Page 37 of 390 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU vs Ducks

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU vs Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
    Anyone else planning to drive to Eugene from ND? Little under 1300 miles each way. Lots of mountains on the drive but a lot more desolate wasteland to drive through. Anyone make the drive before?
    I've only done it a couple of dozen times back when I'd travel back to western ND for xmas or some other event. If I was just doing a super fast swing through, I'd go I-84 to Hermiston, OR, then north through the Tri-Cities, connecting to I-90 at Ritzville, WA, then east from there. If I wanted to do a more scenic trip, I'd go through Boise, then swing up to West Yellowstone and drive along the Gallatin River up to Bozo. If you want even more scenic, consider going out the east side of Yellowstone, through Cody, WY and then east through the Big Horns. I personally wouldn't try to do a shortcut on HWY 26/20/126 from Boise to Eugene through Eastern Oregon. Those roads are all small and slow and there's not as much to see. The one exception is the McKenzie Pass through the Cascades between Bend and Eugene. There's spectacular fly fishing and a little bit of whitewater there.

If anyone needs some individual advice, just PM me.
    Insert something clever here...

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I've only done it a couple of dozen times back when I'd travel back to western ND for xmas or some other event. If I was just doing a super fast swing through, I'd go I-84 to Hermiston, OR, then north through the Tri-Cities, connecting to I-90 at Ritzville, WA, then east from there. If I wanted to do a more scenic trip, I'd go through Boise, then swing up to West Yellowstone and drive along the Gallatin River up to Bozo. If you want even more scenic, consider going out the east side of Yellowstone, through Cody, WY and then east through the Big Horns. I personally wouldn't try to do a shortcut on HWY 26/20/126 from Boise to Eugene through Eastern Oregon. Those roads are all small and slow and there's not as much to see. The one exception is the McKenzie Pass through the Cascades between Bend and Eugene. There's spectacular fly fishing and a little bit of whitewater there.

If anyone needs some individual advice, just PM me.
    I was thinking about hitting up glacier. Nothing in between home and glacier I know that but should be pretty after that. I'll be starting out north of highway 2 anyways.

Lardsin must go!

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Also considering taking the trans Canada. Just for the sights. Probably take a different way there and back

Lardsin must go!

I've driven Bismarck to Portland and back via I-94, I-90, US 395, and I-84 close to 40 times in the past 30 some years. I like the drive but the fastest you can do it one way is 17 hours. Portland to Eugene is roughly 2 hours and it's the shittiest part of the drive. ND to Red Lodge, up Bear Tooth, through Yellowstone to Jackson, Wyo is awesome but Southern Idaho to the Oregon border is pretty desolate. Driving I-84 through Oregon is nice, especially when you get into the Colombia River Gorge. If you have never seen the Gorge, it is worth driving through.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Puetz View Post
    I've driven Bismarck to Portland and back via I-94, I-90, US 395, and I-84 close to 40 times in the past 30 some years. I like the drive but the fastest you can do it one way is 17 hours. Portland to Eugene is roughly 2 hours and it's the shittiest part of the drive. ND to Red Lodge, up Bear Tooth, through Yellowstone to Jackson, Wyo is awesome but Southern Idaho to the Oregon border is pretty desolate. Driving I-84 through Oregon is nice, especially when you get into the Colombia River Gorge. If you have never seen the Gorge, it is worth driving through.
    In the section of the Gorge between Hood River and Troutdale (about 45 miles) there are 75 named waterfalls. If you get off the freeway at exit 35 and take the Historic Highway to Portland, you can stop at several. You can also do a few small easy hikes to a few falls. Of course, there's an endless amount of other hiking, easy to very vigorous, that help to access many others. Plan at least half a day in the area to get the most out of it. If you have more time in the area, and if the weather is warm, consider trekking through Oneonta Gorge to the falls at the south end. Absolutely stunning environment. Accessed from roughly around Exit 35 from I-84.
    Insert something clever here...

Climb the trail to the top of Multnomah Falls. I'm glad I did this when I was much younger!

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
    Anyone else planning to drive to Eugene from ND? Little under 1300 miles each way. Lots of mountains on the drive but a lot more desolate wasteland to drive through. Anyone make the drive before?
    I was out in the Sisters, OR area hiking 3 years ago. Yep, lots of nothing in a lot of places.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

If you are driving the Columbia Gorge to Portland, hope for clear skies so you can get a glimpse of Mt. Hood. Awesome. And to drive to the lodge at the base of Mt. Hood and hike is also a winner.

Will drive.

I actually have to be in Oregon three times next summer, so I might just move.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

We'll fly, and my goal is to get down to crater lake at some point during the trip. I just haven't decided how we'll do it.

My first thought when the game was announced was to fly into Seattle and driving the rest of it and flying back out of Eugene hitting it up after the game. That looks like it would be the be the cheapest if the game were this year, but I'm not sure how much fun all that driving would be with a 5 year old and 3 year old. Maybe if I can talk grandma into taking the kids for the weekend. Flying into Medford, going before, and driving up looks like it might not be too bad.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.