Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stieg on the way out?

moosbah is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Stieg on the way out?

Okay, I know it's a ridiculous statement, as the Jacks have been a good team since Richard Dryfus, err... Stieg took over in hobo town, but I really have to question how much longer they will put up with some of the stupid crap he does. Here's an example If you watched the UNI game from this past weekend, the Jacks were down by a field goal with just over a minute left and had 4th and 1(ish) on UNI's 10 yard line. Rather than kick the field goal, he decides to run the ball up the gut and UNI blows up the play and the Jacks lose the ball on downs, and subsequently piss away the game. Keep in mind, UNI had bottled up the Jacks all day long on the run and the Jacks were having at least a little luck with the pass late in the game. It's not like the Jacks hadn't won a game all year and needed to be reckless to get a win. They needed this win badly and their D had been playing well all day.

Just food for thought.
    Sioux SUCK! It just has a nice ring to it.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

Default Re: Stieg on the way out?

Stieg ain't going anywhere. I think he made the right call. Momentum was on their side and they had a chance to win the game. When you can't move the ball, you take your chances. Odds of missing a high pressure field goal is probably in the same ballpark as gaining a whole yard and even if they make it, there was still some time on the clock. It was over 2 minutes if I remember

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

That was a 4th and 1 play. If they can't get one yard, they don't deserve the win. I couldn't imagine kicking the field goal in that situation. Not saying the play call was correct, but imo going for it was the right call.

I had to laugh at SDSU getting a sideline penalty. Stig needs to stay off the field!

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    That was a 4th and 1 play. If they can't get one yard, they don't deserve the win. I couldn't imagine kicking the field goal in that situation. Not saying the play call was correct, but imo going for it was the right call.

I had to laugh at SDSU getting a sideline penalty. Stig needs to stay off the field!
    I have to wonder how many sideline warnings they have had this year. I work sidelines for college and it is honestly like babysitting with coaches...some are good, but some are absolutely horrible and you have to constantly be reminding them and their players.

I'm just curious what is going on with their QB situation and why all the sudden they are struggling to put up points.

I did say the same thing to Mayville Bison this weekend though. I think he has to be starting to get a shorter leash, although as long as they make the playoffs and beat whatever little sisters of the poor team they get in the first round it should be a bonus. But I can't imagine it would be easy without much of a running game and trying to throw the ball the Saturday after thanksgiving in Brookings.

moosbah is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    I have to wonder how many sideline warnings they have had this year. I work sidelines for college and it is honestly like babysitting with coaches...some are good, but some are absolutely horrible and you have to constantly be reminding them and their players.

I'm just curious what is going on with their QB situation and why all the sudden they are struggling to put up points.

I did say the same thing to Mayville Bison this weekend though. I think he has to be starting to get a shorter leash, although as long as they make the playoffs and beat whatever little sisters of the poor team they get in the first round it should be a bonus. But I can't imagine it would be easy without much of a running game and trying to throw the ball the Saturday after thanksgiving in Brookings.
    I don't disagree that going for it on 4th and 1 is something that most teams would do, but the game going as it was, I just thought is was more risky than the chip shot field goal from 17 yards out.
    Sioux SUCK! It just has a nice ring to it.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

HerdBoy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't think Stieg is going anywhere. He's a SDSU graduate and SD boy. They have won 9 games the past 3 years. 4th and 1 and they don't make it? I don't think that was his fault even though when they lined up in that formation everyone in Brookings County knew what they were gonna do. Why not throw it to one of those big tall recievers or use Wieneke as bait.

0% chance he goes anywhere anytime soon unless they lose 10+ straight or something crazy. He's by far the best coach in school history. He does more with less than just about anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by moosbah View Post
    Okay, I know it's a ridiculous statement, as the Jacks have been a good team since Richard Dryfus, err... Stieg took over in hobo town, but I really have to question how much longer they will put up with some of the stupid crap he does. Here's an example If you watched the UNI game from this past weekend, the Jacks were down by a field goal with just over a minute left and had 4th and 1(ish) on UNI's 10 yard line. Rather than kick the field goal, he decides to run the ball up the gut and UNI blows up the play and the Jacks lose the ball on downs, and subsequently piss away the game. Keep in mind, UNI had bottled up the Jacks all day long on the run and the Jacks were having at least a little luck with the pass late in the game. It's not like the Jacks hadn't won a game all year and needed to be reckless to get a win. They needed this win badly and their D had been playing well all day.

Just food for thought.
    Looks like he has been reading Farley most recent book on strategic play calling in the red zone.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

It is skipping my mind who said it (I want to say Bohl), but I remember hearing a quote on what a certain coach would do in these situations. "If you're at home, you play to tie. If you're on the road, you play to win." Which makes perfect sense to me. As the home team, you should have home field advantage. The crowd should be on your side as well as momentum considering in this situation you came from behind to tie. And it makes sense to go for the win on the road for the reverse of previous reasons. Go ahead, hold and get the hell out of town.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

The Jacks were at home. This is an easy decision. You kick the FG to tie the game up and push it into OT. You now have momentum as you came back to tie it up and you have the home crowd on your side. I know, I know, if you can't get a yard...I'm saying you take the points to extend the game at home. On the road I would consider it, greater than 50/50, going for the 1st and eventually the TD to end the game in regulation.