dakota student-athlete has earned Freshman of the Year honors as Andrew Van Ginkel earned the award this year. He's the second Coyote to win a major player award, joining Tyler Starr, who was Defensive Player of the Year in 2013. Van Ginkel finished the regular season ranked second in the MVFC in both sacks (9.0) and tackles-for-loss (18.0) and also finished as the team’s fifth-leading tackler with 56. He ranks second nationally with three fumble recoveries and also added two forced fumbles, blocked a kick, and had two breakups and six hurries
    Last edited by bruinbison; 01-11-2016 at 05:22 PM.

South Dakota board thinks Van Ginkel is transferring to
    Iowa Western Community College. As he redshirted at SD, this
    would allow him to keep playing without sitting out another year,
    then look to play Div I football. Iowa Western is a good program,
    produces some Division I players.
    (e.g. Minnesota Gopher LB Cody Poock, whom NDSU had offered)

Wow, huge loss for the yotes!!! He's a stud!

Help me out; why does this make sense for him? Personal issues likely? Or, a way to keep playing then jump to FBS?

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Help me out; why does this make sense for him? Personal issues likely? Or, a way to keep playing then jump to FBS?
    Knowing very few details about this situation myself (which makes this the perfect time and platform to chime in, right?), I wouldn't be shocked if it's exactly what bruinbison laid out. The exact same scenario just happened to Concordia-St.Paul in basketball. Their stud 6'9", freakishly athletic wing Nuni Omot was a sophomore who used his redshirt year his first year at CSP, played his redshirt freshman year for the Golden Bears, and, this summer, transferred to Indian Hills Community College (a JuCo powerhouse known for cranking out D1 players). Before he even played a game at Indian Hills, he had offers from several major D1s and ultimately committed to Baylor University before the season even started. Now he'll play a season at Indian Hills and, without losing an entire year due to transfer rules (as would have happened if he'd gone straight from CSP to Baylor), play his junior and senior years for Baylor.

Interestingly, I just realized both schools have the same mascot: Golden Bears for CSP, simply the Bears for Baylor (although Baylor could probably just as easily be called the Neon Bears). I only mention this because the similar mascot issue made my first attempt at this explanation more confusing than I would've liked.

HerdBoy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post

Jake Waters (Kansas State), Aaron Wimberly (Iowa State).

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Knowing very few details about this situation myself (which makes this the perfect time and platform to chime in, right?), I wouldn't be shocked if it's exactly what bruinbison laid out. The exact same scenario just happened to Concordia-St.Paul in basketball. Their stud 6'9", freakishly athletic wing Nuni Omot was a sophomore who used his redshirt year his first year at CSP, played his redshirt freshman year for the Golden Bears, and, this summer, transferred to Indian Hills Community College (a JuCo powerhouse known for cranking out D1 players). Before he even played a game at Indian Hills, he had offers from several major D1s and ultimately committed to Baylor University before the season even started. Now he'll play a season at Indian Hills and, without losing an entire year due to transfer rules (as would have happened if he'd gone straight from CSP to Baylor), play his junior and senior years for Baylor.

Interestingly, I just realized both schools have the same mascot: Golden Bears for CSP, simply the Bears for Baylor (although Baylor could probably just as easily be called the Neon Bears). I only mention this because the similar mascot issue made my first attempt at this explanation more confusing than I would've liked.
    Or, to contradict myself, maybe he just came in to play under Joe Glenn and now that Joe is gone, he wants to play somewhere else.

Jay is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Committed to Wisconsin tonight.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Committed to Wisconsin tonight.
    o.O

10 char
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.