Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Return Rule Question

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Return Rule Question

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I like watching you guys try to explain and interpret rules. It's definitely an honest attempt.

On a free kick, the kicking team is team A and the receiving team is team B. Team A may not go out of bounds and return during the down unless blocked out and return immediately. Touching would only become a factor if he touches it while out of bounds or before touching in bounds. If a kicked ball touches the ground in the end zone untouched by B in the field of play it would be a touchback. If team B did touch it in the field of play (sounds like it based on this discussion) then it is still live if it touched the ground in the end zone. A is still responsible for it being there so B can recover and knee for a touchback. If B recovers in the field of play and carries it in the end zone where it becomes dead then you have a safety. The momentum exception to the safety rule though says if B recovers the kick inside the 5 and his original momentum carries him into the end zone where the ball becomes dead, then it is not a safety, but B gets the ball at the spot of recovery.

There are several different rules at play there as there are on several plays.
    It appears that you didnt see the play. Whats even funnier to me is your attempt to explain something that you didnt see.
    Ahhh referees.....

On a related note, I do give the networks credit for having rules officials available these days for NFL and major college games to help provide rules interpretations.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUSR View Post
    It appears that you didnt see the play. Whats even funnier to me is your attempt to explain something that you didnt see.
    Ahhh referees.....
    I think you got your answer. What don't you like about it?

I noticed the guy stepped out of bounds too, nobody said anything.

Maybe the B1G has the same pud rule the valley has where the home team selects if replay will be used or not

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUSR View Post
    Ahhh referees.....
    I was just explaining the rules around what you were discussing. I have no idea what happened in the actual play so I have no idea if they got it right or wrong.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    I noticed the guy stepped out of bounds too, nobody said anything.

Maybe the B1G has the same pud rule the valley has where the home team selects if replay will be used or not
    I don't think it matters if a member of the receiving team stepped out of bounds. See Hammersmith above

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I was just explaining the rules around what you were discussing. I have no idea what happened in the actual play so I have no idea if they got it right or wrong.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    The officials got it right; it was called a touchback. The announcers got part of it wrong(surprise). The announcers thought that even if it touched his fingers, it still would have been a dead ball once it entered the endzone. Heads up play by the returner to go after the ball in the endzone, though he probably should have just taken a knee once he had possession of the ball rather than running around with it. There was a better than even chance that the ball would have bounced out the back of the endzone before a kicking team player could have gotten to it, but why take the chance?

And I could be wrong about the touching since I didn't look that close on the replay, but why else would the return man go rushing after the ball if he didn't feel it touch his fingertips?

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    The officials got it right; it was called a touchback. The announcers got part of it wrong(surprise). The announcers thought that even if it touched his fingers, it still would have been a dead ball once it entered the endzone. Heads up play by the returner to go after the ball in the endzone, though he probably should have just taken a knee once he had possession of the ball rather than running around with it. There was a better than even chance that the ball would have bounced out the back of the endzone before a kicking team player could have gotten to it, but why take the chance?

And I could be wrong about the touching since I didn't look that close on the replay, but why else would the return man go rushing after the ball if he didn't feel it touch his fingertips?
    I get the fact this punt was muffed and went into the end zone. That point is pretty clear, if he falls on it, touchback, start at the twenty. But the Michigan player after the muff, went into the end zone, picked the ball up, made a lateral football move to avoid some would be tacklers in the end zone, advanced the ball inside of the end zone being tackled in the end zone.

Thus the question, does the attempt or making a football move (or multiple moves in this case) change the answer?

This aspect was not discussed with the referee analysis during the game.

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    I get the fact this punt was muffed and went into the end zone. That point is pretty clear, if he falls on it, touchback, start at the twenty. But the Michigan player after the muff, went into the end zone, picked the ball up, made a lateral football move to avoid some would be tacklers in the end zone, advanced the ball inside of the end zone being tackled in the end zone.

Thus the question, does the attempt or making a football move (or multiple moves in this case) change the answer?

This is my same question? The player ran with the ball trying to get out of the endzone and was tackled which I thought resulted in a safety. If he takes a knee then fine.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post

Unless he runs out of the end zone and then returns, it doesn't matter if he takes an immediate knee or runs around before being tackled or taking a knee. The kick was still the impetus that put the ball in the end zone. Impetus is the key rule that determines safety/touchdown/touchback.