Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Conference Future

Default Summit Conference Future

Summit Conference vs Big Sky

4-0 with an average margin of victory of 17.0 points. The only reason I bring this up is because I've followed the Big Sky for a while before NDSU went D1 and it was always a conference that was up and coming with a good team and a sporadic really good player(s). I think Summit can really be one of the better conferences underneath the Mid Major conferences in A-10, Mountain West, Missouri Valley and Conference USA. Right around the 15 range. We'll see.

SDSU has a really nice team this year, hopefully USD and Omaha keep building. We'll need Oral Roberts to be good like they were again. I think our potential lies in the Dakota schools/ORU/Omaha, Denver should be better program than what they are. I think IUPUI/IPFW are maxed out programs. They may have occasional good years but ehy will always be lacking.

May be harder for NDSU to get into the tournament, but in the long run we want a stronger conference with a higher RPI. It's really the only chance to show we can move up if that opportunity ever presents itself.

Should be a fun conference slate this year with some really good games. My hope is next year when the new arena is done NDSU can continue the strength of their home court and make it a really intimidating place to play.

Facts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Summit Conference Future

Imagine if our home court was half as loud as the dome... It'd be a tough place to play!
    Go Bison.

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Last year was a bit of a down year for the conference, finished 21. But the Summit had been hitting that mid to upper teen spot the last couple years. This year I have been very pleased by the wins the conference has been picking up OOC. Right now the Summit is 21-13 against DI teams. Summit teams are beating the teams it should, (Teams ranked 200 and lower) and holding serve against teams between 26-200. Top 25 we are 0-3. The RPI has the Summit at 13. The season is early, and it will drop a bit, but unless the league falls apart, the drop shouldn't be too far. Ranking in the mid to upper teens this year is attainable.

Also, lol@Big Sky RPI is 30.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ogy/conference

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    Last year was a bit of a down year for the conference, finished 21. But the Summit had been hitting that mid to upper teen spot the last couple years. This year I have been very pleased by the wins the conference has been picking up OOC. Right now the Summit is 21-13 against DI teams. Summit teams are beating the teams it should, (Teams ranked 200 and lower) and holding serve against teams between 26-200. Top 25 we are 0-3. The RPI has the Summit at 13. The season is early, and it will drop a bit, but unless the league falls apart, the drop shouldn't be too far. Ranking in the mid to upper teens this year is attainable.

Also, lol@Big Sky RPI is 30.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ogy/conference
    wasn't wisconsin ranked when western beat them?
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    wasn't wisconsin ranked when western beat them?
    I believe they were yes. If the Summit as a whole can keep getting some really good wins it will be interesting to see where the bid ends up ranked in March.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    I believe they were yes. If the Summit as a whole can keep getting some really good wins it will be interesting to see where the bid ends up ranked in March.
    Need to continue to schedule tough non conference teams and win those games league wide.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

The Summit is looking to be much improved as a league from last year. It may even end up rivaling 2013-2014 in terms of overall conference performance. If anything it should mean that the conference champ gets better than a 15 seed in the big dance this year (as long as it's not a low seed that wins the conference tournament).

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The Summit is looking pretty good this year, we only have 1 team below .500 and we have 5 1-loss teams along with IPFW at 6-2, Western Illinois knocked off a ranked Wisconsin team, SDSU beat TCU, we took down Montana and there have been some other solid wins against decent mid-major competition. That Illinois game really would have helped us as well but we still have 2 chances to really boost our own RPI with games at Iowa St and also down the line a very solid Utah State team. There's a lot of young talent in this league so as long as we can continue to schedule good OOC games and a few of our teams can get a couple of those wins each year we could position ourselves pretty well going forward. ORU being back definitely helps and teams like USD and Omaha improving each year could lead us to being a very quality mid-major conference. I don't know that we'll ever get to the multiple bid status unless we have 2 teams get some very solid OOC wins and win 25+ games but we should get our conference champ to that 12-13 line in the tournament instead of a 14-15 if we keep it up.

I always thought NDSU should look to the MAC, MWC or Missouri Valley.

The Summit spans from Indiana to Colorado and from ND to Oklahoma.

Join the Missouri Valley - you upgrade the basketball and other programs slightly and you don't affect the football program whatsoever.
    Join the MAC - The furthest west program is in Illinois, so logistically no one may want this to happen but you take all non-football sports up another notch and join FBS for football (think big!).
    Join the MWC - Now puts NDSU on the far eastern part of the conference - but now you are in a multi-bid bball league, a football conference that is just below the Power 5 conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by wcb_sas View Post
    I always thought NDSU should look to the MAC, MWC or Missouri Valley.

The Summit spans from Indiana to Colorado and from ND to Oklahoma.

Join the Missouri Valley - you upgrade the basketball and other programs slightly and you don't affect the football program whatsoever.
    Join the MAC - The furthest west program is in Illinois, so logistically no one may want this to happen but you take all non-football sports up another notch and join FBS for football (think big!).
    Join the MWC - Now puts NDSU on the far eastern part of the conference - but now you are in a multi-bid bball league, a football conference that is just below the Power 5 conferences.
    MVC isn't happening and I wouldn't want to be in with those privates with their noses in the air and anti FB agenda. Both the MAC and MWC are too far away to make logistical sense but if one came calling it would have to be considered. I'd rather see a new FBS conference formed with NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, UM, MSU, UNI, Missouri State, maybe the Idaho schools.