Page 104 of 390 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 3897

Thread: NDSU vs Ducks

Default Re: NDSU vs Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    In your mind is there any chance our QB will be better than ours?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I'm putting this here even though a visitor posted the link the other day. This Tyler Shough (sophomore) dude is really impressive.
    I'm not saying he is better than Trey Lance...but he looks damn good. He's the QB for the yellow team. He puts on a couple Wentz-like escape moves from the pocket and shows a lot of speed.

BisonHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This idiot that loves saying 9 out of 10 fbs teams beat fcs teams seems to not understand the 1 left over. Someone insert Dumb and Dumber, "So your saying there's a chance!" Dude can shoot his mouth 24 hours a day for months and it wont change a thing. The game still has to be played and anything can happen on any given day. Who knows we may hand them the 1 this guy doesnt realize exists.
    you mess with the ^Bison^ you get the horns

Quote Originally Posted by charlestonduck View Post
    What ND State has accomplished is AMAZING, and if the Bison leave Autzen Stadium with a win, it will be well earned—not because they were overlooking your squad. Oregon fans expect a competitive contest, and to be perfectly frank, a win. Here is a long overview of the team you’ll be facing.

Oregon is not Iowa, Minnesota, or K-State. Simply put, we recruit at a whole different level than those teams, and have astronomically better facilities (designed to train athletes using the best technology available). Oregon is in the top 10 over the past 2 decades for wins.

On offense, we will be fine. Shough (former 4*) has looked really good when on the field, and has the confidence of the coaches and his teammates. Yes we lost 5 quality o-lineman, but the cupboard is far from bare. Anchoring the line is Penei Sewers (who won the Outland trophy as a true sophomore), and is projected as the #1 pick in next year’s draft. We also return the player that started and played well when Sewell was injured in 2018, Steven Jones (6-7, 354), Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu (6-6, 315), Jonah Tauanu’u (6-5, 335), Alex Forsyth (6-4, 305), Dawson Jamarillo (6-5, 315) & Chris Randazzo (6-6, 325)—all former 4* recruits we had the luxury of 4-game redshirting. Add in that we signed the #1 JC o-line recruit, that enrolled this month ... and I have no worries about our o-line.

We return all of our running backs, and add a 4* recruit to the mix there as well. We return 2/3 of our starting receivers, plus a lot of young talent (7 former 4* recruits on roster at WR) and a former 4/5* recruit that sat out last year as a transfer, and at least 1 4* recruit. Plus, our best TE will return from injury.

As good as we are projected to be on offense, we will be better on defense! Our d-line returns 3 starters, including 3 year starter Jordon Scott (6-1, 325), and starters Austin Faoliu and Kayvon Thibodeaux (6-5,240, former #1 recruit in the nation who lived up to his billing). We also return regulars from our rotation Popo Aumavae, DJ Johnson, Brandon Dorlus & Austin Faoliu. Plus 2 former 4* recruits that we were able to 4-game redshirt, and 4/5 stud recruits.

At linebacker, we lost a couple of starters, but we return a lot of talented backups that have lived up to their recruiting hype, speaking of recruits we add two 5* Justin Flowe and Noah Sewell and two 4* recruits.

In the secondary we return everyone, from a unit that was amongst the leaders in interceptions last year. Both our corners as former All-Americans that have started since their freshman year (Thomas Graham and Deommodore Lenoir)—they will be on an island, so take your shots. Backing them up are last year’s #1 corner recruit in the nation, freshman All-American Mykael Wright and 5* recruit Dontae Manning. We return all of our starting safeties—Rose Bowl d-MVP Brady Breeze, the guy he split time with Nick Pickett. Verone McKinley at FS, and our best DB—All American, Jevon Holland. Plus we add a former freshman A-A at Illinois, and two more 4* recruits.

Again, I am not saying you don’t have a chance, but Oregon will be the most talented team you have ever played. I would be extremely shocked if you wear down our d-line like so many predict here. Jonathan Taylor couldn’t run for 100 yards vs. us behind a line that had All-Americans. Not to mention, we don’t lose very often at home ...
    This is a good summary of Oregon's strengths and the * system suggests the team has an abundance of athletic ability, talent. That said, there are plenty of teams with talented players that get beat for various reasons, perhaps the biggest is not playing together as a team. As for the talent differential implied in the above post, some thoughts.

