Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #39 NDSU vs #36 SDSU

Default Re: #39 NDSU vs #36 SDSU

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Tynan wins at HWT, but NDSU loses. I can't even describe how disappointed I am in the performance today. I favored SDSU in the dual, so the loss isn't surprising, but the performance was poor on the whole. Rodriguez looked fantastic, while Bengston and Tynan both looked solid, but the rest of the performances weren't inspiring.
    I would agree with you that this was a very sub-par performance over all. I think this dual was winnable prior to tonight even though SDSU probably is a little deeper with their current lineup. I still expected Ream to win his match tonight along with closer decisions with McNutt & Nerhing. I wasn't sure what to expect at 133 but I think that was a Dec & SDSU got a gift with a late stall call to make it a maj.

If getting off Bottom isn't a priority going forward then I am missing something for sure because we had a very poor performance for sure in that area

Agree 100%

125- Rodriguez looked fantastic. Gillette isn't a bad wrestler and has had some decent success at 133, and Rodriguez just crushed him. I love that he was aggressive from the get go and was looking to beat him badly. If he wrestled with that aggression, he won't lose to many people.
    133- I thought the matchup was bad for Colunga, but he handled himself well. I would've liked to see him cut Bubba after he took him down in the second and try to get back in the match on his feet. He needs to get stronger but he is an exciting young wrestler with some promise.
    141- Bengston dominated for 5 and a half minutes and then put it in cruise control and nearly let it get away. His early TD was encouraging and his ride was really tough. I didn't like the stalling calls. He actively rode Gross for 4 and a half minutes straight and Gross wasn't moving at all. Bengston was also off to the side for 90% of it too
    149- Kocer is good on top, but you have to be able to get away. On the bright side, he dominated the 2nd period on his feet.
    157- I thought Nehring had a very poor performance today. He didn't control the ties and tried to fight off takedowns when it was clear Pack was getting them and went to his back multiple times because of it. He needed to get to his two on one/russian tie and push Pack around and he didn't do that.
    165- Terrible match today. He didn't execute well at all in any phase and it got very ugly. I don't know if it was the injury or what but, this was another performance where he got blown out by a good, but not great opponent.
    174- Thompson just isn't quick enough or good enough technique wise to compete with most guys at this level.
    184- He struggled to get to Ayers' legs for the first time that I can recall. A win is a win, but he hasn't been his typical sharp self lately.
    197- Paxton is in the same boat as Thompson. It'll be tough to get a win in any dual at either weight with them.
    HWT- Tynan was solid. I thought he would win by more, but he handled Macki relatively easily. Ben Tynan is a really good heavyweight.
    Officiating- Poor. No consistency and pretty much every call went SDSU's way.
    Coaching- Didn't really have issues with the in match coaching, just some minor things. Buuuuut, the problems on bottom appear to be getting worse and the fault falls on the coaches as well as the wrestlers. Time to look in the mirror and figure out what is going wrong

Rarely post, but got to catch the dual on Midco and was quite disappointed. From what I saw, I have to agree with some of the other posters - in general, we have a lot of work to do on the bottom - just didn't look good at all down there. Also, some of the guys just seemed out of condition or lacked effort. A bummer for sure.

5 Bison wrestlers got majored or tech fall....with another almost getting majored.

NDSU has a few very good wrestlers with a lot of the lineup that needs a lot of improvement. Hopefully they improve as he season goes along. Dual wise, this team will struggle.

The dual was very entertaining - maybe more so if you are a Jacks fan. After the first couple matches the Ref made event staff place athletic tape in each coach's corner emphasizing the area the respective coaches could roam. Throughout the first two matches both Kish and Bono were all over the place. At one point, Kish even asked for a few of the fans sitting matside to be removed from the event based on some exchange they had. The return dual up in Fargo later this year should be great!

NDSU has owned the Jacks for upwards of 10-15 years in wrestling, but if this dual is any indication things may not play out that way going forward. I don't think the dual was as close as the score indicated. As mentioned, the Bison held their own on their feet in most matches, but were dominated down on the mat.

Zillmer didn't look well during his match. The ref stopped it at one point to examine his face as he must have had a cut or something, but he looked staggered both during the match and then especially walking off after his win. Bengston/Gross was an interesting, albeit somewhat disappointing, match up as well...as Bengston spent most of the match riding off to the side in a spiral ride without much offense whatsoever. Gross didn't push the tempo either...
    Jackrabbit1979 - Bringing delusional Bison fans back down to earth since 2004.

Thanks for the updates!

BRING BACK SNORTY

Spent sometime this weekend in Las Vegas talking with Bono and Reader about the dual. Bono show me the traveling bell that's up for grabs each dual. Pretty cool idea on their part. Seems like they are dedicated to making SDSU successful. Looks like our staff is going to need to step it up big time!
    Hail the BISON!!!