Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bo Ryan

Default Bo Ryan

Bo Ryan announces he's immediately retiring. Really interesting timing.

Dom's Tweet a bit ago. Wonder of this will have any affect on the NDSU staff due to several connections to Bo's staff. Did he have anyone waiting in the wings or would Saul have a shot at this job due to his connections there??
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Default Re: Bo Ryan

Not sure Saul had done enough to get consideration. Just my opinion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Bo Ryan announces he's immediately retiring. Really interesting timing.

Dom's Tweet a bit ago. Wonder of this will have any affect on the NDSU staff due to several connections to Bo's staff. Did he have anyone waiting in the wings or would Saul have a shot at this job due to his connections there??
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.
    Greg Gard has been Bo's top assistant for several years...kind of the "coach in waiting" approach. He passed on a couple of HC offers (UW-GB comes to mind) to stay on as Bo's guy and potential successor. It sounds like Alvarez isn't completely sold on turning the job over to Gard, so he may poke around to see if he can lure in a bigger name (my opinion).

Interesting note: Coach Krabbenhoft at SDSU is close with Gard and would presumably be on a short list to join Gard's staff at Wisconsin...taking away SDSU's best recruiter.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

In hindsight, Ryan should have just stuck with his offseason decision to retire. Ah well, the WIU win was good for the Summit.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

NDSU staff is safe and shouldn't change anything. As for Saul I dont think he will get that call, Bo's son Will is with Saul at Ohio. Interesting point on Krabbenhoft, and definitely would be in the mix with Gard if he gets the job.

Also what a career for Bo, just a fantastic coach and always did it the right way building a team imo. The timing is a bit strange but this will allow Gard to prove his worth.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    In hindsight, Ryan should have just stuck with his offseason decision to retire. Ah well, the WIU win was good for the Summit.
    In his press conference he said they wanted to do it then, but Gard's father was battling cancer and they didn't want to dump this on him at that time. His father had passed so then it was time to pick a date. They decided on semester break. Very admirable.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    In his press conference he said they wanted to do it then, but Gard's father was battling cancer and they didn't want to dump this on him at that time. His father had passed so then it was time to pick a date. They decided on semester break. Very admirable.
    Wow, that is classy.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I agree 100%. His PC last night was tough to watch. He is probably one of the more overlooked coaches in this era. I have heard him speak a couple times, mostly when I was in Minneapolis, but was lucky enough to get to sit in on a chalk talk session he had with NDSU assistants early on during the transition at NDSU in the off season. Tons of knowledge and it seemed to me like a good guy.

Saul joining JG on KFAN shortly to chat Bo Ryan retirement and other stuff
    Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!

Name an interim. Off season go after Jacobson.