Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Conference Future

Default Re: Summit Conference Future

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    Some of you need to look at a map.
    We fly to every team in the conference except SDSU and USD. Denver is on an island and would like them to join. Reality is when your in ND, SD, and Nebraska, your not going to be a bus league and we have very limited options. Have we seen the Big Sky footprint?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    We fly to every team in the conference except SDSU and USD. Denver is on an island and would like them to join. Reality is when your in ND, SD, and Nebraska, your not going to be a bus league and we have very limited options. Have we seen the Big Sky footprint?
    Sometimes I think some people really do want UND and the old NCC back. If someone wants to argue a regional conference, it's fine to have that opinion, but that is literally our only option. Denver wanted the Summit after seeing the WAC cluster for one year. Oral Roberts was happy to leave and even happier to come back. New Mexico St has a really good basketball program and would really make the conference fun.

I'm someone who could care less about the geography and the cost (it hasn't hurt us yet and it won't by adding NMS) and the land grant schools and all that mumbo jumbo bs. I just want the best possible basketball conference and adding NMS woul absolutely benefit the Summit.

Money talks and bullsh#t walks, Silk.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Money will be walking in more often with a better basketball conference. We've seen that in the last 10 years.

Make this league better I miss Oakland.
    Proud sponsor of SAMBINIS ATHLETICS TFA and SAMBOS TRACK CLUB

NMSU might be worth it for baseball alone. We could really use another baseball school just to give us a bit more breathing room for the autobid. Something UMKC wouldn't help with even if they decided to follow ORU and return. And those are the only two WAC schools that are all that palatable. UVU's & GCU's academics leave a ton to be desired*, and everyone else's geography is way worse than NMSU.

*I don't follow the f'hawker party line about academics being a major factor for conference affiliation at our level, but GCU is a for-profit and UVU was a junior college not that long ago. Either school is just a hair above Chicago St. That's just too much to overlook.

Don't forget that UVSU is full of assholes.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Sometimes I think some people really do want UND and the old NCC back. If someone wants to argue a regional conference, it's fine to have that opinion, but that is literally our only option. Denver wanted the Summit after seeing the WAC cluster for one year. Oral Roberts was happy to leave and even happier to come back. New Mexico St has a really good basketball program and would really make the conference fun.

I'm someone who could care less about the geography and the cost (it hasn't hurt us yet and it won't by adding NMS) and the land grant schools and all that mumbo jumbo bs. I just want the best possible basketball conference and adding NMS woul absolutely benefit the Summit.
    Absolutely. We need to conference to get more teams with more big name recognition and teams that draw well and have great atmospheres. New Mexico State fits the bill.

I think people forget that conferences like the Big Ten are huge because the quality of the opponents and atmospheres are great. Kids want to play in front of great atmospheres against teams with some name recognition. These guys have a better than the rest of the Summit name IMO.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Absolutely. We need to conference to get more teams with more big name recognition and teams that draw well and have great atmospheres. New Mexico State fits the bill.

I think people forget that conferences like the Big Ten are huge because the quality of the opponents and atmospheres are great. Kids want to play in front of great atmospheres against teams with some name recognition. These guys have a better than the rest of the Summit name IMO.
    You really think NMSU would have a better atmosphere than Bison/F'Hawks would (did) have as conference foes? That NMSU has better name recognition to area recruits?

There is no question NMSU is a better basketball program. But we need to keep things honest here.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    You really think NMSU would have a better atmosphere than Bison/F'Hawks would (did) have as conference foes? That NMSU has better name recognition to area recruits?

There is no question NMSU is a better basketball program. But we need to keep things honest here.
    I never said I didn't want UND. They make perfect sense too but we should shoot for more than 1 team to stabilize the conference.

And for the other teams in the conference not in ND or SD, New Mexico State is a better draw than UND. I highly doubt IPFW, IUPUI, Western Illinois, and Oral Roberts fans would get excited about UND. Denver or Omaha fans maybe a little bit with prior history, but no more than NMSU who is new and exciting.

UND would guarantee another sell out for NDSU, SDSU, and USD every year and make the conference tournament even bigger with the close proximity. Those are some great rivalry games.

New Mexico State would flat out be a good draw and help with rpi and attendance for the conference.

I say add both. Would love to play both every year. Fans would love it. Players would love it. Recruits would be more impressed.