Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 9/3/16 ?

Default Re: 9/3/16 ?

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBison View Post
    Oh I agree... different strategies on team building ... JSU seems to think they are always being compared to Alabama ... I don't think the Bizon have the same problem with being compared local to the Goofers.
    And that is critical. It is not that the "transfer strategy" is necessarily bad. Players that are borderline are more likely to choose NDSU over, let's say, Minnesota. If you are a high school stand out and are offered an opportunity to play for Alabama or Auburn or LSU or Florida, etc. who WOULDN'T do that? If that same player played in Minnesota NDSU would get serious consideration, I believe.

I think the fallacy that JSU falls into is to think that ANY player with FBS on their resume, especially SEC, is inherently superior to anyone that would be recruited by an FCS school. That is because their experience has likely been that players that go to the FCS and not the FBS are largely inferior players. It is likely that, in that part of the country, any player that doesn't even try to go to the FBS school is probably pretty bad. That isn't the case but, in large part, because there are not great FBS programs in this part of the country, at least nothing that is going to compare to what they can find in the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    I was talking to a JSU fan after the game and he was asking how many transfers NDSU had and where they were from. I told him NDSU doesn't get many transfers (Frazier was the only one I could think of at the time). He seemed mystified. Then I explained that NDSU is a marquee program up here. If recruited by a "local" FBS school it would be Minnesota or Iowa or something like that, not exactly a marquee place. In that case, winning national championships with NDSU sounds pretty good. In Alabama the same recruit might get an opportunity to "walk-on" at Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc. Many would take their chances and, if things don't work out, can transfer to FCS school, like JSU. In short, they are probably the same athletes, NDSU just gets them as Freshman, JSU gets them as transfers. Given my choice, I like getting them as freshmen. Then they learn to play together for several years instead of assembling guys for 1-2 years like with transfers.
    Its just a different business model based on location and who is your recruiting competition. They do what they do because thats what they have to to be successful. They cant get kids to come there right out of HS because they want to follow the dream. They get lost in the shuffle so the leave for playing time. Some schools rely on a host of jucos every 2 years. Our location and competition is totally different.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Its just a different business model based on location and who is your recruiting competition. They do what they do because thats what they have to to be successful. They cant get kids to come there right out of HS because they want to follow the dream. They get lost in the shuffle so the leave for playing time. Some schools rely on a host of jucos every 2 years. Our location and competition is totally different.
    That is exactly what I was trying to say, but you did it far more succinctly.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    And that is critical. It is not that the "transfer strategy" is necessarily bad. Players that are borderline are more likely to choose NDSU over, let's say, Minnesota. If you are a high school stand out and are offered an opportunity to play for Alabama or Auburn or LSU or Florida, etc. who WOULDN'T do that? haIf tt same player played in Minnesota NDSU would get serious consideration, I believe.

I think the fallacy that JSU falls into is to think that ANY player with FBS on their resume, especially SEC, is inherently superior to anyone that would be recruited by an FCS school. That is because their experience has likely been that players that go to the FCS and not the FBS are largely inferior players. It is likely that, in that part of the country, any player that doesn't even try to go to the FBS school is probably pretty bad. That isn't the case but, in large part, because there are not great FBS programs in this part of the country, at least nothing that is going to compare to what they can find in the SEC.

if you get a minnesota offer you take it over NDSU every time, a PWO to Gophers hits at about a 80% rate. Face Facts, as long as NDSU stays fcs the "image" will always hurt us.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

VirginiaBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

How does one go about "recruiting" FBS transfers? Do the kids contact JSU or does JSU call kids that are cut by FBS teams and make them an offer? Just wondering....

I thought there was gonna be an announcement?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post

You will get a text
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post

still another day...or week.....or month....or...shit
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant