Page 157 of 390 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207257 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 3897

Thread: NDSU vs Ducks

Default Re: NDSU @ Oregon 9.5.2020

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    A few teams had pretty good success running the ball against us, and we still refused to stack the box to sell out for the run. In those games it seemed we'd be willing to give up 4 yards/rush, because some of those runs are 0, 1, 2 yards and set up 2nd & 3rd and long. On those 3rd and longs we have a real good chance of getting off the field. The trade off was giving up a couple or so first downs and forcing a kick, rather than stacking the box and potentially getting burned downfield by the pass.

I imagine that mindset will be the same against you. If you are averaging around 4 ypc, enough of those will be for 0 or 1 yard to set up 3rd and long situations where we have a good chance of getting off the field. If you are able to average 6-7 ypc then we will probably be in big trouble because we would have to bring another defender down.
    A lot of teams and staffs will get impatient taking the 4 yard gain. And throw the ball when they don’t need to and get behind the chains and then panic. With a new OC it’s hard to say with Oregon but Moorhead has never been more than 55% one way or the other in regards to run/pass splits so I’ll bet we are very balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you lose both or just one starter at DT from 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by QB11SD View Post
    Every one of those turnovers was forced. INT was because of pressure from Thib, Punt was getting blocked regardless, fumble was a hat on the ball.

CAS4127 is talking out of his butt. Those TOs were forced. My fave is when Breeze stripped the ball away from the Badger. Damn he was fierce.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonduck View Post
    So, you haven’t ran into anyone that consistently runs the ball on you.
    Not consistently enough, but very few teams are consistent enough to get at least 3-4 yards a carry without any negative or zero yardage plays.

My post was in response to QB11 assuming that we are going to start out the game by stacking the box against you. We'll start out playing our base defense and focus on getting off the field when we get you into 3rd down, then adjust if needed.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A lot of teams and staffs will get impatient taking the 4 yard gain. And throw the ball when they don’t need to and get behind the chains and then panic. With a new OC it’s hard to say with Oregon but Moorhead has never been more than 55% one way or the other in regards to run/pass splits so I’ll bet we are very balanced.

This is another factor, that teams get impatient. Also, teams will throw the ball a fair amount on first down just for balance, and any incompletion there puts a team behind the chains as well.

Keeping the offense from getting a lot of "chunk plays" will give you more opportunities to get off the field on 3rd downs, either when you stuff a run or the other team gets impatient/outsmarts themselves. Even the best teams convert a little over 50%, so if you force 2 or 3 3rd downs in a possession odds are in your favor.

Hello Bison Fans, another Oregon fan here offering a somewhat different perspective. I’m a contributor for ScoopDuck.com which is the largest Oregon Football Forum on the web where I write X and O’s and Personnel based content. The offseason is less than 3 weeks old and I’m already bored and starting to dig my teeth into some NDSU tape ahead of our September matchup.
    Subscribed.

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    This is another factor, that teams get impatient. Also, teams will throw the ball a fair amount on first down just for balance, and any incompletion there puts a team behind the chains as well.

Keeping the offense from getting a lot of "chunk plays" will give you more opportunities to get off the field on 3rd downs, either when you stuff a run or the other team gets impatient/outsmarts themselves. Even the best teams convert a little over 50%, so if you force 2 or 3 3rd downs in a possession odds are in your favor.
    It does seem as though we bet teams they can't run 14 perfect plays in a row and score on us. Plus we tighten up in the red zone substantially

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A fair number of good drives by opponents ended in ints. We will miss half of our ballhawk safety tandem.

Do you lose both or just one starter at DT from 2019?

Graduated a couple guys with lots of playing time there but return a couple that saw quite a bit of action. We aren’t what we use to be on the D-line and it’s arguably the biggest step back we have taken and partially why teams ran on us so easily. Going back to 2011 we’ve gone into every offseason season with at least 1 returning All American, and usually 1 at DE and 1 at DT. Last year was one really good DE and this offseason nothing. Unless a redshirt comes in at that level all the returning guys just look like average fcs players which is scary to me facing you guys. I have hopes that we will see some guys become special but right now the entire D line lacks playmakers and any kind of dominance. Huge question mark for me. With all the recruiting hype we have had on that line, the attrition and lack of studs is bad

I also have concerns at filling safety and another shut down corner, but it seems like we always develop great safeties