Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: MVFC Expansion

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: MVFC Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I applaud your effort to answer the question. I do not agree with pretty much any of your points.

1. The rivalry was toxic...better to not have it.
    2. Year round discussion has slowed this year? Please. That might be your saddest point...just nothin'.
    3. If UND is successful it will make NDSU work harder? This one is just silly. So if we lose to UND it must be real good for us.
    4. More media attention. This would most likely be beneficial...but I don't want to sell the Forum short...they can find ways to turn it against NDSU.
    5. Raise money and save money? Not sure if this will help raise money...but will that money saved in travel costs offset having another conference member recruiting from 70 miles away? Does their recruiting effect change by switching conferences? My guess is yes.

So, I disagree with everything but maybe one...but I do appreciate the response.
    Yeah, I agree with that. The nicest fans thing that Hammersmith posted in the Testify thread? Part of the reason is there are no more toxic rivalries.

Bison sell out every game. We don't need the rivalry anymore, that's just a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    It returns the rivalry, it helps the year round discussion of Bison Football as the talk has slowed this year. If UND become successful, NDSU has work to stay at the top which is good for the program. More media attention because of the annual UNd/Bison game will generate more attention. It will help raise money, it will help save money.

The fact that people are upset about something 15 years, get over it. NDSU has moved on and become more successful. Talk, media attention, its all good.

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I applaud your effort to answer the question. I do not agree with pretty much any of your points.

1. The rivalry was toxic...better to not have it.
    2. Year round discussion has slowed this year? Please. That might be your saddest point...just nothin'.
    3. If UND is successful it will make NDSU work harder? This one is just silly. So if we lose to UND it must be real good for us.
    4. More media attention. This would most likely be beneficial...but I don't want to sell the Forum short...they can find ways to turn it against NDSU.
    5. Raise money and save money? Not sure if this will help raise money...but will that money saved in travel costs offset having another conference member recruiting from 70 miles away? Does their recruiting effect change by switching conferences? My guess is yes.

So, I disagree with everything but maybe one...but I do appreciate the response.
    The main problem I have with the "media attention" angle is that the media attention is not the kind NDSU wants. What was the media attention on last time NDSU and UND played? Seems to me it was focused on the possibility of offensive t-shirts, possible tailgating mayhem, how NDSU was the bad actor in the No Rivalry drama, and the extra police presence put in front of the student section. Was there one positive thing about NDSU because I'm not remembering it? UND sure got a lot of love though.

It's a great move for UND - a no-brainer, in fact.

For NDSU, the major plus is that we won't have to hear the whining about how NDSU killed the rivalry. The downside is that it brings more instability to the conference, not less. Cripes, a lot of the original Gateway Conference schools were none to happy about bringing in NDSU - and UND is nowhere near as good an addition as NDSU (or SDSU.) It's like a more out of way USD.

UND in the Summit though is good though.

There is absolutely no upside to adding UND to the MVFC. NONE!

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    It returns the rivalry, it helps the year round discussion of Bison Football as the talk has slowed this year. If UND become successful, NDSU has work to stay at the top which is good for the program. More media attention because of the annual UNd/Bison game will generate more attention. It will help raise money, it will help save money.

The fact that people are upset about something 15 years, get over it. NDSU has moved on and become more successful. Talk, media attention, its all good.
    NDSU is doing fine in all categories you mentioned already, playing UND yearly does absolutely nothing to "help" NDSU, zero, zip
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    NDSU is doing fine in all categories you mentioned already, playing UND yearly does absolutely nothing to "help" NDSU, zero, zip
    But a UND fan told us it was the best for NDSU. UND and/or their fans would never mislead us. Right? Right? Right?

Right?

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

If we need those clowns up North as motivation to work hard to stay on top we are in deep trouble.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Absolutely agree with you. NDSU does not need UND, and they have proved just how successful they can be. UND could say a similar thing when they lost their rivalry with the Gophers for several years in hockey. It didn't impact our success or team performance; though far difference circumstances than what NDSU had to deal with during their D1 transition.

But, for some (not all) fans, it still brings back an enjoyable rivalry. I know some have found it toxic, and unfortunately that is probably because their are some fans from each fan base that make it that way. I know the folks I tailgate with when I am in Fargo have been asking when this was going to happen, and look forward to it.

So NO, NDSU does not need UND to improve in any way shape or form, and has proved their success in football and basketball, in particular. But it does add an element of interest to a good portion of people within the region, and alumni. Not everyone obviously, clearly there are a good portion of people both for and against this. It'll be interesting to see how this all develops over the next several year.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

So Michigan, playing Michigan State does not generate attention? Auburn Alabama isn't good for Alabama? UND and NDSU game week last year had a lot more focus on a non conference home game then I can remember.

Media attention. I think the pendulum has turned and NDSU gets a fair shake in the media today. It isn't just driven by Forum and WDAY as in years past.

As for year round attention. This discussion and the discussion on 1660 yesterday proves the point. NDSU and the topics discussed to the nth degree really aren't that interesting right now. UND and NDSU has a passion to it. That quickly is evident.

And strong competition only makes you better whether its in sports or business.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    The main problem I have with the "media attention" angle is that the media attention is not the kind NDSU wants. What was the media attention on last time NDSU and UND played? Seems to me it was focused on the possibility of offensive t-shirts, possible tailgating mayhem, how NDSU was the bad actor in the No Rivalry drama, and the extra police presence put in front of the student section. Was there one positive thing about NDSU because I'm not remembering it? UND sure got a lot of love though.

It's a great move for UND - a no-brainer, in fact.

For NDSU, the major plus is that we won't have to hear the whining about how NDSU killed the rivalry. The downside is that it brings more instability to the conference, not less. Cripes, a lot of the original Gateway Conference schools were none to happy about bringing in NDSU - and UND is nowhere near as good an addition as NDSU (or SDSU.) It's like a more out of way USD.

UND in the Summit though is good though.
    I maintain UND killed the rivalry. By the time UND was willing to restart it, NDSU was already in a position of success where they absolutely did not need to schedule us. And given how things went down with UND not scheduling NDSU, there was certainly no additional incentive or motivation for NDSU to need to put UND on the schedule.

Playing 2 away games wasn't the best deal for UND, but I'm glad Bubba made it happen. I know a lot of people don't care about the match up, but with so much family that are Bison fans, I really enjoy having NDSU on the schedule, and look forward to seeing it happen on a regular basis.

Love it or hate it, it looks like its going to happen. So, I look forward to see some of you at tailgating. Also, pulling for you guys to win the Summit. At this point it has zero impact on UND, and it would be cool to see 2 Dakota schools in the tourney.