Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Bracketology....Selection Sunday a Week Away...

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bracketology....Selection Sunday a Week Away...

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    Be funny if UN_ doesn't get in because they insisted on playing us and got beat. They probably could have found another D1 cupcake like Drake. This should teach those idiots to be careful what they wish for, they just absolutely absolutely had to play us.
    Exactly! It's not good strategy to play top teams when it comes to playoff's. 8 wins for them would be a lock even if it was over Valpo, but a loss to NDSU could eliminate them.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I actually didn't realize using the latest GPI and crossing out all the Ivy league schools and schools with no chance at 6 wins even or probably won't get in even if they hit 6, like USD, WSU, or YSU that un_ is as close to the bubble as they are at 42. It will be interesting how big a hit programs in traditionally weak conferences will take even though they are ranked ahead of un_. The OVC might end up with 3 schools with 7 wins and all are above un_. The CAA with 5 teams still in the running all higher. If SHSU beats Central Arkansas, you have to think they are both in. Eventually there just enough room.

There are a lot of dominoes that have to fall for un_ to get in with just one being a win by them. It will require a weekend like a couple of weeks ago being even more destructive. If the final SRS is anywhere near the GPI, then un_ will be out because the selection committee held to the SRS almost down the line last season.
    No they didn't. UNH was 6th in the SRS yet was the 1 seed. CCU was 3rd in the SRS yet was the 7 seed. Idaho St was left out even though they were higher in the SRS than at least 6 at large teams. SFA got an at large with an SRS behind a bunch of teams that were left out. I think the selection committee realized the SRS was garbage (pretty sure it had EIU in front of NDSU going into the 2013 postseason) and put very little stock into it last year. Maybe they tweaked the formula so it'll be better this year but they refuse to release it until after the selection process is over so who knows.

Last year's final SRS is still up on the NCAA site here if you want to take a look at how bad it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    No they didn't. UNH was 6th in the SRS yet was the 1 seed. CCU was 3rd in the SRS yet was the 7 seed. Idaho St was left out even though they were higher in the SRS than at least 6 at large teams. SFA got an at large with an SRS behind multiple teams that were left out. I think the selection committee realized the SRS was garbage (pretty sure it had EIU in front of NDSU going into the 2013 postseason) and put very little stick into it last year. Maybe they tweaked the formula so it'll be better this year but they refuse to release it until after the selection process is over so who knows.

Last year's final SRS is still up on the NCAA site here if you want to take a look at how bad it was.
    Other than the seeding, 22 of the top 24 minus the ivys and less than 6 win teams fell in line. Montana st and sfa got in and idaho state and Bethune-Cookman left out. It doesn't get much more in line than that unless you swap those four teams out. The top 8 were the top 8, just the committee placed them in a different order. So please tell me again how far off I am. When a selection walks down a line for 22/24 they have followed a system pretty closely. That doesn't bode well for un_.

Until this year, you could figure the srs out because their formula is listed in the rule book. So you didn't have to wait if you didn't want to and they don't cook the numbers because they were right there. This year we just don't know the weight if a couple of variables.

Other than the seeding, 22 of the top 24 minus the ivys and less than 6 win teams fell in line. Montana st and sfa got in and idaho state and Bethune-Cookman left out. It doesn't get much more in line than that unless you swap those four teams out. The top 8 were the top 8, just the committee placed them in a different order. So please tell me again how far off I am. When a selection walks down a line for 22/24 they have followed a system pretty closely. That doesn't bode well for un_.

Until this year, you could figure the srs out because their formula is listed in the rule book. So you didn't have to wait if you didn't want to and they don't cook the numbers because they were right there. This year we just don't know the weight if a couple of variables.
    Bryant and Bucknell were also in that group of teams with 7+ D1 wins that were ahead of SFA (Bryant was even in front of Montana St) but left out. BCU also wasn't given an at large even though they were higher than SFA, Montana St, and Richmond. The SRS is pure garbage, no other way to say it. They even had 2 Pioneer League teams in the top 31. The committee proved last year that it is, at best, just a part of what they look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Bryant and Bucknell were also in that group of teams with 7+ D1 wins that were ahead of SFA (Bryant was even in front of Montana St) but left out. BCU also wasn't given an at large even though they were higher than SFA, Montana St, and Richmond. The SRS is pure garbage, no other way to say it. They even had 2 Pioneer League teams in the top 31. The committee proved last year that it is, at best, just a part of what they look at.
    I don't disagree it is garbage but it is obvious they have been using it and when 22/24 fall in line, it is more than a minor tool.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

You can't figure out the SRS, even the old one, without a healthy amount of computing power. The rules are there, sure, but you need to balance a huge matrix of equations because every teams SOS is the average of all their opponents SRS.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

The formula might get it right with 22/24 but when you have the "human" element putting the #6 team over the #1 team, that is what is worrisome.

is the selection show on sunday morning again espnU ?

Quote Originally Posted by bisoninloveland View Post
    is the selection show on sunday morning again espnU ?
    On at 10:00 but I cannot remember which espn channel. I have my dvr set but did not pay attention to which channel.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    On at 10:00 but I cannot remember which espn channel. I have my dvr set but did not pay attention to which channel.
    ESPN U Channel 208 DirecTV