Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Bohl effect fading?

Scooter1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Is the Bohl effect fading?

Quote Originally Posted by mnriverbison View Post
    Yeah, so are we saying the D's on-field success was Klieman but the retention issues of players in those years were on Bohl? Got it.
    You would have a point if there was a mass exodus of players when bohl left...there wasn't. Conversely, on paper we seem to be winning more recruiting battles against more fbs schools. Klieman seems to have a pretty solid reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter1 View Post
    Is the Bohl effect fading?
    The way I see it is we have 1decent cornerback that wasn't a Klieman recruit and he wasn't playing. Champion is a good run support corner but was exposed. Tucker, DeLuca and Ambrosius should be sophomores. Since Ambrosius should really be a sophomore, where the hell are the junior and senior defensive ends?

Board - Sophomore
    A Smith - Junior
    CJ Smith SENIOR (out)
    Champion SENIOR (serviceable CB with good run support skills)
    DeLuca Junior (should be a sophomore)
    Tucker (Should be a sophomore)
    Stumpf (junior)
    Menard (Should be a R-Fr)
    Ambrosius (Should be a Sophomore)
    Tanguay sophomore
    Schaetz (Senior)

So, you have Schaetz, (CJ Smith) Champion, Stumpf and Andrew Smith from the class of 2011 and 2012 starting with Farnlof, Liekhus as your options for true upper classmen.

Bohl misses on defense for 2011 and 2012? Here they are. Lyle Norman DE, Joe Horvath DT, Josh Lisenby DT, Leighton Tallmadge DE, Chuks Amaechi DE, Brett Pierce DT, Dan Wood DE, Deshawn Dinwiddie LB, Nick scoliere LB, Alex LaVoy LB, Zach Roselle LB, Marcus Brantley S, Frank Veldman S, Darnell Miles FS,

The retention of recruits on defense for the 2011 and 2012. - SHITTY.

Juniors and Seniors should be the core of your defense. The truth is we don't have many left from the 2011 and 2012 BOHL recruiting classes to put out on the field. That sure as hell isn't Klieman's fault.
    Klieman has to go with youth because Bohls recruits for 2 years were an utter failure in terms of retention. We could add other names to the list like Brantley (who would have been way more experienced at safety) allowing Dempsey to stay at corner where we needed him. Safety Frank Veldman, LB Jacob Davis, WR Dee Gray, WR Carey Woods, LB Zack Riopelle, S Danell Miles, LB Nick Scoliere, LB/S Joey Sonenfield, TE Matt Miller, WR Andrew Okland, and the list goes on and on ...

So we end up starting young players earlier than we would like. Long term this is a good thing but short term it's a challenge.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter1 View Post
    You would have a point if there was a mass exodus of players when bohl left...there wasn't. Conversely, on paper we seem to be winning more recruiting battles against more fbs schools. Klieman seems to have a pretty solid reputation.
    Mine was a counter-point to the "all of Bohl's recruits are leaving and that is why our D sucks" narrative established in this thread. People want to hand the Bohl era's D success over to Klieman and at the same time hold Bohl to account for any retention issues the D may have had in that era. In other words, we want to believe that our success was due to the guy who we still have and that any issues we may have have left with guy who we no longer have. It's a very optimistic take to say the very least.

And I would argue that it is NDSU who has the solid rep at this point nationally, Klieman can build on it with on-field success or he can lose the momentum of the Bohl era. Obviously year 1 was good, but you try to wait to give a college coach 3-4 years to see how things go the more he has his own players. For me that's for better and worse. If he'd taken a train wreck over and year 1 was a bad season I'd say give him time, the same is true if in year 1 he continues the success of the previous regime. I wouldn't fire a rebuilding coach in year 1 and I wouldn't commission a statue for a caretaker coach after year 1 either. It kind of gets to what I'm saying, admitting that the Bohl effect is fading is not the same as saying Klieman won't have his own success. They can both be true.

Quote Originally Posted by mnriverbison View Post
    Mine was a counter-point to the "all of Bohl's recruits are leaving and that is why our D sucks" narrative established in this thread. People want to hand the Bohl era's D success over to Klieman and at the same time hold Bohl to account for any retention issues the D may have had in that era. In other words, we want to believe that our success was due to the guy who we still have and that any issues we may have have left with guy who we no longer have. It's a very optimistic take to say the very least.

And I would argue that it is NDSU who has the solid rep at this point nationally, Klieman can build on it with on-field success or he can lose the momentum of the Bohl era. Obviously year 1 was good, but you try to wait to give a college coach 3-4 years to see how things go the more he has his own players. For me that's for better and worse. If he'd taken a train wreck over and year 1 was a bad season I'd say give him time, the same is true if in year 1 he continues the success of the previous regime. I wouldn't fire a rebuilding coach in year 1 and I wouldn't commission a statue for a caretaker coach after year 1 either. It kind of gets to what I'm saying, admitting that the Bohl effect is fading is not the same as saying Klieman won't have his own success. They can both be true.
    If this staff learns from a game like we just had...I agree.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

BisonFan02 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Bohl has been quoted saying they "fucked up" recruiting during the first playoff run in 2010. Good news is that the Bison have gotten a lot of practice doing so the past championship runs.

Without a doubt.

We can hope that the Bohl effect is fading. He's not here. Klieman is the man.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

This thread is frickin stupid.

Coach K and his staff are very good.

The Bison lost in the toughest FCS venue with 2 seconds left with a very young team.

Bison lost.....it will happen. The season is just beginning.

This thread sucks!!

And Montana had all summer to prepare for NDSU. I still expect the Bison to be in the championship hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post
    This thread is frickin stupid.

Coach K and his staff are very good.

The Bison lost in the toughest FCS venue with 2 seconds left with a very young team.

Bison lost.....it will happen. The season is just beginning.

This thread sucks!!
    It's OK to not be OK.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    And Montana had all summer to prepare for NDSU. I still expect the Bison to be in the championship hunt.
    We had all summer as well. Pretty safe bet however that they knew a lot more about us than vice versa