Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB -- Nick DeLuca

BisonTru is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: MLB -- Nick DeLuca

Smart move by Nick. NFL scouts don't know how bad an injury is effecting your play. What they will find out is how bad his shoulder is and if he needed surgery anyway. Fighting through this season and then doing surgery during the NFL draft process with all the unknowns with his shoulder could be devastating to his draft stock.

This route he can get his shoulder fixed, rehab, and then come back for a fully healthy senior season which is his most important audition for the NFL.

For NDSU its bittersweet. Hate to lose him for this season, but it will be nice to have him for next year. Another thing to note, is Nick (not sure on his academic progress) could look into going the graduate transfer route. I hope he doesn't go that direction, just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post
    Why are people even bringing this up?!! How many special things do people need to see at NDSU to realize things aren't the same as what everyone else does? This kid is putting his present health first, and then he's thinking about the team and the program. He's going to want to come back next year, healthier bigger and stronger, and try to win another national championship. The NFL comes later, and it's not later, it's now at NDSU.

Edit: Maybe I should settle down a bit, haha. I haven't seen an interview with Nick or Coach yet so I'm only spitballing. Sorry 98, just looking at it different is all.
    I'm just saying you never know how these things turn out. They don't always go as planned. I'm hoping everything goes great for Nick and he recovers fully whether or not he plays another down at NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Deluca played as a true freshman and played in <30% of our games this year. He is eligible to come back, no question.
    Jack Michaels is on the radio saying only 20%. Maybe he should read the correct rules. What I found was the same as coach 30% or 3 games whichever is greater.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    I heard this rumor on Saturday at the tailgate...Shoot!
    So did he want to play against Iowa then have the surgery? Just speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Jack Michaels is on the radio saying only 20%. Maybe he should read the correct rules. What I found was the same as coach 30% or 3 games whichever is greater.
    Why do even listen to that shit?

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Why do even listen to that shit?
    A Friend text me about it. I was listening to the presser on BISON1660
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    If there was that much risk, why did he play against EWU or Iowa?
    Because he's a team player and he knew that he could still play 3 games and get his medical RS. Klieman said it's a 4-6 month recovery time. If he was only looking out for himself he would've gotten the surgery right away so his chances of being healthy enough for the pre-draft stuff like the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine would be higher.

The fact that he played these last two games tells me this was a calculated move that's best for both DeLuca and for NDSU. If he would've tried to play through it maybe he goes the whole year without re-injuring it but then he still has to have this surgery that takes him out 4-6 months after the season. That would've been much more damaging to his NFL draft stock (while not nearly as good of a prospect see Cole Jirik for an example). Playing these last two games to help his team this year and, presumably, still allowing him to come back next year tells me that he cares just as much about helping NDSU as he does about helping his draft stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    He will need a hardship since he played the first 3 games.
    I think your terminology is incorrect. A true hardship is used to get a 6th year. That's where the 30% of the scheduled games and no games played in the 2nd half of the season comes in.

If he didn't red shirt, the request is to declare this a red shirt season. Is 3 games too much for that to be approved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    Maybe he got second opinions? Maybe there was no risk to further damage the joint but it would greatly delay the healing?
    I think (just my humble opinion) that this was the case all along after he first injured it. I've heard this before with shoulder injuries...no chance to injure it further so get the games in that you can, then get the surgery and take the med red shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by tojo70 View Post
    I think (just my humble opinion) that this was the case all along after he first injured it. I've heard this before with shoulder injuries...no chance to injure it further so get the games in that you can, then get the surgery and take the med red shirt.
    Right. So the decision is being made 100% based on the thoughts of the NFL and doing what is best for him.

You guys need to take off the Green and Gold glasses. He will not be back at NDSU next year. Get used to watching him in a Nebraska uniform next year.