Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FCOA + maxed out scholarship= UND baseball getting cut?

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default FCOA + maxed out scholarship= UND baseball getting cut?

I am probably in the minority here but I love college Baseball. However, having two DI baseball programs in ND is tough on both programs and I have been hoping that at some point UND would drop this sport. What is the chance that UND will do this in order to fund FCOA? If one sport had to go up there, it would be Baseball.

Default Re: FCOA + maxed out scholarship= UND baseball getting cut?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I am probably in the minority here but I love college Baseball. However, having two DI baseball programs in ND is tough on both programs and I have been hoping that at some point UND would drop this sport. What is the chance that UND will do this in order to fund FCOA? If one sport had to go up there, it would be Baseball.
    and swimming and diving......then you have SDSU, must drain cash on equestrian....
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Good thing we dropped UWBW (under water basket weaving) when we did...it would be nibbling at our butts right now.

Looks like this might happen much sooner than speculated as UN_ has announced they are going to offer FCOA for all sports and will decide over the next few months on how to fund it. His direct quote in regards to cutting sports in the Herald was... “It’s not an option that I want to pursue, but at the end of the day, we have to do what makes the numbers work.”

Here is to hoping that Baseball is at the top of the list!

I could see them dropping tennis and swimming and diving to start out with. That keeps then at 7 and 8 in Men's and Women's sports which is +1 on the women's side. Dropping baseball also works because they can have just 6 men's sports if they have 8 women's sports. The Title IX compliance formulas are complex and sometimes subjective, so it is difficult to come up with the perfect number to maximize the dollars they already have without some serious data mining.

tjbison brought up SDSU's equestrian team. That is a head count sport where they can award 15 scholarships. They would probably have to cut into the men's side, as well. Their obvious targets would be wrestling or baseball.

I can't imagine SDSU would cut baseball to fund this would they? Equestrian is a ncaa emerging sport that is on its deathbed anyway so that may be up for discussion at some point. I hope not though, as it fits the Ag school model pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I can't imagine SDSU would cut baseball to fund this would they? Equestrian is a ncaa emerging sport that is on its deathbed anyway so that may be up for discussion at some point. I hope not though, as it fits the Ag school model pretty well.
    tjbison just brought up equestrian in draining SDSU. All I am saying if they did, they would have to cut from the men's side, as well. I know I haven't heard anything about SDSU cutting anything, so it was just conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    tjbison just brought up equestrian in draining SDSU. All I am saying if they did, they would have to cut from the men's side, as well. I know I haven't heard anything about SDSU cutting anything, so it was just conversation.
    I dont know how they could lose too much other than scholorship money on equestrian. You bring your own horse and you buy your own clothes and tack. Maybe hauling the horses. Do they pay for boarding?
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

I don't know much about Equestrian sports but had always kind of hoped that it might be a fit for NDSU at some point if we went FBS. With that said, I do know that everything with horses is expensive so I am sure it adds up quickly.

They don't call horses "hay burners" for nothing.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.