Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Board moved to LB

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Chris Board moved to LB

Chris Board is a very physical player and has tremendous athletic ability! He is a playmaker for sure....BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

how come it took Bison Defense to figure out that he is NOT a safety due to his limited ability in coverage skills---not saying he can't get better but better in box

What POSITION does he play now at LB----Mike, Will, or Sam? I'd guess SAM due to his size and strength but maybe MIKE.

Anyways the learning curve at LB in the Cover 2 is steep, I doubt he sees field this year at LB

not to mention the guys currently on depth chart; current b/u----WLB---rFR Levi Jordheim, but maybe he also used at DE in passing downs

SLB---rFR Dan Marlette who has done a great job on specials----MLB rSO Matt Plank who is behind our best LB, and possibley our best Defensive player in DeLuca

I guess I hope Chris Board buys into the position change that will allow him to be more successful but just wonder why took so long

THOUGHTS???

Default Re: Chris Board moved to LB

Board is a really strong and athletic player. He's kind of a cross between a linebacker and safety. His ability to play in space probably makes him a better linebacker than a safety. As far as speed goes, he's pretty average at safety but he's really fast at linebacker. Similar move like we did with Bo Liekus. My only concern is linebacker is a mentally tough position so it's not like it can be picked up over night and we may not see him much until next year.

Looking at numbers, it makes sense to put at linebacker. We have too many bodies at safety and not enough at linebacker.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I'd say the reason why it took so long was lack of depth and quality play at safety all around earlier in the season and not just from Board. Before the Indiana St game Dempsey wasn't really standing out and Grimsley looked very "freshman-ish" early in the year. Indiana St seemed to be Dempsey's coming out party and if he can recover from the concussion he sustained he's solid at FS. Grimsley I thought played an excellent game yesterday. He was playing fast and flying up to the LOS in support of the run defense while being solid but unspectacular in pass defense, which is exactly what you need out of a SS. I think Grimsley's emergence more than anything is what is driving this change.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'd say the reason why it took so long was lack of depth and quality play at safety all around earlier in the season and not just from Board. Before the Indiana St game Dempsey wasn't really standing out and Grimsley looked very "freshman-ish" early in the year. Indiana St seemed to be Dempsey's coming out party and if he can recover from the concussion he sustained he's solid at FS. Grimsley I thought played an excellent game yesterday. He was playing fast and flying up to the LOS in support of the run defense while being solid but unspectacular in pass defense, which is exactly what you need out of a SS. I think Grimsley's emergence more than anything is what is driving this change.
    To my untrained eye, Wimbush played a really good game. Kid had 7 tackles. With Wimbush, Dempsey, Grimsley, and Smith, we have a good 2 deep and we have some good redshirt freshman for next year.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    To my untrained eye, Wimbush played a really good game. Kid had 7 tackles. With Wimbush, Dempsey, Grimsley, and Smith, we have a good 2 deep and we have some good redshirt freshman for next year.
    Wimbush needs to improve his angles to ball carrier/receiver.

Sent from my iPhone.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post

Sent from my iPhone.
    Which comes with more game reps I bet

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post

Sent from my iPhone.
    Yeah, I thought he really struggled defending those bubble screens. A couple times when they had stacked receivers on the bubble screen the OLB crashed inside and Wimbush was late getting out there. One of those was the 2nd TD to Jones that made it 21-19 where he was late and missed the tackle.

Default Chris Board moved to LB

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Which comes with more game reps I bet
    There is a lot of instinct and innate talent involved in pursuit/tackle angles. And a 1000 game reps wouldn't matter with some. Kinda like throwing to a WR in stride. You have it or you don't, or you can become serviceable. I don't know what Wimbush's situation is, but I know what I saw.

Sent from my iPhone.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

There is a lot of instinct and innate talent involved in pursuit/tackle angles. And a 1000 game reps wouldn't matter with some. Kinda like throwing to a WR in stride. You have it or you don't, or you can become serviceable. I don't know what Wimbush's situation is, but I know what I saw.

Sent from my iPhone.
    True - to an extent. I find it really hard to believe that Wimbush's lack of quality game reps had no effect on his angles of pursuit. You're right that some kids do just have that ability and they have a knack for getting to the football - case in point would be a guy like Heagle. However, to say that more reps at the speed of the college game isn't going to lead to improvement and he's stuck where he is because of the 3 quarters he played in his first meaningful minutes just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sent from my iPhone.
    For what it's worth, Wimbush was a very late signing in 2014, June or July I think. Not sure what that means but there could have been some questions about him. John might know. Regardless, he has climbed the charts as a RFr which I think supports my long time claim that the recruiting classes of 2011 and 2012, with their high attrition rates, are lacking in talent in several areas.