Thread: 2015-2016 Redshirts

Default 2015-2016 Redshirts

Rather than post in other threads or create a new thread for each open tourney, I figured I'd keep all of my redshirt postings in here. I think if we were to make our best lineup right now, it would include 3 redshirts: Fogarty, Nielson, and Eaton. That is encouraging to an extent for the future, but could make for a long dual season. Some notes I've been wanting to get out:

133 is an interesting weight. Nico Colunga intrigues me a lot at 133. He's a Californian, very long and lanky and has had some solid matches. He's been a bit inconsistent, but I'm very excited to see how he progresses with Manny and Garnett teaching him up. The win over Blake Bosch is very good. Needs to get stronger. David Flynn has been very solid too at 133 and beat Bosch as well. I don't know how difficult it is for him to maintain his weight, but if he could make 125 down the line, I could see him being a god fit there. I see him as slightly better than Colunga right now, but he looks very polished and I just get the sense Colunga has more room for improvement. Landeros is a JC transfer and has beaten quality SDSU backup Ben Gillette this year.

Nick Mergen doesn't have a great record, but he's shown some good things. I'll be interested to see his progress through the year. He could be a key backup the next couple years in the middle and could spend a couple years in the lineup a few years down the road.

Fogarty looks like the real deal at 157. The one area where I could see him standing to improve is strength, which is very understandable. If he could add a bit of strength and maintain 157, look out. He looks like a 4 year starter.

Nielson has been up and down thus far at 174, but he's shown me more than any other 174 so far. I'll be honest, I didn't expect a ton from him when he signed, so I've been happy to be proven wrong here. Hopefully he continues to improve. Harrington has been solid at 174 as well. He let his temper get away from him Saturday, but having a coach in his corner probably would solve that. It happens. Of the guys on the roster one of these two probably is the best candidate to replace Zillmer. They both may wind up long term starters.

Eaton looks like the best 197 we have to me. He initiates more offense than Paxton and they have split on the year. Paxton appears a great deal stronger, but an offseason of focus on strength could have Eaton looking pretty formidable. I think he has a great chance to start at 197 next year.

At HWT, Stibral is the best of the freshman bunch right now, and that is what was expected. He moves well at times and can shoot well. Needs to get better on bottom and get lighter/better movement on his feet. Feola and Hagen are the wild cards here. If they can add a lot of strength while maintaining there speed and agility, they could take the HWT of the future role from Stibral.

On the whole, the class is looking likely to produce a bunch of multi year starters. The ceiling of those guys remains to be seen, but I'm coming around a bit more the more I see. The strength coach could make this class even better this offseason.

Default Re: 2015-2016 Redshirts

Now to keep them here. Year in and year out, this team is always "young".

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post
    Now to keep them here. Year in and year out, this team is always "young".
    Perhaps I am reading your post wrong but to me this implies that you think NDSU has an issue with retention of wrestlers. Your post got me thinking so I went back starting from the 2011-12 Rosters of both NDSU and the UM to see how the Roster Turnover compares between the two schools year over year. All I simply did was to look at a Roster of one year and compare it to the following year's roster to see who was retained and who had left the respective program.

The Following is a Breakdown of each school:

2011-12

NDSU Lost 7 Underclassman from the 2011-12 team to the 2012-13 team & Lost an Additional 2 Seniors
    Alex*Andel Fr. Valley City, N.D.
    Curtis*Berger Fr. Hermiston, Ore.
    Hudson*Buck Fr. Vacaville, Calif.
    Michael*Wilde RFr. Grand Rapids, Minn.
    Tyler*Wells Jr. Kalispell, Mont.
    Will*Johnson Jr. Hibbing, Minn.
    Brent*Rees Fr. Vacaville, Calif.
    Justin*Solberg Sr. Wahpeton, N.D.
    Tyler*Johnson Sr. Bismarck, N.D.

