Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The power of athletics - MIZZOU

Default Re: The power of athletics - MIZZOU

Is the long shadow Michael Jordan cast over all of sports when it comes to social issues finally on the wane?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

The president made $459,000 last year and the football coach made $2,700,000. Which one do you think has more power on campus?
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

I was very confused by what was going on at Mizzou and then I read an article by a white student at Mizzou explaining how this president has done nothing but pissing off every group imaginable at the school and this latest non-action on the racist activity on campus was the tipping point. For example, he pissed off the journalism school by making cuts to its programs and he pissed off the graduate students by cutting health care subsidies to said group all the while pushing enhancements to the football facilities to the tune of tens of millions of dollars. He's an ex-IBM exec who's treated the student body as employees he could cut instead of customers that could get him fired.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I was very confused by what was going on at Mizzou and then I read an article by a white student at Mizzou explaining how this president has done nothing but pissing off every group imaginable at the school and this latest non-action on the racist activity on campus was the tipping point. For example, he pissed off the journalism school by making cuts to its programs and he pissed off the graduate students by cutting health care subsidies to said group all the while pushing enhancements to the football facilities to the tune of tens of millions of dollars. He's an ex-IBM exec who's treated the student body as employees he could cut instead of customers that could get him fired.
    The complaints aren't about those things. It all started when a student heard someone shout "the N word" at him. He never saw the person to identify them. He sent a letter to the president and didn't get a response. He then started a hunger strike in which the football team got involved and supported. Then someone reported an incident where a someone yelled "the N word" at a student, off campus, again they couldn't identify the person. Then there was an incident where a white student went up to a group of 12 black students and shouted "the N word." All of these incidents are unproven. But even if they are, what the hell is the president supposed to do about it?! If someone yells something at you and you can't identify them, especially if it is off campus; what really can be done? And isn't there still freedom of speech on college campuses? Look, I am not saying that if these things indeed happened that it is right, but how does this fall on the president's lap. Sure, you could have sensitivity and diversity training but that is usually just window dressing. College campuses, and young adults today are so sheltered and seem to be offended by everything and see injustice where it often doesn't exist.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    The complaints aren't about those things. It all started when a student heard someone shout "the N word" at him. He never saw the person to identify them. He sent a letter to the president and didn't get a response. He then started a hunger strike in which the football team got involved and supported. Then someone reported an incident where a someone yelled "the N word" at a student, off campus, again they couldn't identify the person. Then there was an incident where a white student went up to a group of 12 black students and shouted "the N word." All of these incidents are unproven. But even if they are, what the hell is the president supposed to do about it?! If someone yells something at you and you can't identify them, especially if it is off campus; what really can be done? And isn't there still freedom of speech on college campuses? Look, I am not saying that if these things indeed happened that it is right, but how does this fall on the president's lap. Sure, you could have sensitivity and diversity training but that is usually just window dressing. College campuses, and young adults today are so sheltered and seem to be offended by everything and see injustice where it often doesn't exist.
    Poor offended minority groups got their way. Other than the guy in charge moved on what changed? So now some control freak will take over with all sorts feel good moves for minorities. Likely more money and rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    This is trolling, right?

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    This is trolling, right?
    If it is trolling, then what are the facts? This is not a calling out, rather I just want to get the facts and then decide on the issues. Right now, I am leaning towards the entitlement attitude along with the usual finger pointing at white privilege (which is a major piss me off). Help me see the error of my ways by providing facts from a source with integrity.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

This is trolling, right?
    I haven't seen or heard anything different, at least involving race related incidents. Well this and that the presidents driver bumped students where were blocking his vehicles path(idiots who don't move for a vehicle deserve what happens).

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBisonRock View Post
    If it is trolling, then what are the facts? This is not a calling out, rather I just want to get the facts and then decide on the issues. Right now, I am leaning towards the entitlement attitude along with the usual finger pointing at white privilege (which is a major piss me off). Help me see the error of my ways by providing facts from a source with integrity.
    If you can't find sources you have any faith in, I'm not sure I can help you. Has any major news outlet not covered this? It's on the front page of the St. Cloud Times.

If you can't find sources you have any faith in, I'm not sure I can help you. Has any major news outlet not covered this? It's on the front page of the St. Cloud Times.
    OK, then he wasn't trolling. Thanks.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin