Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ***** an espn instant classic production *****

Default Re: ***** an espn instant classic production *****

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I can't believe you said the field goal decision was dumb...it worked for them...and proved his genius. He kicked the field goal with confidence that his defense would get them the ball back...something we have done with success before. That call showed they were not panicking.
    I try not to judge decisions based on things that you can only know after the fact. Just because they won the game doesn't make kicking that field goal the right decision and it certainly doesn't prove anyone's genius.

The more I hear the chatter about 'confidence' and 'panick' and 'choke' and 'clutch' and yada, yada, yada, the less I like it. And I'm not talking about today or the last week or the last year, I'm talking about a slow evolution over a long time about how I think about athletics. Why do we act like these guys are so fragile or have such a surface understanding of how their sport works? They know better than any of us how the game works, what you can control and what you can't, and they're some of the most resilient people, physically and mentally, that you're ever going to meet. If your players are going to fold on you because you tried one field goal here or didn't try one there, then you aren't going to win very many football games, anyway.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I try not to judge decisions based on things that you can only know after the fact. Just because they won the game doesn't make kicking that field goal the right decision

Sometimes you have some really good insight...even if I don't agree with it. Right here, right now...that isn't one of those times.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

I can't believe you said the field goal decision was dumb...it worked for them...and proved his genius. He kicked the field goal with confidence that his defense would get them the ball back...something we have done with success before. That call showed they were not panicking.
    The Grizz D was holding the Bison O. So Stitt must have been confident with the decision. I wonder if Stitt is a statistical guru. Does it seem he runs on a formula?

Quote Originally Posted by A1pigskin View Post
    The Grizz D was holding the Bison O. So Stitt must have been confident with the decision. I wonder if Stitt is a statistical guru. Does it seem he runs on a formula?
    The ESPN guys stated several times he goes by his gut. Sure seemed like was wilder at the beginning of the game, and slowly got more conservative as the game went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    They do. For the coaches play calling and going for it on 4th and 4 from your own 40??? You better win Stitt or you will be gone sooner than later. He has tipped his hand to the rest of the teams they play. Don't be shocked if it does not workout since the cat is out of the bag. DII is way different from FCS.
    That is the way he has always coached and said he is bringing the same style to Montana. The fact that he punted those couple of times in similar situations is actually more surprising because he says he doesn't punt in 4th and short past his own 40.
    4th and 4 Montana 45 - incomplete pass (ensuing Bison drive was 3 and out)
    4th and 1 Montana 43 - incomplete pass (ensuing Bison drive was TD)
    4th and 2 Montana 43 - Punt (NDSU didn't know what he was doing and then Montana had the illegal formation)
    4th and 1 Montana 42 - Rush 2 yards converted 1st down (Gustafson threw INT a couple of plays later to DeLuca)
    4th and 4 Montana 38 - Punt (He says he only goes for after the 40, so this one is within his parameters)
    4th and 10 NDSU 44 - 31 yard pass on last drive (this one was most damaging conversion and there was no question he was going to go for it)

4 out of 5 times they went for it when they crossed their own 40 on 4th down. Only one was a no brainer. They converted 2 of them. That is two drives extended with converting first downs even though one ended with an INT the other with a TD. They gave up a TD after going for it once, so the short field helped the Bison. I am guessing he has figured out statistically it pays off in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    That is the way he has always coached and said he is bringing the same style to Montana. The fact that he punted those couple of times in similar situations is actually more surprising because he says he doesn't punt in 4th and short past his own 40.
    4th and 4 Montana 45 - incomplete pass (ensuing Bison drive was 3 and out)
    4th and 1 Montana 43 - incomplete pass (ensuing Bison drive was TD)
    4th and 2 Montana 43 - Punt (NDSU didn't know what he was doing and then Montana had the illegal formation)
    4th and 1 Montana 42 - Rush 2 yards converted 1st down (Gustafson threw INT a couple of plays later to DeLuca)
    4th and 4 Montana 38 - Punt (He says he only goes for after the 40, so this one is within his parameters)
    4th and 10 NDSU 44 - 31 yard pass on last drive (this one was most damaging conversion and there was no question he was going to go for it)

4 out of 5 times they went for it when they crossed their own 40 on 4th down. Only one was a no brainer. They converted 2 of them. That is two drives extended with converting first downs even though one ended with an INT the other with a TD. They gave up a TD after going for it once, so the short field helped the Bison. I am guessing he has figured out statistically it pays off in the long run.
    This is what bisonaudit and a few others have been talking about for a few years on here. The statistical data is out there to support Stitt's method.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

He does not go by his gut. He plays the numbers, something that presently passes as radical in the football world and even upsets some of the more old school people but like in almost everything else his way will out eventually.

moosbah is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by mnriverbison View Post
    He does not go by his gut. He plays the numbers, something that presently passes as radical in the football world and even upsets some of the more old school people but like in almost everything else his way will out eventually.
    He's essentially a sabermatrician.
    Sioux SUCK! It just has a nice ring to it.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

The ESPN guys stated several times he goes by his gut. Sure seemed like was wilder at the beginning of the game, and slowly got more conservative as the game went on.
    I'd question how much gut is involved. I think he understands that making the right decisions doesn't always get you the result you want, but over the long-haul you'll win more than you otherwise would have.

If LeCompte is taking the FG tries you all had better just used to a lot of 4th down attempts from the maroon zone. Maybe that'll be enough to convince the staff that going for it on 4th is very often the right call even when you do have more deep FG accuracy than at present. And the offensive coordinator will adjust is 3rd down call sheet for that part of the field accordingly.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 08-31-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I'd question how much gut is involved. I think he understands that making the right decisions doesn't always get you the result you want, but over the long-haul you'll win more than you otherwise would have.
    I agree...which is why I stated what the ESPN guys said...I did not say it was what I thought. My thinking is he goes by his gut...according to some predetermined set of parameters.