Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Speed Guy"

Default The "Speed Guy"

Was watching Halstrom's 'Further Review' last night and he had some comments on the Spring Game. One, he mentioned that we need (and are supposedly planning to) sign several JUCO's/transfers to shore up the D-Line. What are the details there? Secondly, he gave positive comments on the receiving corps but noted that he "still couldn't tell who the speed guy is". Who are we looking at for the deep threat this year? Travis White? Who else?? Inquiring minds want to know....

GO BISON!!
    Beat Minnesota

Default Re: The "Speed Guy"

Personally, I would use Heckendorf as the speed guy and use players that can catch the ball and were receivers when they were recruited, rather than trying to teach a fast guy to catch!! People don't realize how complicated being a receiver is..with the timing required and the routes to learn not to mention blocking. Running good crisp routes , any receiver has the advantage over the defense . I think Hekendorf, with his size and hands could make up the slight disadvantage in speed over trying to convert someone else with no receiving experience.

NDSU has signed to letters on intent 2 defensive linemen from NDSSS. On of them is Mike Brown an interior defensive lineman who earned All-American status last season. The other is Christon Dallas a former all-stater from Florida who is a defensive end. They have also signed a young man, Thomas Campbell an interior defensive lineman, who was originally recruited by Auburn and redshirted in their program. Because of family problems he had to drop out of school and now wants to return. All three were at the spring game. As far as the speed man in the receiving corp, every team needs a guy that can stretch the field and plant that seed of doubt in a defensive backs mind. It didn't look like there was one in the spring game. Alex Belquist had a long TD catch but he was covered well and got lucky when he broke between two defenders and the ball was right there. Shamen Washington and freshman Gary wright would be the two best possibilities for a field stretcher.
    Go Bison, Bob

I still say Heckendorf for the speed guy.

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison
    Was watching Halstrom's 'Further Review' last night and he had some comments on the Spring Game. *One, he mentioned that we need (and are supposedly planning to) sign several JUCO's/transfers to shore up the D-Line. *What are the details there? *Secondly, he gave positive comments on the receiving corps but noted that he "still couldn't tell who the speed guy is". *Who are we looking at for the deep threat this year? *Travis White? *Who else?? *Inquiring minds want to know....

GO BISON!!
    Beat Minnesota
    He also said that NDSU probably needs 3 "starters" for the d-line and that they inked 3 transfers so the hope is that they can start this fall.

I think NDSU is pretty well set up for starters on the DL.

These transfers will probably compete with current players for back up spots.

NDSU doesn't need a speed guy. We have a lot of good possesion receivers and that works well with our run often/short pass offense.

Yeah we like to go for a big one now and then. Washington and Champ seem to fit that bill perfectly. They're both true speedsters in the mold of Burrell and Johnson.

mikelsch Guest

I would say that Jamar Champ is the 'speed' guy right now. He and Shamen will be the two kickoff returners.

Bison_Dan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MplsBison
    I think NDSU is pretty well set up for starters on the DL.

These transfers will probably compete with current players for back up spots.

NDSU doesn't need a speed guy. We have a lot of good possesion receivers and that works well with our run often/short pass offense.

Yeah we like to go for a big one now and then. Washington and Champ seem to fit that bill perfectly. They're both true speedsters in the mold of Burrell and Johnson.
    We absolutely need a speed guy otherwise the free safety is in the box all game long. Just like last year. Our running game will improve 100% if the defense doesn't have a chance to cheat. ;D

Gamehunter Guest

Gary Williams could potentially be the speed guy next year if Bohl decides to not redshirt him. My guess is he does though. Williams runs a 10.6 100 meter.

Also, I would be very surprised if none of the 3 incomming JUCO's don't push for immediate spots on the starting lineup. Frick is locked in at DT, but other than that the positions look very much up in the air.

bison4life Guest

I would say champ is the speed guy right now. I was used a decoy alot to open the run game and it works but it also helps to have that deep threat. I can see the coaches putting shamen in the back field and letting him release up the middle of the field for a hb fly route.