U of M Lost 6 Underclassman from the 2011-12 team to the 2012-13 team & Lost an Additional 5 Seniors
    Beard, Brenton FR Liberty Lake, WA (Home Schooled)
    Bruner, Nate RS FR Apple Valley, Minn. (Apple Valley HS)
    Deitchler, Jake RS SO Anoka, Minn. (Anoka HS)
    Line, Torrey RS JR Browerville, Minn. (Browerville HS)
    Reiter, Bart RS SO Gilbertville, Iowa (Don Bosco HS)
    Stepan, Zach FR Zimmerman, Minn. (Zimmerman HS)
    Grygelko, Joe RS SR Greenfield, Minn. (St. Michael-Albertville HS)
    Peterson, Brian RS SR Richmond, Mich. (Richmond HS)
    Sanders, Zach RS SR Wabasha, Minn. (Wabasha-Kellogg HS)
    Yohn, Sonny RS SR Alamosa, Colo. (Alamosa HS)
    Zilverberg, David RS SR Wayzata, Minn. (Wayzata HS)

2012-13
    NDSU Lost 10 Underclassman from the 2012-13 team to the 2013-14 team & Lost an Additional 7 Seniors
    John*Gusewelle So. Osakis, Minn.
    Tanner*Carlisle RFr. Prior Lake, Minn.
    Colt*Castlebury Fr. Douglass, Kan.
    Phil*Levine Jr. Inver Grove Heights, Minn.
    Caleb*Meide Fr. Wahpeton, N.D.
    Kody*Sorenson RFr. Perham, Minn.
    Travis*Kammerer RFr. Chisago, Minn.
    Dallen*Brauer Fr. Forsyth, Mont.
    Grant*Dullinger Fr. St. Joseph, Minn.
    Kameron*Hamley RFr. Belcourt, N.D.
    Mac*Stoll Sr. Dent, Minn.
    Kallen*Kleinschmidt Sr. Helena, Mont.
    Paul*Johnson Sr. Rochester, Minn.
    Tyler*Diamond Sr. Oroville, Calif.
    Mark*Erickson Sr. Roseau, Minn.
    Joe*Garner Sr. San Leandro, Calif.
    Trent*Sprenkle Sr. Billings, Mont.

U of M Lost 6 Underclassman from the 2012-13 team to the 2013-14 team & Lost an Additional 3 Seniors
    Bauman, Joel RS SO Kerkhoven, Minn. (Kerkhoven-Mudock HS)
    Bigelbach, Brandon RS SO Vadnais Heights, Minn. (Mounds View HS)
    Donar, Jarod FR Cuba City, Wis. (Cuba City HS)
    Nelson, Tony RS JR Cambridge, Minn. (Cambridge-Isanti HS)
    Phillips, Cody FR Liberty, Ind. (Union County HS)
    Richard, Wesley RS JR Dillingham, Alaska (Dillingham HS)
    Antczak, Thane RS SR Prairie Farm, Wis. (Prairie Farm HS)
    Mincey, Matt RS SR Apple Valley, Minn. (Apple Valley HS)
    Yohn, Cody RS SR Alamosa, Colo. (Alamosa HS)

2013-14
    NDSU Lost 12 Underclassman from the 2013-14 team to the 2014-15 team & Lost an Additional 3 Seniors
    Tanner*Carlisle So. Prior Lake, Minn.
    Joe*Carpenter Fr. Moorhead, Minn.
    Colt*Castlebury RFr. Douglass, Kan.
    John*Gusewelle Jr. Osakis, Minn.
    Adrien*Henderson Fr. Trotwood, Ohio
    Preston*Lehmann Fr. Fargo, N.D.
    Tyler*Lehmann RFr. Fargo, N.D.
    Andrew*Napieraj Fr. Oak Park, Mich.
    Nick*Olejnik Fr. Wildwood, Mo.
    Anthony*Rodriguez So. Guadalupe, Calif.
    Tyler*Weyer Fr. Baldwin, Wis.
    Devin*Wolf RFr. Mounds View, Minn.
    Justin*LaValle Sr. West Fargo, N.D.
    Steven*Monk Sr. Wausau, Wis.

