Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Happened to Our Defense at Montana

Default Re: What Happened to Our Defense at Montana

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    ''They were kind of double-checking themselves during the play. Know this, boom go, react. But they were double-checking themselves and creating some hesitation. For the most part, they did a good job knowing what to do and then doing it. They just need to do it at a faster pace and a higher level.'' (Jim Harbaugh - Michigan coach)

I wonder if this doesn't describe a little bit of our defense's problem against MT...something that will improve with each game. I don't think we lack athleticism.
    No that wasnt the problem.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    The defense allowed 92 plays and gave up 38 points and made Stitt look like a genius. Montana won the One on one match ups consistently and that concerns me about talent we put on the field. The defense was gassed and nonexistent at the end of the game. The depth was obviously not there. The pass defense looked slow and confused most of the game but I'm not sure if that was bad scheming or just slow players.

The fact that Cal Poly held Montana's offense in check indicates that the Grizzlies are not the offensive juggernaut that we were thinking. The Bison just played poorly.

Regardless of how much people say the Bison will have to rely on the offense this year there is no way we will win consistently without a good defense. The next two games are critical in getting this defense up to speed for a brutal conference schedule.

The number of plays is irrelevant, the results of the plays is. Montana ran exactly the same number of plays against cal-poly as they did against NDSU. But they threw 3int and lost 1 fumble. They had almost 400 yards passing and just over 100 yards rushing. They were 0-3 on 4th down tries. Yardage they were about the same as NDSU game. Turnover margin (+3) and 4th down stops helped calpoly win it, by 1 point.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    The number of plays is irrelevant, the results of the plays is. Montana ran exactly the same number of plays against cal-poly as they did against NDSU. But they threw 3int and lost 1 fumble. They had almost 400 yards passing and just over 100 yards rushing. They were 0-3 on 4th down tries. Yardage they were about the same as NDSU game. Turnover margin (+3) and 4th down stops helped calpoly win it, by 1 point.
    A good defense probably wouldn't allow all those plays. I don't think the 2013 Bison defense would let them even sniff 20 points or 90 plays. Probably would have been a lot of really fast paced 3 and outs

Is there another game this weekend?
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    A good defense probably wouldn't allow all those plays. I don't think the 2013 Bison defense would let them even sniff 20 points or 90 plays. Probably would have been a lot of really fast paced 3 and outs
    Yes but the 2013 defense had a ton of experience. Look what EWU did to our 2010 defense

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Yes but the 2013 defense had a ton of experience. Look what EWU did to our 2010 defense

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Yes the experience factor is huge. It alone can be the difference between a mediocre and excellent defense. The 2010 had some inexperienced players but was also missing key players from the championship defenses. I am very curious as to how our current personnel as well as guys redshirting stack up vs the 2010 & 13 defenses

NDSU versus Northern Iowa last year had many similarities to NDSU versus Montana this year. Worth re watching.

In my opinion, way too much passing on 1st or 2nd down in the 1st half lead to reduced ability to run down throat in second half/4th quarter. (Even though probably could have run enough to win if called.)

The team has been talented enough to win despite this seemingly minor change in philosophy.

#DynastyMode Bison football seems to maintain a unique team approach. Don't blame any one segment (offense, defense, or special teams) because the philosophy understands that one component significantly impacts the other.

Recruiting guys (from the region) who will play for NDSU, not at NDSU.

Successfully running the ball between the tackles, behind a pulling guard early and often. Even if it is not resultant in early touchdowns. Short passing game, play action, some LIMITED trickery to keep defense honest.

Punt the ball for field position and Make reasonable field goals. Don't give up the big special teams play. Take pride and earn your spot here.

Defense, keep the game in reasonable distance and allow for an opportunity to win/control the clock by running the ball. Stay aggressive when prevent becomes attractive on third or late in game, and take the turnover late.

Now rematch Kansas state.

People like this brand of football. That is why Gameday came. Not because NDSU won at k-state. It was because they BEAT k-state, and didn't change the way they played for anything, despite being the "little guys".

:rant over:

Quote Originally Posted by I miss Chubs View Post
    NDSU versus Northern Iowa last year had many similarities to NDSU versus Montana this year. Worth re watching.

In my opinion, way too much passing on 1st or 2nd down in the 1st half lead to reduced ability to run down throat in second half/4th quarter. (Even though probably could have run enough to win if called.)

The team has been talented enough to win despite this seemingly minor change in philosophy.

#DynastyMode Bison football seems to maintain a unique team approach. Don't blame any one segment (offense, defense, or special teams) because the philosophy understands that one component significantly impacts the other.

Recruiting guys (from the region) who will play for NDSU, not at NDSU.

Successfully running the ball between the tackles, behind a pulling guard early and often. Even if it is not resultant in early touchdowns. Short passing game, play action, some LIMITED trickery to keep defense honest.

Punt the ball for field position and Make reasonable field goals. Don't give up the big special teams play. Take pride and earn your spot here.

Defense, keep the game in reasonable distance and allow for an opportunity to win/control the clock by running the ball. Stay aggressive when prevent becomes attractive on third or late in game, and take the turnover late.

Now rematch Kansas state.

People like this brand of football. That is why Gameday came. Not because NDSU won at k-state. It was because they BEAT k-state, and didn't change the way they played for anything, despite being the "little guys".

:rant over:
    I would add because CW could not hit a long pass and could not throw the damn ball after being hurt (which was the case at UNI) Both MT and UNI defenses were essentially left to defend the run and short pass game. Because the Ds did not have to honor the long pass and or hard slant throws they both fronted the receivers and sold out on the run game. Pretty hard to win when the D does not have to play honest. Ds will not play Honest until CW beats them with the long ball or on slants. CW missed all of his deep throws (even prior to being hurt) and could not drive thee ball after being hurt. (obviously this does not even take into consideration the option game that is available with a healthy CW as QB, but the option game was again off the table for both games due to injury).

Now if the coaches would have called a power run game like i think they should have or least would have in the 3rd and 4th qrts (3 yards and a cloud of dust). None of the above should have mattered. We should have been able to pummel their d line into the ground. That's the Coaches call and obviously they did not think it would work or we could execute it or whatever. We shall this this Saturday!

On D game, they were in position to pick some passes. Yes, MT receivers made some great catches, but we played timid. I think it was more of an experience thing compounded by 90 plus plays of consistent action.

.......they didn't show up.

Thanks Mak, I argue though it was due to too much pass early in game on early downs.

Possibly help keep Carson healthy with more runs. Brock had difficulty with the deep ball also.

Couldn't run late because they didn't run early. Lost the game in the 1st half. Wore the d late because didn't run early etc.