Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Speed Guy"

Default Re: The "Speed Guy"

There were 2 speed guys that we did not see in the spring game. Shamen Washington and Travis White.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior
    There were 2 speed guys that we did not see in the spring game. *Shamen Washington and Travis White.

Travis White is more of a possession receiver then a burner isn't he?

The only thing that stood out about Travis White that I could remember is he has exceptional hands.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico
    [quote author=roadwarrior link=1146138272/0#10 date=1146166654]There were 2 speed guys that we did not see in the spring game. *Shamen Washington and Travis White.

Travis White is more of a possession receiver then a burner isn't he?

The only thing that stood out about Travis White that I could remember is he has exceptional hands.[/quote]

White also does a very good job with his routes.

Champ has plenty of speed, why not use it??
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan

We absolutely need a speed guy otherwise the free safety is in the box all game long. Just like last year. Our running game will improve 100% if the defense doesn't have a chance to cheat.
    Lets get some things straight.

First of all, the free saftey is never in the box, unless you're running some weird offense. Hence the name "free" saftey. It doesn't matter if you're running cover 2, 3, 0, man, whatever. Unless the FS is on a blitz, he's dropping back as soon as the ball is snapped.

Second of all, if you're a defensive coordinator and you don't have the strong saftey in the box against us, you're going to get fired. You can't run 2 deep safteies against our running game. Just doesn't happen.

The strong saftey is going to be down (maybe not in the box, but certainly in a run support position) most of the time against our offense in non obvious passing situations.

Third of all, you don't need a 100m guy from the track team to keep the safteies honest. I'll take a guy like White or Heckendorf out wide on a slant all day against 1 saftey. Just find the soft part of their zone and you're talking about a first down maybe a big play if he breaks a tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by MplsBison
    Third of all, you don't need a 100m guy from the track team to keep the safteies honest. I'll take a guy like White or Heckendorf out wide on a slant all day against 1 saftey. Just find the soft part of their zone and you're talking about a first down maybe a big play if he breaks a tackle.

It's a good point. Some guys just have a knack for getting themselves open, and putting themselves in a position to get a good throw from the QB. Nate Burleson is a perfect example of this.

Bison_Pride is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was at the spring game and I have to agree with Hallstrom and Bob_Holliday, I didn't see them giving much respect to any of the receivers as a deep threat during the game. The were being challenged at the line and the deep routes were pretty well covered by the CB's. Maybe it'll be different whe we see all the #1 guys out on the field this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison_Pride
    I was at the spring game and I have to agree with Hallstrom and Bob_Holliday, I didn't see them giving much respect to any of the receivers as a deep threat during the game. The were being challenged at the line and the deep routes were pretty well covered by the CB's. Maybe it'll be different whe we see all the #1 guys out on the field this fall.
    It's important to note that with the increased level of talent of our cornerbacks, the new defensive coordinators could've switched from a zone covereage to a man conference. This is closer to what the big DI schools and the pros do. The corners are responsible for their wide outs short to deep.

I watched too many times the last 8 years where the speed guys either made perhaps one big play every other game, but then cost us many games by not catching balls that good receivers will catch. There were games that time after time we threw the long sideline routes that I felt was way overdone. Keep in mind, I am not picking on the speed guys only...it could be the QBs fault also, or the O line not holding long enough. At any rate, the teams I have watched (Bison) would have been much better off with all-around good receivers playing every spot. Way too much emphasis on the long routes which utilized the "speed player".

Quote Originally Posted by bisongold
    I watched too many times the last 8 years where the speed guys either made perhaps one big play every other game, but then cost us many games by not catching balls that good receivers will catch. *There were games that time after time we threw the long sideline routes that I felt was way overdone. *Keep in mind, I am not picking on the speed guys only...it could be the QBs fault also, or the O line not holding long enough. *At any rate, the teams I have watched (Bison) would have been much better off with all-around good receivers playing every spot. *Way too much emphasis on the long routes which utilized the "speed player". *
    ++++++++++Couldn't have said it better myself.

Way too many "drive killing" long balls being thrown to guys who either don't catch "catchable" balls or throws that are forced to these guys when the defense has enough speed to cover our "speed" guy.

I also don't like to put extra pressure on a guy to be "the speed guy".

I don't care if you run a 4.0 40 and are 6'5". Catching a long bomb is a hard job. It's a low percentage deal.

I'd rather see a slow but steady attack of running the ball and throwing the quick and medium routes.

Nothing wrong with going downtown a couple times. But we shouldn't need to (unless we're down by the touchdown and it's a hail marry).

1st down is the best time to go deep. If you don't get it, no big deal. You can still make the first down on 2nd and 3rd.