Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Bob Nielson to USD

Default Re: Bob Nielson to USD

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I mentioned alumni base for this very reason; size is a huge difference.
    Yes, but so is tradition and longevity. These programs were created when there wasn't much competition. Look at the Packers...
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Yes, but so is tradition and longevity. These programs were created when there wasn't much competition. Look at the Packers...
    That is about the worst example to defend SDSU to not drawing to games considering the size of the stadium and Green Bay......Wow may as well give up after that.

That is about the worst example to defend SDSU to not drawing to games considering the size of the stadium and Green Bay......Wow may as well give up after that.
    Is it? You were the one comparing Brookings to LINCOLN and SuFu to Omaha. It's not even fair to compare Fargo to Lincoln. Dude, get real. Let them build up their program. Do you remember when there were 5k people in the dome? Because I do...I was one of them. Get off your high horse.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

I mentioned alumni base for this very reason; size is a huge difference.
    That's what she said

Is it? You were the one comparing Brookings to LINCOLN and SuFu to Omaha. It's not even fair to compare Fargo to Lincoln. Dude, get real. Let them build up their program. Do you remember when there were 5k people in the dome? Because I do...I was one of them. Get off your high horse.
    Either you are D1 team or you are not. If you can't point to 5K attendance during the D1 era, I will agree with you. I never even saw that when in college in the D2 era.

Either you are D1 team or you are not. If you can't point to 5K attendance during the D1 era, I will agree with you. I never even saw that when in college in the D2 era.
    But look where the program was in DII later on...it wasn't near the powerhouse and attendance suffered. You could hear a pin drop in that place on Saturday's in the fall...it was absolutely pathetic. We had 12k people at our FIRST DI playoff game.
    check neg rep

But look where the program was in DII later on...it wasn't near the powerhouse and attendance suffered. You could hear a pin drop in that place on Saturday's in the fall...it was absolutely pathetic. We had 12k people at our FIRST DI playoff game.
    As you pointed out, it takes time for tradition to take hold, and last time I checked, SDSU has had as long as NDSU and has been D1 the same amount of time. They have no excuse not to sell the place out and all I get are excuses. If NDSU can do it, they should be able to do it. It is like they view themselves as some kind of underling to NDSU and they can never get there for this, that, and other reasons. I just don't buy it. They should be trying to meet and exceed NDSU, but I just don't get that sense from their fan base, and I work with them everyday.

Now winning would sure help, but honestly, they have done pretty darn well.

As you pointed out, it takes time for tradition to take hold, and last time I checked, SDSU has had as long as NDSU and has been D1 the same amount of time. They have no excuse not to sell the place out and all I get are excuses. If NDSU can do it, they should be able to do it. It is like they view themselves as some kind of underling to NDSU and they can never get there for this, that, and other reasons. I just don't buy it. They should be trying to meet and exceed NDSU, but I just don't get that sense from their fan base, and I work with them everyday.

Yes, but what did it take to get our fanbase to get where it is at today? LOTS of winning...more than "pretty darn well". NDSU has always been a football school...SDSU not so much. Hell, Fargo is a football town which goes along way to helping.
    check neg rep

They are fans/alumns? Not sure what to expect them to do, they aren't the ones playing.
    College of Business Alumnus

So, you have 21K in Watertown, you have 13K in Huron, you have 23K in Brookings, and you have about 230K in the Sioux Falls metro. By my count, that is 287K potential fans who can relatively easily get to your games for 18K seats. Fargo also has about 230K in their metro, 9 K in DL, 7K in Valley City, and 8K in Whapeton. You have another 50K in GF, but that is not exactly NDSU territory. So, even including GF it is 304K people, but 50K are in hostile country.

So yes, you should fill your stadium. Manhattan, KS has only 56K, and they fill a 50K stadium; those numbers look comparable to me, if you use the only folks from Brookings attend games, line.
    For a fair comparison you would have to move NDSU and a half finished Fargo Dome to a small town about 50 miles from F/M. Also move UND to an even smaller town about 60 miles from F/M. Then of course you would have two Division 2 schools with pretty good football programs in F/M.