Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: MLB -- Nick DeLuca

Default Re: MLB -- Nick DeLuca

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Nick is doing great at the 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone. He's a top performer at linebacker
    Your exactly right about Nick; he's doing fine! Couple with the fact he got talked up by Mike Mayock and Charles Johnson no need to worry. I've scouted 13 years now and I'm much more concerned with a players performance on tape; then combine numbers. Because combine drills aren't done on Sundays; playing games are! Anyone remember Tony Mandarich; enough said! Way to much emphasis on combine numbers. Nick had a good senior bowl week which was mentioned while competing with a lot of guys from FBS programs.

HerdistheWord is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Nick is doing great at the 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone. He's a top performer at linebacker
    Good to hear. Those drills are better indicators. He looked clubky when i saw him. I was hoping for a 4.7's 40 and about 20 reps based in what Nick had said early. He fell short there, but he obviously picked it up.

jarhead is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Haha, that's awesome. He was one of the faster QB's too.

jarhead is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The NFL and media spend millions of dollars every year dissecting these guys and it's still a crapshoot. The truth is still in the game tape and the game tape tells me Nick is as instinctive as
    any LB in this class. Instincts can trump analytics, especially at the reactive positions like LB.

Why don't they run the 40 and do agility drills in full pads to evaluate how fast they are on the field?
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Why don't they run the 40 and do agility drills in full pads to evaluate how fast they are on the field?
    I'm not a big fan of evaluating talent based on combine scores as compared to film.

You can check out this link to see the top combine performers in the 40 yard dash since 2006 (or any other test, year range and position combo): http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-perfo...-LB-CB-OL-SPEC

Looking through a lot of the top performers throughout the years, most are guys I don't remember making much of an impression at the pro-level. I think the key is to be better than average on these tests and have great work shown on film. I would also like to see how the Wonderlic test correlates to success in the NFL.
    Hail the BISON!!!

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I'm not a big fan of evaluating talent based on combine scores as compared to film.

You can check out this link to see the top combine performers in the 40 yard dash since 2006 (or any other test, year range and position combo): http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-perfo...-LB-CB-OL-SPEC

Looking through a lot of the top performers throughout the years, most are guys I don't remember making much of an impression at the pro-level. I think the key is to be better than average on these tests and have great work shown on film. I would also like to see how the Wonderlic test correlates to success in the NFL.
    I don't think too many decisions or least good decisions are made solely on combine efforts. They watch lots of film, the combine is a chance to watch them with some pressure to perform, get an idea of absolute athleticism and conduct the all important interview...also to take the Vince Young memorial Wunderlich test. In a case like DeLuca, how much film is there on him against top tier FBS talent week in and week out...

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Good teams use the combine to confirm what they think they see on film. Bad teams reach based on track numbers.