U of M Lost 10 Underclassman from the 2013-14 team to the 2014-15 team & Lost an Additional 5 Seniors
    Hanson, Randy RS JR Bethel, Alaska (Bethel Regional HS)
    Hodowanic, Corey RS JR Cornell, Wis. (Cornell HS)
    Keogh, Steven RS SO Apple Valley, Minn. (Apple Valley HS)
    Morrow, Tony RS SO Kasson, Minn. (Kasson-Mantorville HS)
    Nayes, Levi SO Bloomer, Wisc. (Bloomer High School)
    Ortiz, Alec RS JR Grand Ronde, Ore. (Newberg HS)
    Prentice, Riley RS FR Tumwater, Wash. (Tumwater HS)
    Preskitt, Judson FR Forney, Texas (Wyoming Seminary)
    Reel, Dylan RS FR Washington, Ill. (Washington HS)
    Volp, Jonathan RS SO Maple Grove, Minn. (Osseo HS)
    Giaimo, Tom SR Appleton, Wis. (Appleton North HS)
    Nelson, Tony RS SR Cambridge, Minn. (Cambridge-Isanti HS)
    Steinhaus, Kevin RS SR Pennock, Minn. (Kerkhoven-Murdock-Sunburg HS)
    Thorn, David RS SR St. Michael, Minn. (St. Michael-Albertville HS)
    Zilverberg, Danny RS SR Wayzata, Minn. (Wayzata HS)

2014-15
    NDSU Lost 12 Underclassman from the 2014-15 team to the 2015-16 team & Lost an Additional 2 Seniors & 1 Due to Injuries
    Anthony*Caputo Jr. Red Lake Falls, Minn.
    Clay*Cathey So. Billings, Mont.
    Trevour*Chavez RFr. Bethel, Alaska
    Kade*Johnson Fr. Bemidji, Minn.
    Steven*Keogh RSo. Thief River Falls, Minn.
    Tirso*Lara RFr. Imperial, Calif.
    Tommy*Petersen RFr. Lakeville, Minn.
    Cole*Sladek RFr. St. Michael, Minn.
    Collin*Sohn Fr. Plymouth, Minn.
    Alex*Stuhl Fr. Prescott, Wis.
    Mark*Voss Fr. Monticello, Minn.
    Hunter*Weber So. Marshall, Wis.
    Matthew*Gray So. Twin Lakes, Wis. (Injury)
    Kurtis*Julson Sr. Inver Grove Heights, Minn.
    Evan*Knutson Sr. Wausau, Wis.

U of M Lost 2 Underclassman from the 2014-15 team to the 2015-16 team & Lost an Additional 8 Seniors
    Daugherty, Alex JR Monaca, Pa. (Central Valley HS)
    Zeman, Zane SO Avon, Ohio (Avon HS)
    Dardanes, Chris SR Chicago, Ill. (Oak Park River Forest HS)
    Dardanes, Nick SR Chicago, Ill. (Oak Park River Forest HS)
    Lange, Seth SR Sturgis, S.D. (Sturgis HS)
    Ness, Dylan SR Bloomington, Minn. (John F. Kennedy HS)
    Rangell, Conrad SR Clovis, Calif. (Fresno City College)
    Schiller, Scott SR West Fargo, N.D. (West Fargo HS)
    Smith, Pat SR Chaska, Minn. (Chaska HS)
    Storley, Logan SR Roslyn, S.D. (Webster HS)

With the exception of the last year listed the schools are relatively close in the their turnover rates of Underclassman. I did not take into consideration (with the exception of Matt Gray) as to why any given wrestler left a particular school. I tried to find some data as to the average roster turnover for any school at any level but I could not find anything. I did take a straw pole of a few college coaches that I know and it seems that they're average number of underclassman to leave any given program each year seems to be around the 8-10 range

