Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NDSU Recruits

Default Re: 2016 NDSU Recruits

I forgot about him, but Nick Knutson is also in the semi finals in MN.

I've been watching the MN tournament quite a bit and there are several guys that I think are worthwhile targets. (Bold means I think there is a decent chance we get them)

For the 2016-2017 season (HS seniors this year):
    Victor Gliva 113, Farmington
    Noah Becker 120, LPGR
    Tom Stageberg 132, NLS (Brother is ranked top 5 in D3 for Concordia)
    Manny Garcia 220, BOLD

For the 2017-2018 season (HS juniors this year):
    Brent Jones 126, Shakopee
    Alex Crowe 132, Shakopee

Jake Allar 152, STMA
    Brandon Moen 195, Owatonna
    Tucker Sjomeling 126, Delano
    Jared Florell 170, Totino Grace
    Alex Erpelding 160, Staples Motley
    Alex Goergen 195, Caledonia (His brother is a D2 national champ at HWT for SCSU)

Of both the groups, really only Allar may be out of reach. Manny Garcia moves really well for a guy his size, but I'm not sure he can add much to his frame, but he looks like a full 220. Goergen is a bit smaller than his brother, but is athletic and his brother Austin's success and growth in college makes me intrigued about Alex possibly still growing and getting better. The Shakopee kids and Sjomeling would be GREAT gets, while most of the rest would be quality depth IMO.

Actual NDSU commits:
    Spray took 5th in WI.
    Smith and Bianchi will both wrestle for 1st in WI later today.
    Knutson will wrestle for 3rd in MN.
    Jonah Lange will wrestle Alex Goergen (a Jr who has REALLY impressed me thus for in the tourney) later for the MN title.

Guys I'd like NDSU to look at, that were mentioned above:
    Crowe, Florell, and Becker will all wrestle for 3rd. Everyone else is in their respective championship matches.

It was nice to see Lange pin his way through the tournament.

Paul Bianchi won a state title and Nathan Smith wound up as the runner up in WI. I noticed that there is another Bianchi from the same school, a 9th grader, and was the runner up at 106; falling in overtime. Might want to keep an eye on him too.

Top 100 Pound4Pound High School wrestlers in Minnesota at https://twitter.com/minnesota_mat

Quote Originally Posted by AmberValley View Post
    Top 100 Pound4Pound High School wrestlers in Minnesota at https://twitter.com/minnesota_mat
    There are so many kids on the list from Apple Valley, STMA, and Kasson-Mantorville. It would be nice to start getting a few of these kids, and to keep getting them from Simley.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    There are so many kids on the list from Apple Valley, STMA, and Kasson-Mantorville. It would be nice to start getting a few of these kids, and to keep getting them from Simley.
    STMA and Kasson-Mantorville, maybe. Apple Valley, no way. For as great as a high school team Apple Valley is nationwide, they don't produce too many productive Division I collegiate wrestlers (NDSU did get quite a few productive Apple Valley wrestlers during the Division II era, especially Mike Langlais). I believe Matt Demaray (son of Bucky's First All-American, Bill Demaray) is the only Apple Valley wrestler to win a NCAA Division I Championship (1991 and 1992). Since then, the only Apple Valley wrestlers to win AA status are Charle Falck (twice) and Chad Erickson (twice). On a side note, Mike Langlais was a Division I AA for NDSU. Will be interesting to see how Mark Hall pans out for Penn State. I'm predicting him to be at least a three-time AA with two national championships.

Not to be too negative about Apple Valley, but I believe part of this issue with their wrestlers at the Division I level is that they peak skill-wise in high-school and can't excel at the higher level where they are no longer men wrestling among boys.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    STMA and Kasson-Mantorville, maybe. Apple Valley, no way. For as great as a high school team Apple Valley is nationwide, they don't produce too many productive Division I collegiate wrestlers (NDSU did get quite a few productive Apple Valley wrestlers during the Division II era, especially Mike Langlais). I believe Matt Demaray (son of Bucky's First All-American, Bill Demaray) is the only Apple Valley wrestler to win a NCAA Division I Championship (1991 and 1992). Since then, the only Apple Valley wrestlers to win AA status are Charle Falck (twice) and Chad Erickson (twice). On a side note, Mike Langlais was a Division I AA for NDSU. Will be interesting to see how Mark Hall pans out for Penn State. I'm predicting him to be at least a three-time AA with two national championships.

Not to be too negative about Apple Valley, but I believe part of this issue with their wrestlers at the Division I level is that they peak skill-wise in high-school and can't excel at the higher level where they are no longer men wrestling among boys.
    Hopefully SDSU will have an Apple Valley All-American next year in Seth Gross. Lost in the blood round this year as a freshman. Defeated Wyo's Meredith at the Big 12's and wrestled very well with Heil from OK ST. as well - both finalists this year. It will be interesting to see how Seth develops over the next three years if all goes well in Brookings.
    Jackrabbit1979 - Bringing delusional Bison fans back down to earth since 2004.

2016 IA State Champ and 4X state place winner Colton Clingenpeel has committed to NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator Dad View Post
    2016 IA State Champ and 4X state place winner Colton Clingenpeel has committed to NDSU

Pretty good stats on his TrackWrestling profile: http://www.trackwrestling2.com/tw/me...?twId=48809009

Also placed in Fargo twice.
    Hail the BISON!!!