Page 87 of 390 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU vs Ducks

Bison_Pride is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU vs Ducks

So lets say the Ducks come into the game ranked either 4th, or 5th in the national rankings and NDSU pulls the big upset and wins the game.

Where does this rank in the echelon of FCS upsets of FBS teams?
    Higher or lower than Michigan/App St? Equal?

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    This team will test and maybe surpass 2013 with eventual NFL guys
    This post caught my eye so I did some digging. OP (reformedUNDfan) suggested 9 Bison players on the 2020 team will be drafted or play in the NFL. Historically, I see 10 NDSU players drafted since 2000, with another 8 that made a team in some fashion during that time. I find it kind of hard to believe that this Bison team will have 1/2 the NFL talent on it that the previous 19 years worth of teams had.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    Lance
    Radunz
    Jabril
    Volson
    Watson

Gindorf
    Babicz
    Hayes
    Luepke
    List is a bit rosy. Highlighted the guys I see as potential NFL talent.

mtoutfitter is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Ode2Luke View Post
    This post caught my eye so I did some digging. OP (reformedUNDfan) suggested 9 Bison players on the 2020 team will be drafted or play in the NFL. Historically, I see 10 NDSU players drafted since 2000, with another 8 that made a team in some fashion during that time. I find it kind of hard to believe that this Bison team will have 1/2 the NFL talent on it that the previous 19 years worth of teams had.

Thoughts?
    Total team members? I can realistically see 8 to 10 guys over the next 4 yrs as having decent NFL chances. Could also be just 5 or so....hard to say.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    I'm talking O-line only.

Both tackles I think will be drafted, I don't think it's crazy to think that Jensen, Schoening, or whoever is taking the open slot gets a free agent shot like the elder Volson. I keep reading on Bville that the underclassman OT's are pushing Cordell for playing time and he might get moved inside.

If you want to talk the whole team, there are probably 8 upperclassmen who will spend some time in the pros on the starting roster. In approximate order of draft/free agency

Lance
    Radunz
    Jabril
    Volson
    Watson

Gindorf
    Babicz
    Hayes
    Luepke

and thats ignoring some outstanding underclassman and the entire RB room.

2020 NDSU is going to be an absolute monstrosity of a team. Preseason GOAT. The only position of percieved weakness is a defensive line that was quietly decimated by injury in 2019 and full of underclassmen. NDSU is going full 2009 Boise State next year.
    That would be awesome, but Im guessing maybe half of them ever make an NFL roster. I also wish more of that overall talent was on defense but I love our offense

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    List is a bit rosy. Highlighted the guys I see as potential NFL talent.
    Possibly, I just have a hard time thinking the entire OLine will play in the pros when NDSU over the last 20 years has only had 4 OL guys, 5 if you count TE’s, play in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison_Pride View Post
    So lets say the Ducks come into the game ranked either 4th, or 5th in the national rankings and NDSU pulls the big upset and wins the game.

Where does this rank in the echelon of FCS upsets of FBS teams?
    Higher or lower than Michigan/App St? Equal?
    App state @ #5 Michigan, to me anyways, is the standard. If they beat Ohio St, then i think it proceeds App/ Michigan. If Oregon loses and starts 0-2... then no. Michigan had a pretty meh season despite the offensive talent on the team..9-4 capital one bowl champs

Kinda funny that 07 Michigan team was taken to the woodshed the next week by Oregon 39-7..... at Ann arbor.

I do give ndsu a small chance considering the Ohio st game shadows ours big time, sooo i hope most of their offseason attention is paid to that. Im just not sold on ndsus defense being a p5 slaying defense like teams past. When we think Oregon we think Taiwan Jones at every position. Ndsu is going to need to have its best rushing game in program history. Doesnt need to be 400+ yards... but no run stuffs where it's 3rd and long and obvious passing downs giving the ball back to Oregon. Time of possession is going to be absolutely critical.

If they lose, it's not gonna matter... they're still going 14-1 likely with 9 out of 10 barring injury

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    App state @ #5 Michigan, to me anyways, is the standard. If they beat Ohio St, then i think it proceeds App/ Michigan. If Oregon loses and starts 0-2... then no. Michigan had a pretty meh season despite the offensive talent on the team..9-4 capital one bowl champs

Kinda funny that 07 Michigan team was taken to the woodshed the next week by Oregon 39-7..... at Ann arbor.

I do give ndsu a small chance considering the Ohio st game shadows ours big time, sooo i hope most of their offseason attention is paid to that. Im just not sold on ndsus defense being a p5 slaying defense like teams past. When we think Oregon we think Taiwan Jones at every position. Ndsu is going to need to have its best rushing game in program history. Doesnt need to be 400+ yards... but no run stuffs where it's 3rd and long and obvious passing downs giving the ball back to Oregon. Time of possession is going to be absolutely critical.

If they lose, it's not gonna matter... they're still going 14-1 likely with 9 out of 10 barring injury
    NDSU has plenty of Taiwan Jones-caliber players themselves and plenty that are even better. The program has been evolving since the not-a-fumble game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    NDSU has plenty of Taiwan Jones-caliber players themselves and plenty that are even better. The program has been evolving since the not-a-fumble game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not exactly my point but ok.

It will be great if the Bison beat the Ducks to start the 2020 season.
    The Ducks have a good team, it will be challenge, but the Bison have a shot. I am sure they will bring their A game, and won't roll over if they get behind.

My biggest reservation about the game is the attitude of the NDSU coaching staff on how they use their QB. In the tougher games they rely on the QB running the ball more, based on the 2019 season. Entz said in the JMU post-game this was part of their game plan in that game. This remains a good formula for getting your QB banged up or injured b/c the better teams are generally going to have better defenses (bigger, faster, stronger players).

I feel NDSU needs to figure out how to be less predictable and more innovative (mask plays better), but also distribute the workload as part of the unpredictability. Being willing to sacrifice (maybe too strong a word?) the QB to win a big game is not a long-term formula for success IMO.