NDSU does a good job, perhaps as good a job as any college football program in the US, on developing its players. States like CA, TX, FL have a lot of retired pros living in it who contribute time on high school teams or live in places where the local coaches can rub elbows with them, learn from them. As a result you have high school kids who had great coaches and this is part of the reason the majority of the 3*, 4* and 5* high school players come from states such as those. Contrast this with players from NDSU's recruiting base - who in many cases had high school coaches with limited knowledge of the game, especially small rural high schools. These schools won't put out a 3*, 4*, or 5* player, but some of these players will get to NDSU and blossom because they finally have coaches and a program that can develop the talent they have - as much raw talent as a some of the * rated high school players. Some of them will have same raw talent as a 4* Duck, but it will not get realized until it gets developed in a well-coached college program. This is one of the reasons, amongst others, that NDSU has a better shot at beating Oregon than some people think. Talent and ability.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU @ Oregon 9.5.2020

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I have no doubt NDSU will represent themselves as well as they can. Could even win. Just going to be a really different caliber of Jimmies and Joes than any of our guys have played against. Oregon and Iowa/Kansas State do not shop at the same grocery stores. Going to be a really unique challenge. Really looking forward to seeing how NDSU looks in this one.

For context..

Oregon 247 Recruiting Rankings
    2020 #12
    2019 #7
    2018 #13
    2017 #19
    2016 #27

Iowa 247 Ratings
    2016 #47
    2015 #59
    2014 #58
    2013 #56
    2012 #40

Oregon has recruited well. Obviously recruiting isn't everything but...damn.

I mean, LSU this past year was pretty historic at least on the eye-test. I'm not sure where they rank compared to other champions but...lmao the SEC title + the CFP was downright terrifying.
    That Iowa team had NFL talent all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    It appears the point goes right over your head.

The point isnt that Iowa doesn't/didn't have some studs who made it to the NFL. They are a solid B1G program. Of course they'll have some cats who can play.

The point is that Oregon has recruited significantly better. There will be some really bad matchups for NDSU out there, I'm assuming.
    College of Business Alumnus

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Flights booked.
    Looking good Billy Ray!

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Ode2Luke View Post
    Granted, there are a few arguments why Bison could win next year. But with the defense Oregon will field next year, someone could seriously argue that NDSU scoring more than 3 points outside of garbage time is optimistic.
    That may have been true in past years, but next years offense matches up better against Oregon's D than any of our previous teams would have. Not saying we'll be able to move the ball at will, but I'll be surprised if we don't grind out a score at least in the 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    And they had Greg Davis as offensive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonHorns View Post
    This idiot that loves saying 9 out of 10 fbs teams beat fcs teams seems to not understand the 1 left over.... The game still has to be played and anything can happen on any given day. Who knows we may hand them the 1 this guy doesnt realize exists.
    Sorry you’re misunderstanding/misquoting me. Originally, I was replying to the poster comparing all the NC’s NDSU’s won to the none that Oregon has. I was making the point that the level of competition FCS to FBS is drastically different overall.

Since 1978, when they formed the divisions, FCS teams lose to FBS teams nearly all of the time. I can’t even find the actual overall record. FCS has won 198 games as of last summer that works out to about 5 wins a year on average out of how many games? 100+ per year? The SEC alone probably plays 30+ FCS teams a year.

Those wins are also almost always a good/great FCs team beating a bad FBS team. Over that 42 year time period FCS teams beat a ranked FBS team 5 times (NDSU has one of those vs #13 Iowa.) 1 win vs ranked teams every 8 years, that’s probably what, 1 out of every 200-300 chances. (Assuming 30ish ranked teams each play an FCS team once per year for 8 years, and subtract some for teams moving out of the rankings).

NDSU has been great vs FBS by they’ve also played some bad FBS teams

2007 - 1-10 MINN record
    2010 - 3-9 KAN record
    2011 - 3-9 MINN record
    2012 - 4-8 CSU record
    2013 - 8-5 KSU record, decent team, 11-2 2012 KSU team lost 35-17 to Oregon in Fiesta Bowl.
    2014 - 2-10 ISU record
    2016 - 8-5 Iowa record, decent team, ranked 13 when NDSU beat them.

I think there’s a chance NDSU can win. It’s a small chance, but it would arguably be the biggest FCS vs FBS upset in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    As a result you have high school kids who had great coaches and this is part of the reason the majority of the 3*, 4* and 5* high school players come from states such as those.
    Edited your post a bit but you make some really good points about the development of recruits, but I think that numbers play a bigger role in * rankings than coaching. CA, TX and FL produce the most 5* recruits because they’re the states with the most kids playing football, that’s really true for any of the major population football states. Regional issues also play a huge role in this. There are myriad articles recently here on the West Coast about the numbers game in football. GA 5* player is 1 in 10,000, but in California it’s closer to 1 in 15,000. The type of player by region is also interesting. This regional is especially pronounced on Defense. especially on the DL. Most of the highest quality DL guys are in the SEC footprint.

That’s what makes Cristobal so different from previous OR coaches. He’s going to the SEC to try and get kids. He’s working on flipping a 4* Alabama commit DL recruit right now. We’ll find out on the 5th if it worked.