Thread: Poor MAC Attandance Could Improve MVFC

Default Poor MAC Attandance Could Improve MVFC

I read an article saying many of the schools in the MAC don't meet the minimum average attendance required by the FBS and could get the boot. Even if they aren't forced out, administration may decide to drop to the FCS because their programs are hemorrhaging money.
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ship-leave-fcs

This could be great for the MVFC as smaller schools that offer great competition look for a new home.

Indiana State and Western Ill. have no business in a full scholarship FCS conference. Indiana St. could maintain a DI basketball program and cut football program costs by moving to the Pioneer Conference (currently at 10 teams) with no scholarships. Western Ill. can barely pay they their power bill. WIU should drop to DII conference Great Lakes Valley Conference (currently at 8 teams). Missouri St. and Southern Ill. could cut travel costs and be more competitive if they moved to the Ohio Valley (currently at 9 teams).

Team.......................2018 Ave Attend........New Conference
    Missouri St................7405........................Ohio Valley FCS
    Southern Ill...............6557........................Ohio Valley FCS
    Indiana St.................5657........................Pio neer FCS
    Western Ill................3179........................Gre at Lakes Valley DII

The MAC currently has (12) teams split into an East and West division. If (4) teams dropped to FCS, the MAC divisions would be combined. Northern Ill., Ball St., Central Mich and Miami-OH would all be great additions to the MVFC. Northern Ill. especially would bring the talent level up in the conference. If the MVFC wanted to bring the team count to an even 12, Grand Valley St. from DII would be a great fit.

Team.......................2018 Ave Attend.......Previous Conference
    NDSU.......................18106
    UND.........................9336
    SDSU.......................10178
    USD.........................9420
    UNI..........................9337
    Northern Ill...............10404......................MAC FBS
    Illinois St..................9260
    Grand Valley St.........11039......................Division II
    Ball St......................10288..................... .MAC FBS
    Central Mich..............12840......................MAC FBS
    Miami-OH.................14253......................MAC FBS
    Youngstown St...........11554

Kent St. and W. Kentucky are other schools that are a little farther away that could still be a good fit for the MFVC.

Team.......................2018 Ave Attend.......Current Conference
    Kent St....................13118......................M AC
    W. Kentucky.............14231......................Co nf USA East

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Poor MAC Attandance Could Improve MVFC

ISUb and MoState would drop football before moving their basketball programs to the Ohio Valley.

Current MAC schools HATE YSU and see them the way we see UMary.

MAC schools agreeing to be in a conference with Grand Valley?????? Lol.

An all sports conference that included NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Illinois State, and Northern Illinois would be awesome. Northern Illinois despite their recent struggles is a legit football school that would make for an awesome rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    ISUb and MoState would drop football before moving their basketball programs to the Ohio Valley.

Current MAC schools HATE YSU and see them the way we see UMary.

MAC schools agreeing to be in a conference with Grand Valley?????? Lol.

An all sports conference that included NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Illinois State, and Northern Illinois would be awesome. Northern Illinois despite their recent struggles is a legit football school that would make for an awesome rivalry.
    I peruse the MAC board once in a while. Despite all of these woes, the fans over there still see any FCS addition, no matter the quality, to be a net negative. Plus, they only seem interested in looking east, where there is already football saturation. I would love for the the good MAC teams, including NIU (where I got my masters), to blow that popsicle stand and create a conference with the teams you suggest. The good teams in the MAC better start thinking a little outside of the box, or the conference will be such a dumpster fire, they won't be able to call up anybody and they'll go the way of the WAC.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I peruse the MAC board once in a while. Despite all of these woes, the fans over there still see any FCS addition, no matter the quality, to be a net negative. Plus, they only seem interested in looking east, where there is already football saturation. I would love for the the good MAC teams, including NIU (where I got my masters), to blow that popsicle stand and create a conference with the teams you suggest. The good teams in the MAC better start thinking a little outside of the box, or the conference will be such a dumpster fire, they won't be able to call up anybody and they'll go the way of the WAC.
    I'm fine with the MAC being a dumpster fire. It gives NDSU/SDSU a recruiting advantage over those schools. Being able to play for a championship in front of similar or better crowds with a good path the NFL are some pretty strong selling points to recruits.

taper is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I wish the NCAA would either enforce its rules or change them. Very much dislike this looking the other way on attendance rules. By rule most of the conference is ineligible for FBS. The FCS is the best place for a big chunk of the G5, they just don't want to admit it. When the TV contract gets renegotiated in after 2025 they might not have a choice on keeping up with costs.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    I wish the NCAA would either enforce its rules or change them. Very much dislike this looking the other way on attendance rules. By rule most of the conference is ineligible for FBS. The FCS is the best place for a big chunk of the G5, they just don't want to admit it. When the TV contract gets renegotiated in after 2025 they might not have a choice on keeping up with costs.
    P5 will not allow the G5 to keep taking "their" money, guaranteed, that's even if there is a NCAA as we know it by then
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

If or maybe more likely, when, the P5 schools split off football from the NCAA to create their own bowl series or whatever they choose to do and they stay at 5 then I would expect the current G5 teams to be against any other conferences moving up to "steal" the bowl game scraps left over. We would basically be in the same situation.

However, if the P5 added MWC and AAC, which isn't THAT crazy, it would leave C-USA, MAC, and Sun Belt plus a couple independents left in the NCAA's bowl division. In that case I could see a push for more teams or conferences to join the NCAA's bowl division (versus the P7 bowls or whatever they do). I doubt they would combine the remaining conferences plus the FCS conferences into a single division.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Bison View Post
    If or maybe more likely, when, the P5 schools split off football from the NCAA to create their own bowl series or whatever they choose to do and they stay at 5 then I would expect the current G5 teams to be against any other conferences moving up to "steal" the bowl game scraps left over. We would basically be in the same situation.

However, if the P5 added MWC and AAC, which isn't THAT crazy, it would leave C-USA, MAC, and Sun Belt plus a couple independents left in the NCAA's bowl division. In that case I could see a push for more teams or conferences to join the NCAA's bowl division (versus the P7 bowls or whatever they do). I doubt they would combine the remaining conferences plus the FCS conferences into a single division.
    I think the concept is the G5 leftovers would concede some money costing things that current P5 is using to keep teams at FCS level from watering down FBS too much, but not all, so in that sense only "top" FCS teams would consider joining them. Defining top here would be tough to do. It would be P5s in their own world. G5+30-40 FCS teams (not sure there is any conference that could make the jump as a whole so it could really shake up the conference picture IMO). The remaining FCS would still stay the same although likely they get some movement from D-II teams...