Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Roll call: Who has been watching those riveting minor bowl games?

Default Re: Roll call: Who has been watching those riveting minor bowl games?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Yeah, I believe it was NCAA v. Board of Regents of University of Oklahoma back around 1984 for the anti-trust lawsuit. The emerging cable networks needed programming and were willing to pay for it.

Now with the autonomy granted to the P5, they most likely feel like they shouldn't need to share their pie with everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as they continue to bring in the major share of the audience, they will be right. This is why NDSU will need to continue improving their brand so they "might" get a P5 invite. However, this is a long process and something that might take a few decades at the earliest. Right now, NDSU is drawing pretty good numbers, but still needs to conquer a bigger share of the upper Mid-West.
    Hail the BISON!!!

There is no financial reason for college football to make drastic changes to the Bowl system.

I fully expect the playoff field to get expanded to 8. They could still use existing bowls to do it (or not).

I posted a while ago that the Bowls would only go away if the money went away (sponsors). I remain convinced of that. Since I don't see what the sponsors see, I can't speculate on what it would take for that to happen.

BTW, 5-7 Nebraska beat UCLA. The same Nebraska that should have been 4-8. Go figure.

Default Roll call: Who has been watching those riveting minor bowl games?

Deleted double post

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    There is no financial reason for college football to make drastic changes to the Bowl system.

I fully expect the playoff field to get expanded to 8. They could still use existing bowls to do it (or not).

I posted a while ago that the Bowls would only go away if the money went away (sponsors). I remain convinced of that. Since I don't see what the sponsors see, I can't speculate on what it would take for that to happen.

BTW, 5-7 Nebraska beat UCLA. The same Nebraska that should have been 4-8. Go figure.

Allowing only four teams in a playoffs assures that the money will only go to the P5 conferences. This is why they hesitated so long to create a playoff system, and when they did, they made it as minimal as possible. Way too much money to be made and the big boys don't like to share. Then again, good for them, as they are the ones who bring in the major audiences.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Allowing only four teams in a playoffs assures that the money will only go to the P5 conferences. This is why they hesitated so long to create a playoff system, and when they did, they made it as minimal as possible. Way too much money to be made and the big boys don't like to share. Then again, good for them, as they are the ones who bring in the major audiences.
    True. Going to 8 wouldn't change that a whole lot. 90% or more years the criteria used for selection will keep G5 programs out and there's no way the selection committee will include much in the way of G5 representation.

The Bowl Championship and all of its incarnations have always been about control. But it only gets changed due to huge public and political pressure.. They know it will have to go to 8 teams. They will continue to walk that fine line until forced to do so. They do nothing willingly.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

I watch them when able and they aren't blowouts. We are 2 months away from being a month removed from football and already looking forward to when it's back.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The Bowl Championship and all of its incarnations have always been about control. But it only gets changed due to huge public and political pressure.. They know it will have to go to 8 teams. They will continue to walk that fine line until forced to do so. They do nothing willingly.
    Yes. When it goes to 8, there is no way they guaranty a spot for a G5 team. It will have to be earned. Meaning probably unbeaten with wins over highly ranked P5 opponents on their OOC schedule. Easier said than done because they will also need to be won in the road.

Nowhere to bail to. The G5 is a worse place to be and we really can't afford it. A P5 invite will never happen. Sorry to ruin the Holidays with reality.
    G5 is worse than fcs? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Arguing with the "Pump it Up" group is pointless. They want NDSU to be stuck in the purgatory-state of college football so the Bison stop out shining their true college football team, Goofers.
    Hate to break it to you, but outside of the fcs bubble, ndsu is in a deeper college football purgatory.

I know

Buttfrisco

Buttd1nationalchampionship

Butt butt butt