Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What would it take to average a 19,000+ sellout??

Default What would it take to average a 19,000+ sellout??

I'm wondering what it would take for us to accomplish what Montana is doing, and that is selling out every single game, and also acheiving a goal of at least 12,000 season tickets sold. I know that last season (14,160) was our best average attendance ever that wasn't using shady Dacotah Field counting techniques, and we already have a season ticket base of almost 6,500 (last time I heard).

I think it comes down to two main things: Take advantage of TV, and make the games more of an event.

I seriously think that if NDSU is able to get a TV contract where all road games would be televised, then the marketing people could bring out the message of something like, "You won't have to miss a SINGLE Bison game this year!! All home games are at the Fargodome, and all road games are on KVRR FOX 15!! Get your tickets now!!" This could be a great way to get the casual fans more interested in attending the games, because they can watch the road games on TV too. People in the majority in this city are people who are able to go to home games, but aren't as fiscally endowed as some very few (rich) people, and can't afford to splurge on a hotel, airfare and a rental car every other weekend to follow the team. Plus, they probably don't have the time either. What could be better than tuning into FOX and watching the Bison play at Southern Utah or UC Davis on a Saturday October afternoon, and then going to the Dakota Marker game the following week at the Fargodome?? I know there are quite a few people who have some casual interest in the Bison, but don't even go to most home games, because they can't follow their road games anyway. This makes them feel kind of hopeless in that regard.

Also, make the game more of an event. I know a couple games last year had a live band, and there's always the good tailgating and a radio station van parked by the lobby, and also the inflateable kids fun area. Maybe one way to enhance would be to have contest giveaways during tailgating. Maybe make the West parking lot an "official" adult fun zone, like the Backyard ifor SDSU in Brookings. Call it something like "The Zeroeth Quarter", or "The Tailgate Range", something like that. Maybe have Q98 have one of their wacky DJ's broadcast live from the game and interact with the fans. That's what they do at a lot of I-A schools.

Anyway, I think we're well on our way of reaching this goal. I think if we do some things right, it may take us no longer than a few years to accomplish it. Whaddya think??
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Default Re: What would it take to average a 19,000+ sellou

1. Playing in a meaningful game (title implications/ rivalry...see sue)

2. Beer

Bison_Dan Guest

That's easy - just WIN baby, have a couple of playoff games here and we'll have sell outs.

As my brother-in law says (Asst. AD at Iowa State)......winning cures everything!

BisonMav Guest

Georgia Southern and Montana St coming to the dome next year will help.

Need to promote!!!

I find it surprising that projected low attendence game for '06 is the Cal Poly game. Wow! This should be essentially two Nationally recognized powerhouses battling for the GWFC title. Why do you feel that wouldn't get the crowd there for the game?

What is the School/Boosters doing to make this game a sell-out? I'd look to distribute tickets to all HS FB programs within 100 miles so these students can appreciate quality highest play-off College football. I haven't checked, but does that "other" ND school play that day in GF? If not, invite them down very deliberately to emphasize the quality of D-I ball. Heck, they'd be the Poly backers (Anyone but the Bison right? ;D)

The emphasis is to pack the place, preferably with paying customers.

Go Bison, earn your #1 vote(s)!

Quote Originally Posted by rabidrabbit
    Need to promote!!!

I find it surprising that projected low attendence game for '06 is the Cal Poly game. *Wow! *This should be essentially two Nationally recognized powerhouses battling for the GWFC title. *Why do you feel that wouldn't get the crowd there for the game?

What is the School/Boosters doing to make this game a sell-out? *I'd look to distribute tickets to all HS FB programs within 100 miles so these students can appreciate quality highest play-off College football. *I haven't checked, but does that "other" ND school play that day in GF? *If not, invite them down very deliberately to emphasize the quality of D-I ball. *Heck, they'd be the Poly backers * (Anyone but the Bison right? *;D) *

The emphasis is to pack the place, preferably with paying customers.

Go Bison, earn your #1 vote(s)!
    I agree with Rabid......the Poly game is really a marquis DI-AA match up. It is a game that would look great on TV....

Quote Originally Posted by Gil Dobie
    Georgia Southern and Montana St coming to the dome next year will help.
    These two will be great.... to those that follow I-AA football. But these shouldn't generate the excitement to FINALLY get a TOP 5 I-AA team, for the conference championship, and beat the team that seems to keep NDSU in teens ratings rather than higher. PACK THAT POLY GAME!!!

broke_back_mnt Guest

I think we are already on track. The big games this year are Rockys Return, SDSU and Poly. If NDSU is on a roll Cal Poly will be packed. After this season we should be averaging close to 16,000/game. The Keys:

1) Winning
    2) Not letting up on the promotions.

Both have been mentioned and I agree.

mikelsch Guest

Winning and quality competition is all you need

Fargo doesn't buy into mediocore teams, and will only show up modestly when playing subpar opponents (exception - Valpo game)