Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Nielson to USD

Default Re: Bob Nielson to USD

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    I would take that as he is not going anywhere
    Actually #itcomeswithwinning would be an appropriate hashtag for your coach getting hired away.

Looks like the opera lady is not singing quite yet.....

Ben Marth
    Ben Marth – ‏@Ben_WGEM

@JtESPN991 @jhoeck @mickgarry @ElsenMidcoSN @argusmattz @NickESPN991
    my understanding is the offer ($$$) wasn't what he was looking for.
    Too bad for the 'Yotes if they don't get Nielson. If this USD thing does not
    happen I'll be glad he is not right next door to Minnesota for recruiting
    reasons. (UMD years included)

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Looks like the opera lady is not singing quite yet.....

Too bad for the 'Yotes if they don't get Nielson. If this USD thing does not
    happen I'll be glad he is not right next door to Minnesota for recruiting
    reasons. (UMD years included)
    This is just speculation. I swear, I have read more of these rumors on the USD message board before the get tweeted out by Mick, Jay, etc. One would think that the "sources" they speak of are us posters on the USD message board, which I would actually trust some of the posters there as I know some of them are pretty connected with the University and athletic dept. Anyways, right now I'm not buying anything that is coming out in the press. Everyone has known for practically this entire season that Glenn was probably going to retire. The search committee has been working in the shadows forever on this. To think a potential candidate didn't know exactly what they would get paid, etc before they took the interview is ridiculous. The people at USD know they are going to have to pony up for this coach. I just don't see how anybody thinks we can come in with a lowball offer and attract a decent candidate. The latest runor is that the issue is not the dollar amount but the inability of USD to offer anything other than one year contracts due to state law. Coaches want the stability of multi-year contracts.

I will be happy when this whole process is over and we can move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    This is just speculation. I swear, I have read more of these rumors on the USD message board before the get tweeted out by Mick, Jay, etc. One would think that the "sources" they speak of are us posters on the USD message board, which I would actually trust some of the posters there as I know some of them are pretty connected with the University and athletic dept. Anyways, right now I'm not buying anything that is coming out in the press. Everyone has known for practically this entire season that Glenn was probably going to retire. The search committee has been working in the shadows forever on this. To think a potential candidate didn't know exactly what they would get paid, etc before they took the interview is ridiculous. The people at USD know they are going to have to pony up for this coach. I just don't see how anybody thinks we can come in with a lowball offer and attract a decent candidate. The latest runor is that the issue is not the dollar amount but the inability of USD to offer anything other than one year contracts due to state law. Coaches want the stability of multi-year contracts.

I will be happy when this whole process is over and we can move on.
    Ding, Ding, Ding! I've been ripping SDSU folks for years about how can anyone take your team seriously when you are not even willing to give multi-year contracts? They are damn lucky they have Stig; he goes, they will also have a hot mess on there hands.

In USD's and SDSU's defense, it's not really our fault that state law does not allow for any employee of the state anything more than a year to year contract. Thing is, it didn't really hurt us in our last two hires of both a men's and women's basketball coach. I will have to admit, it has got to limit the pool of candidates. One of our posters over on the USD board, who I do trust as a good source of information, has said he personally knows of a coach who pulled their name from consideration due to the one year contract issue. So it has had a negative effect already.

In USD's and SDSU's defense, it's not really our fault that state law does not allow for any employee of the state anything more than a year to year contract. Thing is, it didn't really hurt us in our last two hires of both a men's and women's basketball coach. I will have to admit, it has got to limit the pool of candidates. One of our posters over on the USD board, who I do trust as a good source of information, has said he personally knows of a coach who pulled their name from consideration due to the one year contract issue. So it has had a negative effect already.
    We find our open records law also hinders hiring.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

This is just speculation. I swear, I have read more of these rumors on the USD message board before the get tweeted out by Mick, Jay, etc...........

I will be happy when this whole process is over and we can move on
    I'm actually happy for USD that there is so much interest in this coaching hire, by the media, by the fans and hopefully by multiple well-qualified candidates.
    Far worse would be a lack of interest.....

But as Bison fans, we certainly can sympathize with wanting the whole process over and being able to move on.
    Try hiring a new Head Coach with the school's season
    on the line in the playoffs.....yikes.....

In USD's and SDSU's defense, it's not really our fault that state law does not allow for any employee of the state anything more than a year to year contract.
    Yes, you can. It shows a backwards thinking mentality in the state and a lack of leadership at USD and SDSU in getting it changed. This is not normal in D1 and how you got Nielson to agree to come is absolutely beyond me.

So you think the powers that be at USD and SDSU haven't been trying to get the one year contract deal changed?

I've never heard the term "backwards thinking" or "lack of leadership" mentioned in the same sentence as USD's President Abbott. I don't think you know our leadership here too well.