Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colleges with the craziest waterparks

Default Re: Colleges with the craziest waterparks

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    There is nothing even closely related to recreation on the level of a waterpark like in the video at NDSU. Even if there was, it would be student fee funded and voted on by the student body. It would be their choice. That being said, the wellness center was tastefully completed with the emphasis on wellness, fitness, and health which are key components to the education experience. There have been many studies linking a correlation between academic performance and physical fitness, so providing students a physical fitness center fit an academic profile. They pay for it and it is their choice to use it. An ancillary factor in all of this is the amenity offered is a selling point to potential students. There is still the business side to higher education where recruiting students is part of the process. What sets one institution apart from another? NDSU has done an excellent job setting itself apart on the academic side but still is competing with peer institutions. There are other factors it needs to distance itself from those with similar academic qualities. It is amazing what some of the finer points potential students use to separate their choices. Fitness centers, food, parking, campus size, dorms, classroom size, and many other factors go in their decision making matrix in the end. I would be willing to bet those institutions with the fancy water park like recreation structures are saying those facilities were good investments. The bottom line is money has to be spent to set an institution apart from their peers and it isn't education money, it is student fees which were decided upon by the students. While they might receive encouragement from the academic institution themselves, education dollars are not being spent. Even if it was, it should be viewed as an investment towards recruiting potential students which is necessary to further promote the academic agenda.
    I always wonder with certain studies...and this would be another example... Is it that students get better grades because they are fit, or is it that people who work hard are likely to go to the gym and also work hard at school. I wonder if that can be, or is, taken into account in these studies.

No disagreement though, if the students want to build these things, more power to them.
    College of Business Alumnus

I've been to the one at Ohio State. It was geared towards children. Maybe a 50/50 split. There was a lap pool and a whirlpool but they also had a great waterpark for kids and younger adults. They sponsored swimming lessons for our kids and there was open play for them as well. My kids loved it.

Many students are also parents who need some family recreation as well.

Link to NDSU's aquatic addition:

https://www.ndsu.edu/wellness/aquatic_addition/

533 In a row

533 In a row

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    If students can afford to spend that kind of money on recreation, they aren't paying enough out of pocket for education. At least, that would be my opinion if I were a state lawmaker.

It's rather ridiculous for schools to compete on amenities. That is beyond their foundational purpose, and just goes to show how misplaced priorities are in today's society.

When I attended NDSU we had a few weights in the dorm and access to the BSA. And guess what, we were a heck of a lot healthier overall than today's students. As I have said, I'm all for health and fitness. But that doesn't require millions of dollars to be spent on health clubs and recreation. I can get more out of a pair of running shoes and a few bodyweight exercises than what 95% of the people at the Wellness Center are getting.

/old man rant
    Just curious, do you feel the same way about collegiate sports?

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    If students can afford to spend that kind of money on recreation, they aren't paying enough out of pocket for education. At least, that would be my opinion if I were a state lawmaker.

It's rather ridiculous for schools to compete on amenities. That is beyond their foundational purpose, and just goes to show how misplaced priorities are in today's society.

When I attended NDSU we had a few weights in the dorm and access to the BSA. And guess what, we were a heck of a lot healthier overall than today's students. As I have said, I'm all for health and fitness. But that doesn't require millions of dollars to be spent on health clubs and recreation. I can get more out of a pair of running shoes and a few bodyweight exercises than what 95% of the people at the Wellness Center are getting.

/old man rant

Obviously you havent been on campus for a very long time.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."