NDSU Lost 10 Underclassman from the 2012-13 team to the 2013-14 team & Lost an Additional 7 Seniors
    John*Gusewelle So. Osakis, Minn.
    Tanner*Carlisle RFr. Prior Lake, Minn.
    Colt*Castlebury Fr. Douglass, Kan.
    Phil*Levine Jr. Inver Grove Heights, Minn.
    Caleb*Meide Fr. Wahpeton, N.D.
    Kody*Sorenson RFr. Perham, Minn.
    Travis*Kammerer RFr. Chisago, Minn.
    Dallen*Brauer Fr. Forsyth, Mont.
    Grant*Dullinger Fr. St. Joseph, Minn.
    Kameron*Hamley RFr. Belcourt, N.D.
    [B]Mac*Stoll Sr. Dent, Minn.
    Kallen*Kleinschmidt Sr. Helena, Mont.
    Paul*Johnson Sr. Rochester, Minn.
    Mark*Erickson Sr. Roseau, Minn.
    Joe*Garner Sr. San Leandro, Calif.
    Trent*Sprenkle Sr. Billings, Mont

At the risk of getting off topic, this is my 2nd favorite senior class of all time, behind only the 2002 class. Diamond was the JUCO transfer who was steady and didn't flash anything all that great and he came oh so close to NCAAs his senior year. Kleinschmidt was another JUCO guy and he started out really slow at NDSU and really came on at the end of his senior year and nearly made NCAAs. Sprenkle becoming NDSU's 1st D1 AA since the transition by knocking off 3x AA and 2x Champ Matt McDonough in Iowa was probably my favorite wrestling moment ever. When they were coming out of HS, if you would have told me Mark Erickson or Mac Stoll would be in any colleges starting lineup, let alone NDSU, consistently, I wouldn't have believed you. I've never seen a kid come as far as Stoll did. He was a multi time NCAA qualifier and even won while there. Erickson was solid too. Joe Garner was still probably my favorite of the bunch. I loved going to watch just to see him do something spectacular. His athleticism was mind boggling and even though he never had sustained success, I loved watching him.

And the 02 class? 3x D2 champ Todd Fuller (and co owner of Herd and Horns and 3x gear), HWT national champ Nick Severson (who unretired from wrestling and made the 2012 olympic trials), and my all time favorite Bison Chris Rufo. He had a judo background and begged guys to shoot on him. He would stand straight up and offer a leg for his opponent to take. He sat on the bench for 4 years before he got his spot and wound up beating 2 time D1 national champ Damian Hahn and eventually took 4th at NCAAs after some injuries. Did I mention he came from Hawaii to NDSU?!?! Most interesting wrestler I can remember.

Fogarty is 22-4 on the year, with losses to top 20 ranked Bryce Steiert of UNI (by 1 point), Iowa State's starter Renauldo Rodriguez Spencer (he's split with him this year), and Minnesota's Brandon Kingsley (in and out of top 20), and Larry Early by 1. His best win is probably a win over Collin Holler of SDSU.

Eaton had a bad Midlands, but is still 14-5. Doesn't have a signature win, but has beaten Paxton and Caleb Ward of SDSU.

Harrington had a bad Midlands too, and is just 12-11 now after a decent start.

Nielson is 10-6(5) depending on how you count the injury default. Best wins are vs Darius Wright of MN and Zac Carlson SDSU.

Stibral went 0-2 at Midlands too, and is just 12-11. No real signature win yet.

Mergen is 11-10 and best wins are probably vs Colton Laganierre (formerly SDSU) and Lucas Eastman SDSU.

Flynn is 13-9 and his best wins are vs Gresh Jones of MN and Blake Bosch MSUM (Returning AA and ranked #2 in D2 at 133)

Colunga had his RS pulled and is 12-11 and his best win is probably also vs Blake Bosch MSUM.

Fogarty won the North Country Open at 165 yesterday. I would love to see him at the National Collegiate Open, but understand that is a lot of money to ask a young man or their family to pay for a tournament.

Colunga is no longer a RS, but he notched an impressive win today over Drake Foster in the dual. He is still bad on the bottom, but I'm still excited about his future.

Eaton won the North Country Open as well. He still looks like the starter at 197 next year.