Page 113 of 390 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 3897

Thread: NDSU vs Ducks

Default Re: NDSU @ Oregon 9.5.2020

Quote Originally Posted by charlestonduck View Post
    I am more interested in debating matchups ... for example, let’s debate the matchups at the line of scrimmage, wr/db ...
    OL will be a strength for us. I think we should be able to hold our own. Pass protection was a strength of ours this past season and if things breakdown, Lance runs. Even with new starters, Oregon should have an advantage with their OL vs our DL. I think we will struggle to get to your QB and our run D up the middle wasnt the best we've had. If we have to send extra guys to stop the run up the middle, we will lose.

Our WR are the fastest we've ever had. I think some of that will be negated vs Oregons seconday. We should utilize our Tight Ends a lot.

Of course it's early and things can change.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Oregon will have tremendous talent on the O line, but potentially not much experience. Every coach says the most growth for a player happens between the week 1 and week 2 games.

NDSU should have a decisive advantage at QB. I know Oregon homers will dispute this, but whatever. I think Lance might be a top 15 QB in all of college football next year.

Oregon's secondary will be incredibly talented, and I don't see NDSU having much success through the air.

NDSU will have awesome RB depth, as much as anyone in FCS. We'll see if Oregon's D line can hold up to the rushing attack which only loses 1 O lineman from this year's.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    NDSU should have a decisive advantage at QB.

Oregon's secondary will be incredibly talented, and I don't see NDSU having much success through the air.

We'll see if Oregon's D line can hold up to the rushing attack which only loses 1 O lineman from this year's.
    Agreed that Lance has an edge vs Shough, if they played straight up vs a common defense. The problem for him will be he’s going to be going up against what could be the best defense Oregon’s ever fielded. If the secondary can take away passing as a significant threat. It greatly neutralizes Lance’s advantage at QB. If the game is going to be rushing and QB scrambles it might be a really long day for the Bison defense. Here’s the edited down version of what they’ll be up against from Rob Mosley’s (local beat writer)end of season review.

https://goducks.com/news/2020/1/30/f...sive-line.aspx

Oregon's defensive front was at the vanguard of what ended up being an elite unit for the Ducks in 2019. The UO defense allowed its fewest rushing yards per game in more than a decade, and the fewest rushing touchdowns in a season since the days of the Pacific Coast Conference. Opponents rushed for just 108.9 yards per game against the Ducks in 2019, the most stout run defense played by Oregon since 2003 (107.1), and the Ducks allowed just five rushing touchdowns all year — the first time a UO defense allowed a total in the single digits since 1963 (nine).

Scott started 13 games at nose tackle and also shifted out to tangle with guards and even tackles at times, eating up space between the guards while also contributing 32 tackles. Faoliu led the UO linemen with 39 tackles; when Scott and Faoliu announced in January they intended to remain at Oregon in seniors in 2020, both expressed determination to become more effective pass rushers.

The primary pass-rush threats were Cumberlander, until his career cruelly was cut short by an injury, and then the freshman all-American Thibodeaux. Excelling first as a backup to Cumberlander and than as a starter over five games following the senior's injury, Thibodeaux led the Ducks with nine sacks and 14 tackles for loss. He became much more than a pure pass-rusher late in the season, holding his own at the point of attack and even beating interior linemen from Utah and Wisconsin in the postseason.

Reserves: Among the biggest year-over-year improvements on the team was enjoyed by Popo Aumavae who matured into a reliable contributor in 2019. He led the UO interior line with 3.5 sacks, including one late in the game at Washington that helped seal Oregon's victory in Seattle. By season's end perhaps the most intriguing reserve was true freshman Brandon Dorlus. He began the year with some late-game appearances against nonconference foes, seemingly in line to retain his redshirt. But Dorlus saw the field in each of the last three games, and made his presence felt when he did so.

The return of Scott and Faoliu alongside Thibodeaux gives Oregon a very strong three-man line to open 2020. The group behind them — Aumavae, Dorlus and Johnson, potentially — lacks their level of experience, but all have shown encouraging signs the last season or two. Johnson in particular still seems only to have scratched the surface of his potential, so his progress in spring will be something to watch.

NDSU’s quarterback is definitely more experienced than ours—no debate. But the real matchup will be his ability to make plays against our defense ... and our crowd—by anyone’s listing Autzen Stadium is top 10 in loudest/most hostile home fields. I have witnessed Ty Detmer (year AFTER he won Heisman), Troy Aikman, Jared Goff (got pulled), and dozens of other NFL talented quarterbacks get rattled by the noise there.

Do the Ducks rotate a lot on the dline?

NDSU’s quarterback is definitely more experienced than ours—no debate. But the real matchup will be his ability to make plays against our defense ... and our crowd—by anyone’s listing Autzen Stadium is top 10 in loudest/most hostile home fields. I have witnessed Ty Detmer (year AFTER he won Heisman), Troy Aikman, Jared Goff (got pulled), and dozens of other NFL talented quarterbacks get rattled by the noise there.
    Time to blow the speakers inside the Fargo dome to work on audibles and snap counts.

Autzen is bad ass. Loved in the NCAA football game how squiggly the line is if you were an opposing quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Do the Ducks rotate a lot on the dline?
    Yes, probably more than any position group. I doubt anyone on our d-line played more than 50-60% of our defensive snaps. We lost a few depth players that contributed a lot (Cumberlander—injury, Drayton Carlsburg, Sione Kava & Gary Baker), but our coaching used the 4-game redshirt rule to work in our freshman (Kristian Williams, Keyon Ware-Hudson, Sua’ava Poti). From our rotation we return Kayvon Thibodeaux, Austin Faoliu, Jordon Scott (returning starters), DJ Johnson, Popo Aumavae, Andrew Faoliu, and Brandon Dorlus.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Time to blow the speakers inside the Fargo dome to work on audibles and snap counts.

Autzen is bad ass. Loved in the NCAA football game how squiggly the line is if you were an opposing quarterback.
    Lmao I was always like "shit forgot my playcall. Not even gonna bother looking at a bunch of squiggles. Better just audible to a Dive here on this crucial third down."
    College of Business Alumnus

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have never, ever heard anyone list Oregon as a substantial home field advantage the way they describe places like Florida, LSU, Clemson, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post

At least the weather should be perfect ... late August/early September is Chamber of Conference weather in Eugene.