Page 83 of 390 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU vs Ducks

Default Re: NDSU vs Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    Hopefully Ducks don’t find a running qb that can throw well as well. That’s tough on any D. New qb, line and coordinator is overall to NDSU’s benefit but we also don’t really have any idea what to prepare for so we better be ready to do some serious in game adjusting
    We'll certainly have some wild card looks coming with a new coordinator, but I don't think you'll see any dramatically new tendencies. And yes, as some have alluded to already, I wouldn't be surprised if our playcalling was more conservative to limit film for the Buckeyes, and we'll lean on our defense to keep the Bison out of the endzone. Avalos' calling card is to give up yards if needed into the 20, then tighten up in the redzone.

How does the Bison secondary look in 2020? We never really saw Shough air it out much. More clean up time, hand offs and a few tunnel screens here and there. There's a lot of pressure for the WR corps to dramatically improve. Johnny Johnson, Mycah Pittman and Jaylon Redd will be the go-tos.

Your first start under center against an upset-minded Bison team. Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    We'll see what happens in spring ball and fall camp, but have to lean Oregon thus far. I am very confident we will play with you until the end. I am worried about our defensive line but the positive is that you have new OL starters and QB. I see Trey busting a few long runs. We may hold back on him running next year, but he will need to run in order to pull off the upset.
    Yeah I don't anticipate this being over at halftime. I certainly hope it is though.
    If we can take away the run game it could be a long day bc the secondary is stout and they'll sick Thibadeaux on Lance.
    But I know you tend to ground and pound as much as possible as keep composure. So as of now that's more of a distant hope.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckDuckGriz View Post
    We'll certainly have some wild card looks coming with a new coordinator, but I don't think you'll see any dramatically new tendencies. And yes, as some have alluded to already, I wouldn't be surprised if our playcalling was more conservative to limit film for the Buckeyes, and we'll lean on our defense to keep the Bison out of the endzone. Avalos' calling card is to give up yards if needed into the 20, then tighten up in the redzone.

How does the Bison secondary look in 2020? We never really saw Shough air it out much. More clean up time, hand offs and a few tunnel screens here and there. There's a lot of pressure for the WR corps to dramatically improve. Johnny Johnson, Mycah Pittman and Jaylon Redd will be the go-tos.
    #1 corner is physical and should hold his own. #2 is a big red flag. SS is back and FS is a new starter but played a lot. Overall, our defense is good at adjusting to different offenses and plays well in space. Lose our stud DE and both DT though. DT was a weak spot this year.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Your first start under center against an upset-minded Bison team. Yeesh.
    Our defense did a fare amount of bend but don’t break against good offenses. Numbers were good but imo not as nasty as previous years. As was mentioned we have a good corner and safety. Our 3rd corner wasn’t very good and I’m guessing a younger guy beats him for the second corner spot. Our DE should be decent but no returning all American like we are use to seeing. DT will be a camp battle. Have not had a real playmaker there for a couple years. LB will be good. You guys will be better on paper. Bison have been magic in big games. Just know how to take more talented teams out of their game and close out games better than any other sports team I’ve cheered for. I honestly wouldn’t bet against them even against a team like the Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    Our defense did a fare amount of bend but don’t break against good offenses. Numbers were good but imo not as nasty as previous years. As was mentioned we have a good corner and safety. Our 3rd corner wasn’t very good and I’m guessing a younger guy beats him for the second corner spot. Our DE should be decent but no returning all American like we are use to seeing. DT will be a camp battle. Have not had a real playmaker there for a couple years. LB will be good. You guys will be better on paper. Bison have been magic in big games. Just know how to take more talented teams out of their game and close out games better than any other sports team I’ve cheered for. I honestly wouldn’t bet against them even against a team like the Ducks
    I hate to tell ya but the secret has been out on NDSU for a while. I don't think you're sneaking up on anybody.

It makes me feel better for us that it's the first game and our guys will come out pumped (as will yours, of course).

Even so, I doubt the Rose Bowl champions are going to pay much attention to NDSU and be game planning for OSU before the first game.

I hate to tell ya but the secret has been out on NDSU for a while. I don't think you're sneaking up on anybody.

It makes me feel better for us that it's the first game and our guys will come out pumped (as will yours, of course).
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Even so, I doubt the Rose Bowl champions are going to pay much attention to NDSU and be game planning for OSU before the first game.
    Yeah, praying for the usual: NDSU focused, and FBS school overlooking us and then freeze up when they realize they’re in a dog fight.

First game helps NDSU IMO with you rolling out a new QB and 4 new OL plus OSU the next week.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think this will be the first game in a long, long while that the opponent has a more talented O line.

But NDSU should have a solid advantage at QB. I really hope Cox is back to his peak form by then.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    I think this mindset is contradictory to the amount of pride NDSU shows for their FBS wins. The narrative of the only reason NDSU wins FBS games is because we sneak up on people...not because we flat out beat them...really discredits the accomplishments of years past. I dont think the 2013 Bison would be excited to talk about how we sneaked up on Kansas St...I think their opinion is they went into Snyder Family Stadium and beat them because they were a better team.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.