Results 3,351 to 3,360 of 3897

Thread: NDSU vs Ducks

Default Re: NDSU @ Oregon 9.5.2020

heckler. $75-100 mostly
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU vs Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by RatherBeYachting View Post
    Hey, looks like this thread is back to football talk.

Oregon starts their spring practices tomorrow, culminating in the spring game on 4/18. Last year's game was a pretty decent looking scrimmage, with an announced attendance of 35k. I'm hoping they do a legit offense 1s vs 2s, and defensive 1s vs 2s again - that way I can at least have something to hold me over until fall camp. You guys are getting pretty familiar with Oregon football by now but here are some answers we're hoping to get a preview of:

* New offense. People have analyzed Joe Moorhead's offense from his days at Penn State and Miss State, but offenses are always evolving and adjust to the players on hand. Probably won't see much, but I'm looking to see if it's more shotgun based instead of the pistol we had with Arroyo.

* QB. The big position battle. Tyler Shough is obviously the front runner but it will be interesting to see if Jay Butterfield has anything to offer right away, or if Cale Millen is healthy enough and can compete.

Those two are the biggest improvements we can make from 2019. Arroyo's offense had it's moments but stalled too much with what most of consider predictability. And for as much as we loved local kid Herbert and his incredible arm, he was the most maddening QB considering his talent level. So poor under pressure, too many questionable throws. It seems crazy to say that replacing a top-10 pick at QB might make the team better, but this is a possibility when combined with a new offensive system.

* OL. It's not a big question of who the four guys other than Penei Sewell will be, more of a where. My guess is Steven Jones at RT, Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu at a guard spot, Alex Forsyth at center or LG, and Jonah Tauanu'u somewhere. A few more guys have chances, but I think the top four are a sure bet.

* TE. The opening day starter the past two years (Cam McCormick) is supposed to be back from injury: he's only played one half of football in the past two years with season ending injuries. He's supposed to a stud, but hasn't been able to stay healthy. We have a 6'5" 250 kid in Spencer Webb who was more of a WR hybrid, curious how he'll be used as Moorehead loves big WRs. We have a pure blocker in Hunter Kampmoyer. The real wild card is DJ Johnson, a former top-100 recruit and Miami transfer who was a rotation DE last year and switched positions. He's a 6'5" 275 pound athletic freak who in HS was running the 100m in the 10.8s.

* WR. Not much unknown here. Johnny Johnson III, Jaylon Redd, and Mycah Pittman are proven commodities. The question is how big of a role Devon Williams will have after sitting out a year as a transfer from USC, he's the most highly touted of the WRs and we're all excited to see him. Williams will probably be battling another lanky 6'5" guy Bryan Addison.

* DL. Not much mystery here, maybe just how the staff slots the younger guy back-ups.

* LB. Biggest thing to see here is where 5-star LB Noah Sewell lines up, before 5-star Justin Flowe arrives. The rotation at ILB spots will be interesting. And who the staff views as the replacement at OLB, with my guess being Adrian Jackson who missed last year with an injury but was poised to be a major contributor.

* DB. Nothing really new here since everyone is back. Maybe just how the safety rotation goes between Brady Breeze and Nick Pickett. Breeze just dominated in the USC, Utah, and Wisconsin games.

The game will be on Pac-12 net, and usually gets uploaded to YouTube soon after.
    Well, as opposed to others, I do care. This was a great read for me to get caught up on the Duck team. Thank you for posting, I appreciate it!!!

Default NDSU vs Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    He may well be.

Are your 4 star recruits, who have Ohio State coming to town the next week?
    We aren’t really counting on any incoming recruits to be major contributors. If they play it just means they are that good. There are some we think will carve out roles but that’s because of their talent and ability not a hole in the depth somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by QB11SD View Post
    We aren’t really counting on any incoming recruits to be major contributors. If they play it just means they are that good. There are some we think will carve out roles but that’s because of their talent and ability not a hole in the depth somewhere

Breaking in four offensive linemen, I promise you'll miss that experience against our front 7.

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    As pointed out elsewhere, this is not correct. Massey also shows FBS and FCS together on the same scale. I'm guessing there are other lesser known computer models that also include all of D-I on the same scale.

Also consider that IF Sagarin and Massey are not reliable in FBS vs FCS relative ratings, then why is it that these computer models still accurately predict the winner of games roughly 75% of the time, even in FBS vs FCS match ups?
    https://twitter.com/espn_billc/statu...710995456?s=21
    Here is a twitter thread from Bill C on how he handles FBS vs FCS it’s far from a perfect science but basically he has NDSU as a top 40 ish FBS team annually. The problem for comparative analysis is lack of sample. A bunch of one off FBSvFCS matchups doesn’t give a reliable sample.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    Breaking in four offensive linemen, I promise you'll miss that experience against our front 7.
    The OL will be guys biding their time as upperclassmen with an infusion of great talent. The unit gets the most coaching attention on the field. I am not worried.

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by QB11SD View Post
    https://twitter.com/espn_billc/statu...710995456?s=21
    Here is a twitter thread from Bill C on how he handles FBS vs FCS it’s far from a perfect science but basically he has NDSU as a top 40 ish FBS team annually. The problem for comparative analysis is lack of sample. A bunch of one off FBSvFCS matchups doesn’t give a reliable sample.

Seems pretty reasonable to say ndsu is stop 40ish team annually with a chance to win games up to the top 10ish mark dependant on any given Saturday & scheme/matchups. Also reasonable to say that this upcoming season we may have our best offense ever. D will be solid. Could bump up our possible victories into the fbs 5-6ish range. Plus higher than that, as had been discussed really is another tier of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    Seems pretty reasonable to say ndsu is stop 40ish team annually with a chance to win games up to the top 10ish mark dependant on any given Saturday & scheme/matchups. Also reasonable to say that this upcoming season we may have our best offense ever. D will be solid. Could bump up our possible victories into the fbs 5-6ish range. Plus higher than that, as had been discussed really is another tier of talent.
    A top 40ish team doesn’t beat a top 10 very often. The matchups have to work out favorably. Oregon’s defense is going to be a nightmare. This is a top 5 defense in the FBS. It’s deep, athletic, multiple and without any holes. I would feel much worse if we had questions on defense. Iowa and KSU play a style of offense that that plays right into your hands.

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonduck View Post
    A top 40ish team doesn’t beat a top 10 very often. The matchups have to work out favorably. Oregon’s defense is going to be a nightmare. This is a top 5 defense in the FBS. It’s deep, athletic, multiple and without any holes. I would feel much worse if we had questions on defense. Iowa and KSU play a style of offense that that plays right into your hands.
    No shit, but it does happen. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    No shit, but it does happen. Lol
    I am reiterating what you said and don’t see favorable matchups. Our weakness is interior OL experience. Your interior DL is inexperienced.

My main point is NDSU doesn’t have a lot of matchups on paper where it’s strength vs weakness.